Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

By the time of macross plus the whole inside of a cocckpit is a screen that wraps around the pilot to look in a wide area.

So I don't think the head turret's main camera determines how much you can see at once. The sensor eye probably just provides the more powerful zoom lens for the head laser when shooting laser at range, and if that is gone then there are auxilary cameras. There is probably a "manual aim mode" so if a pilot wants to shoot an object without accidentally hitting other objects close to the target, then they can control the head laser for surgical shot. And the head laser is synced to the bigger camera in the head which might see further in higher resolution. (ie laser shot more accurate and precise than giant bullets from a gatling gun which probably has its own crappy camera in the gunpod)

Do you remember when Dyson and Guld had a robot vs robot fight in Macross Plus in ep4? Dyson could see about 180 degrees around his cockpit. (his robot arm is clearly visible at his side when they show cockpit view)

They probably learned their lesson and avoided that weakness of only relying on the head for seeing in robot mode. It makes sense given when you are in robot mode you are going to be up close and personal in combat so being able to look in wider field has huge advantage. No need to swish the camera left/right/up/down to see before reacting to threats.

Another thing is the head laser doesn't seem to be used as anti mecha weapon in later macross shows but just as a gun to shoot backwards in fighter mode. The early vf-1 and vf-0 show it shooting micro missiles in bot mode but from macross plus onwards, it's just a secondary weapon to attack with. It probably has more accuracy than bullets but poorer damage at long range than gunpod/main energy/laser weapons so it's not used as often. (the defensive tech like pinnpoint barriers etc has probably gotten ahead of the smaller weapons in advancements and now it's just used mostly as an anti-micro missile thing not an anti mecha weapon.) You are better off doing a pinpoint barrier punch to stop your enemy at close range than trying to frantically burn his eyeballs out with the little laser cannon as he bum rushes you to tackle you.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

In that first episode, the YF-21 is shown testing a few external cameras/sensors before launch. I doubt the head is the full sensor suite, so the hood might not obscure as much as we think.

Not to mention pulling back to in-between the tail fins, which is view you couldn't gain from a physical camera because the shot is above the YF-21. I had always assumed that the cameras and sensors were used to generate a virtual representation of the environment, not necessarily a direct video feed. The more camera and sensors you have to scan the environment the better. The sensors in the head could be more detailed/sensitive, and be used as the focal point/persepective for battroid.

Not to mention pulling back to in-between the tail fins, which is view you couldn't gain from a physical camera because the shot is above the YF-21. I had always assumed that the cameras and sensors were used to generate a virtual representation of the environment, not necessarily a direct video feed. The more camera and sensors you have to scan the environment the better. The sensors in the head could be more detailed/sensitive, and be used as the focal point/persepective for battroid.

That's what I thought too about multiple cameras and sensors. None of them are truly direct feeds but they all get fed into the onboard avionics which then amalgamate the images into the cockpit view to give you a full 360 degree look based on the pilots position. I think that was what was available in the VF-27 Lucifer.

According to one of the interviews Kawamori gave, he said the SV-262 Drakken III had a truly unique transformation scheme not previously seen on any macross valkyrie yet. I find that somewhat hard to believe given certain design and technical requirements on a plane and then in a robot (i.e. you need two legs). However the most I've been able to figure based on the plane mode and what we have seen so far is that in plane mode there is a single engine exhaust however the splits into two exhausts when you get into battroid mode and gerwalk modes. That perhaps is the "new truly unique" part that Kawamori is talking about? I do recall that there was some fan art once that hypothesised what a Boeing JSF-32 or F-35 would look like if it was a valkyrie and that too used the same 1 engine exhaust to 2 exhaust for legs concept.

Edited by biggooftoybox

I'm not a fan of the Saab Draken, but I'm more than willing to set aside my bias for the Sv-262, which looks mighty sweet with those packs.

How long have we known about this thing, and they still haven't shown the B or G modes. Even some lineart would be nice at this point.

The sad thing about all this waiting is that most of us have had time to come up with at least two or three general transformation schemes for this bad boy, and I have a sneaking suspicion that as a result when the fighter lines erupt into a killer robot we'll just say: "meh, so that's what he did". Too much buildup is not always a good idea - I still want to see it, but I'm becoming less excited than exasperated - it's not like it's likely to be a plot point (unless they turn into giant Vajra or actual dragons instead of Battroids, or have Gerwalk modes that look like Gluags or other Zentraedi mecha- all possible I suppose but unlikely).

Don't get me wrong, the deviation in fighter type and transformation scheme alone tells me that this is likely to be one of my favorite Valks in a while, but I get the feeling I'll be more satisfied than enthusiastic when it happens. Kind of like when you finally watch a movie that everyone keeps telling you is so awesome but you just don't get the chance to see until much later - it almost always seems really unimpressive at first viewing, but you later realize that the movie was actually perfectly good, but nothing could live up to what got built up in your head.

I'm not a fan of the Saab Draken, but I'm more than willing to set aside my bias for the Sv-262, which looks mighty sweet with those packs.

How long have we known about this thing, and they still haven't shown the B or G modes. Even some lineart would be nice at this point.

spoiler: the 262 doesn't have a battroid mode, it has a limb mode, and all 5 drakens combine to form a single robot.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Draken III with FAST packs and Ghost boosters. From the Master File pamphlet available at Wonderfest.

BuAEpRQ.jpg

why we get picture of fast pack already and no no no robot?

Guest davidwhangchoi

May be it has something to do with the show not being aired yet?. We haven't seen this one transform.

that doesn't answer why do we get fast packs first?

Ditto. Love how the wingtips fold up too. The ghosts as boosters is a great idea. But come to think of it, that's what we got in Zero as well. Nice followup, Kawamori-san!

I believe it was more a drone than an autonomous AI (though it did have that capability) since AI tech really didn't seem to take off (it appears) unitl the 2040's with the X-9 Ghost.

Edited by Zinjo

It's like the drug dealer giving you the starter samples to then get you hooked later on. They're probably showing it with the Fast packs since that's how it was shown in the preview episode. And so that peeps that watched the episode won't be saying "why doesn't the toy look like what I saw in the show?".

Guest davidwhangchoi

Well when SDFM first aired no one knew the VF-1 transformed until the first episode, so it is likely for the same reason. Keep the audience hooked until then.

i doubt the show producers are doing it thinking: "no one knows if it's going transform...." i think we're way past that surprise.

the vf-1 didn't have fast packs till mid way through the series. and if we're going to follow that logic, the vf-31 already revealed it's battroid mode prior to the series.

again, that doesn't answer the question, why did they reveal the fast packs before battroid.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Yeah, I'm thinking Kawamori is true to his word, and this thing is going to be unique. Whether that translates to good unique or bad remains to be seen. I just figure it's going to be different than what he's done before, and they're doing their best to hype it.

I hope it's cool.

The Sv-262 Super Combiner Robot would probably cause a few aneurysms around here. :lol:

At the first presentation of the Macross Frontier mecha last year they had a sign in front of the SV-262 with the transformation triangle on it (the one on the back of the packaging for the Renewal Valkyries). Fighter-Mode showed the one we know and Battroid- and Gerwalk-Mode had a big question mark a question mark in the shape of a VF-1 (!!!) on it so I think it is fairly certain that the SV-262 will have all the standard Valkyrie features.

Edited by Scyla

At the first presentation of the Macross Frontier mecha last year they had a sign in front of the SV-262 with the transformation triangle on it (the one on the back of the packaging for the Renewal Valkyries). Fighter-Mode showed the one we know and Battroid- and Gerwalk-Mode had a big question mark on it so I think it is fairly certain that the SV-262 will have all the standard Valkyrie features.

1a6f4f21.jpg

Draken III with FAST packs and Ghost boosters. From the Master File pamphlet available at Wonderfest.

thanks for the sweet pic!

Does this mean there are going to be more Master File Books?

you know it!

spoiler: the 262 doesn't have a battroid mode, it has a limb mode, and all 5 drakens combine to form a single robot.

hahaha! i wouldn't hate that actually...

why we get picture of fast pack already and no no no robot?

all these appetizers... where's the beef!?!

what if there is no battroid mode for SV-262.

just fighter & gerwalk.

inconceivable! XD

At the first presentation of the Macross Frontier mecha last year they had a sign in front of the SV-262 with the transformation triangle on it (the one on the back of the packaging for the Renewal Valkyries). Fighter-Mode showed the one we know and Battroid- and Gerwalk-Mode had a big question mark on it so I think it is fairly certain that the SV-262 will have all the standard Valkyrie features.

i'm taking this as confirmation that it will have a b mode (thanks to charger69 for the pic!)

oh yea totally forgot about the pic. hopefully there will be one, as the silhoutte IIRC was that of a VF-1

I'd love it if somebody could translate that Master Files pamplet in full. I bet there is all sorts of great information on there.

I'm not worried about not seeing the SV-262's B and G modes yet. Kawamori and co obviously want to keep it as a big reveal on purpose.

Graham