On 15/09/2017 at 0:07 PM, no3Ljm said:

So I tried putting my Messer's Super Parts on Mirage and see how it feels. Can't say it looks good though. It's the same 'meh' feeling when I tried it on my Hayate's 31J. What do you guys think? :rolleyes:

IORIMiS.jpg

IpoUnMo.jpg

npyA27u.jpg

Yeah. I think Messer's Super Parts will not work this time on Mirage's colors. Not as same as Messer's colors on Hayate's blue. So I decided to stick with Mirage colors instead. ^_^

JxUvEs2.jpg

EPOxwZR.jpg

21q7ABP.jpg

Maybe you can try chucks colors for contrast? 

My 31F took a mean fall off a 5 foot tall cabinet onto hard floors. A few pieces popped off and torso unpegged but nothing broke. Just popped the center head antenna and one of the heel pieces back on, tabbed the chest back in place and all good. Very smart design by Bandai to prevent breakage. My 1/48 VF-1 was not as lucky. The non-removeable head laser broke off less than 24 hours after getting and opening it. Both Valks impressed me with their overall durability to take that kind of fall without more damage.

5 hours ago, Slave IV said:

My 31F took a mean fall off a 5 foot tall cabinet onto hard floors. A few pieces popped off and torso unpegged but nothing broke. Just popped the center head antenna and one of the heel pieces back on, tabbed the chest back in place and all good. Very smart design by Bandai to prevent breakage. My 1/48 VF-1 was not as lucky. The non-removeable head laser broke off less than 24 hours after getting and opening it. Both Valks impressed me with their overall durability to take that kind of fall without more damage.

Ouch, glad it wasn't too bad man.  

Opened up my package today.

I really like the colours and appearance of this figure in all modes.

My only issue is that I can't seem to securely lock the torso together. The bottom tabs are up but when I push the top half down onto it, it's like only one side is able to tab in while the other doesn't. This makes trying the pose the figure difficult as whenever I try to move the arms the whole top half comes undone.

The back tabs remains locked though.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I've watched the ScorchedEarthToys transformation video, and I can't rememebr having this issue with my VF-31J.

17 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Seems decently common on this release---I just tried alternating between the two hinges (each end of the bar) and eventually got it loose, though some paint chipped off the bar.  (Not really visible in any mode).  

Thanks, my first VF-31. Forced the metal joints to move a few times then trimmed the scraped paint. These metal double hinges should be cast in final color because paint too thick. Impossible for paint to remain intact in these metal to metal joints. This may be my first VF-31, but not Bandai's

43 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

Opened up my package today.

I really like the colours and appearance of this figure in all modes.

My only issue is that I can't seem to securely lock the torso together. The bottom tabs are up but when I push the top half down onto it, it's like only one side is able to tab in while the other doesn't. This makes trying the pose the figure difficult as whenever I try to move the arms the whole top half comes undone.

The back tabs remains locked though.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I've watched the ScorchedEarthToys transformation video, and I can't rememebr having this issue with my VF-31J.

Which location is not locking because there are several locking points? From bottom there are 2 gray tabs that pinch behind 2 red metal bars. The top part with the head clips beneath into back of the canopy. There is also a gray U shaped piece that is bent under the head

55 minutes ago, packrat said:

Which location is not locking because there are several locking points? From bottom there are 2 gray tabs that pinch behind 2 red metal bars. The top part with the head clips beneath into back of the canopy. There is also a gray U shaped piece that is bent under the head

The gray tabs that pinch behind the metal bars.

It seems to come undone very easily

EDIT: I've notice that the front part of the chest (small flap), doesn't seem to close flush with the rest of the chest. Perhaps I didn't transform the neck area properly. But I've pushed the tab in that area as far as I can.

aT40Niz.jpg?1

EDIT: Just realised I had the hinge in the neck area the wrong way. Had it forward instead of back. All good now And looks much better.

MIdmiGx.jpg?1

Edited by Heatwave

10 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Sorry to hear that, glad there was no major damage.

5 hours ago, sumyumgoy said:

Ouch, glad it wasn't too bad man.  

38 minutes ago, Saburo said:

Sorry to hear that, glad there was no major damage.

Thanks! It goes to show the companies have made improvements to prevent breakage and that these things have been made well for years to begin with!

Fortunately the head laser on the VF-1A is pretty simple to make a replacement for, at least compared with all the other variants.  Depending on where it broke, you might even be able to just drill it out, and pin the parts together to repair it.

Just picked up Mirage from the post office, loving the look of it overall, and definitely my favorite head design on the 31.

One thing I did notice about the magenta color.. for once, it's kind of a good thing that so much of it is painted.  It might be my lighting, but the cast plastic in the shoulders looks much darker than the paint.  The painted surfaces are all a good match.

Something else I realized while messing with it though, related to the fuselage gap behind the canopy.  I noticed that if I unpeg the folding plate under the cockpit, that gap mostly goes away.  I think pressing that plate into the underside all the way is actually pulling the nose downward, and widening that gap.  I don't know if it bothers me enough to experiment, but I might try trimming down the rearward edges of the tabs on that underside plate, and see if that relieves the force pulling the nose down.

Edited by Chronocidal

9 hours ago, Heatwave said:

EDIT: I've notice that the front part of the chest (small flap), doesn't seem to close flush with the rest of the chest. Perhaps I didn't transform the neck area properly. But I've pushed the tab in that area as far as I can.

EDIT: Just realised I had the hinge in the neck area the wrong way. Had it forward instead of back. All good now And looks much better.

During my first transformation this was the part I struggled the most with.  I couldn't tell what the heck the instructions were trying to illustrate and it isn't a step which my knowledge of the VF-25's transformation translated well to.  I probably spent 15 to 30 minutes just fiddling around with that panel the head is on.

8 hours ago, GabrielV said:

During my first transformation this was the part I struggled the most with.  I couldn't tell what the heck the instructions were trying to illustrate and it isn't a step which my knowledge of the VF-25's transformation translated well to.  I probably spent 15 to 30 minutes just fiddling around with that panel the head is on.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to have issues with this area. It was seriously driving me nuts.

Regarding the colour though, I feel like the the maroon paint and the purple on the translucent gems below the head should have been swapped.

This official artwork seems to use this colour scheme as well.

ouTT11Q.png?1

Edit: That's the 1/72 kit, not the DX.  Had me going for a moment there, though. ^_^

It's a fair point though, I don't care enough about the series to really feel one way or another about the wrong color, or other nonsense.  It's disappointing, sure, but it's the level of dedication I've come to expect. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

You can tell because the 1/72 is actually purple....

Anyways---was rewatching a few scenes of Delta, and I think the only person we actually see in Mirage's back seat ;) is Freyja, in her "standard singing dress".   Along with me not having a Ranka for my VF-25F, it means I basically have no appropriate figures for the back seats of any of my valks. 

Is there anything on Shapeways, figures-wise?   They're so tiny that the roughness of 3D printing won't matter much when painted, and VF-31 canopies are almost opaque anyways.   (I'm still figuring out what to do about Mirage's canopy--it almost seems like it's molded in tinted plastic but then the "sparkle" is sprayed on or something) 

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Pixie Squadron and Mirage's aunt already beat her to that title. :p

Who's the aunt? Mylene? And wasn't Pixie Squadron a bunch of Zentraedi women?

8 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

You can tell because the 1/72 is actually purple....

Anyways---was rewatching a few scenes of Delta, and I think the only person we actually see in Mirage's back seat ;) is Freyja, in her "standard singing dress".   Along with me not having a Ranka for my VF-25F, it means I basically have no appropriate figures for the back seats of any of my valks. 

Is there anything on Shapeways, figures-wise?   They're so tiny that the roughness of 3D printing won't matter much when painted, and VF-31 canopies are almost opaque anyways.   (I'm still figuring out what to do about Mirage's canopy--it almost seems like it's molded in tinted plastic but then the "sparkle" is sprayed on or something) 

The canopy is clear and can be stripped and repainted, but it's a lot of work, made more difficult because there's really no way to remove the front windscreen.

I would have preferred if they had made the Walkure pilot figures all amputees and given more room for the actual pilot, so it doesn't look like they have their chests rammed up against the front console.

Given the pilot's position on the toy and where Keith shoots it, the shot should have taken Messer's head off, instead of through the heart. :p