12 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

If I could recast or print in clear plastic, I would have made numerous copies of the 31s canopies and also a reshape of the YF-25 Prophecy

Wouldn't it have been (slightly) cheaper to just mold the canopy in clear orange/yellow/whatever than to mold a clear canopy then paint over it in some ungodly gold glitter paint? Would've have looked better too. Re: all the canopies Bandai made before the VF-31.

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Wouldn't it have been (slightly) cheaper to just mold the canopy in clear orange/yellow/whatever than to mold a clear canopy then paint over it in some ungodly gold glitter paint? Would've have looked better too. Re: all the canopies Bandai made before the VF-31.

Not necessarily.  I get the feeling that the DXs aren't molded with the same technology as the Bandai models, where you get multiple colors on single sprues, and there's really nothing else to mold in those colors.  It's likely a lot cheaper to make one mold for all the clear parts, and just mold the entire thing in plain clear plastic, rather than mix up multiple batches of transparent plastic.

I didn't really realize this for a very long time, but Yamato did this all along as well.  Very few (if any) clear parts were molded in tinted plastic.  They were just molded in clear, and then painted the proper color.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Decided that just a simple wash and maintaining an otherwise shiny new look best suits Delta squadron, given their air show colors. Also, it's a lot less work. :rolleyes:

31A will probably be a different story...

59cbb14113a24_VF-31Jpanels01.jpg.131fb80de9bd5a6c580e16155b1c9013.jpg

So, you used a simple panel-linning, but did you used a top coat to "seal" it after?

Looks great BTW

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Not necessarily.  I get the feeling that the DXs aren't molded with the same technology as the Bandai models, where you get multiple colors on single sprues, and there's really nothing else to mold in those colors.  It's likely a lot cheaper to make one mold for all the clear parts, and just mold the entire thing in plain clear plastic, rather than mix up multiple batches of transparent plastic.

I didn't really realize this for a very long time, but Yamato did this all along as well.  Very few (if any) clear parts were molded in tinted plastic.  They were just molded in clear, and then painted the proper color.

Well, I'd hope they would have at least maintained the same production quality as the Frontier toys and molded the canopies in color, seeing as how the VF-31 costs substantially more.

Or, you know, just used a clear orange paint instead of the glittery stripper paint. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Saburo said:

Looks awesome @Lolicon! I should learn to do that.

Thanks Saburo! It's super easy and anyone can learn to do it in like 5 minutes. :)

1 hour ago, mog_kupo said:

So, you used a simple panel-linning, but did you used a top coat to "seal" it after?

Looks great BTW

Thanks! Actually, I haven't bothered to seal the 31. The panel lines are deep enough to where your fingers can't actually rub it off, at least not with my normal gentle handling. Guys with sweaty palms might have more issues. ;) I may seal it off later on though. B))

Right now I'd like to go ahead and do the same for Mirage and Messer.

Yeah that metallic paint is not looking good in any lighting conditions. You hardly can tell who is piloting, if you don't "ride the wind"...

I would love to repaint mine but I would prefer to test on a spare canopy than on the original. 

Also your panel lining is looking super, I should makeup mine too, but curious about the treatment you would do to the 262 

Edited by Xigfrid

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Well, I'd hope they would have at least maintained the same production quality as the Frontier toys and molded the canopies in color, seeing as how the VF-31 costs substantially more.

I'm not sure the 25s used color-molded canopies either, but I'd need someone else to confirm that.  I thought I remembered someone stripping one because the tinting was overdone, but it was a long time ago, and I might be confusing it with people trying to get a proper tint on the 1/72 kits.

Excitement!

IMG_6916.thumb.jpg.21a7578936cf3b3bdf93441b18a5f0e9.jpg

Excitement builds

IMG_6917.thumb.jpg.08e89485f9f55aacd4a0e2de021524e3.jpg

Oh Hello

IMG_6918.thumb.jpg.39895ddc3cc05c6e719786d1dffe785b.jpg

Feels so good!! IMG_6919.thumb.jpg.55090b22fd26ba5792ecaff1251bb7c0.jpg

Is there anything like that first time feeling with a new Valk? It's been too long!

I'm spent now, so transformation will have to wait! First impressions are unwaveringly positive though!

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm not sure the 25s used color-molded canopies either, but I'd need someone else to confirm that.  I thought I remembered someone stripping one because the tinting was overdone, but it was a long time ago, and I might be confusing it with people trying to get a proper tint on the 1/72 kits.

Some of them are molded it color. I know the 25G is because mine was badly scuffed and I was able to use polishing compound to smooth it out completely so it's nice and clear again. All the 25s appear to be molded in color.

On 9/26/2017 at 10:03 AM, WaferMouse said:

@no3Ljm I know it's a few pages back but thanks for posting the pics of the 31C in black SPs. That's actually exactly the look I was hoping for, looking forward to HLJ delivering my SPs now :)

You're welcome sir! Can't wait to try the real deal on it coming October. ^_^ 

16 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Decided that just a simple wash and maintaining an otherwise shiny new look best suits Delta squadron, given their air show colors. Also, it's a lot less work. :rolleyes:

31A will probably be a different story...

59cbb14113a24_VF-31Jpanels01.jpg.131fb80de9bd5a6c580e16155b1c9013.jpg

So clean and crisp. :wub:  Flory's? 

4 hours ago, IXTL said:

I can't wait for this one. ^_^

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

You never ordered from Nippon-Yasan before?

Oddly no I have not. I'm going to have to wait a month before I can order mine, because I had some bills to clear up, and the VA won't give me back the money they owe me. 

16 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Try changing your browser?

Tried with Chrome and with Internet explorer. No Dice, same error message.

*Edit* Contacted Customer support, and ended up submitting a ticket to resolve the issue. 

Edited by Valkyrie Driver
update

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

Was the release date for Messers VF-31 Super Perts always in Oktober? I had an end of September daze in my mind.

Just got an email today from p-bandai that the super parts are releasing on 10/17... I have to wait until the 25th because I have it bundled with the Figuarts Mk V :mellow:

39 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

No. Usual trend is that it get sold out and rarely get come back in stock. and if it comes back in stock, it usually get sold fast or with a healthy mark up

Yeah the 31C is turning out to be quite the shelf warmer. I bought a couple extra and it looks like I’ll have to bury them in the sand for a thousand years befor they are worth the trouble to sell lol 

Maybe even Bandai DX toys have reached a high enough price point where a lot of people can't afford or are unwilling to get the entire squadron, so they just settled for getting the hero, such as he is. These are substantially more expensive than the Frontier toys, after all.

Or maybe Delta was really just so awful that there are far fewer people interested in toys from such a terrible show. :D

Exchange when I delivered my friend's 31C.

Friend: Are you looking forward to the Delta movie?

Me: No. Delta was pretty awful.

Friend: Even worse than Macross II?

Me: At least Macross II had the virtue of being short.