So, I'm looking at the 31F and 31J I have sitting out right now, and I'm actually curious if the sagging wing is the correct one.  I actually can't get any of my wings to raise as high as the further-up one, and I've got no obvious gaps or seams in the hinge.

I wonder if there are just inconsistencies in the hinges that are making these all different?

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

I would check my F but it's in Battroid mode on the stand and I'm to lazy to transform it back to fighter right now...:p

You don't need to transform it to Fighter mode just to check the wing. Wing is just folded in the back. ;) 

38 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So, I'm looking at the 31F and 31J I have sitting out right now, and I'm actually curious if the sagging wing is the correct one.  I actually can't get any of my wings to raise as high as the further-up one, and I've got no obvious gaps or seams in the hinge.

I wonder if there are just inconsistencies in the hinges that are making these all different?

I think the VF-31's wing is not straight by design. The half of the wing is kind of pointing downward like the YF-21. But don't quote me on that. I have to check the Master File book first.

I haven't noticed any asymmetry in my 31F's wings, but I just went to Battroid today for the first time (I wanted to display it in each mode for a while, heh), so I just saw it in Gerwalk with the wings out, they seemed matched.

On the note of whether it is correct straight or not, I am not sure how much is correct off hand but I can confirm the wings are clearly supposed to have a slight anhedral structure (that is, a downward inclination). This is common on fighter aircraft as anhedral wings make the craft less stable but way more manuverable. Mirage points out in the show that this fact is purposefully exploited, and we know the VF's computer system works to keep the plane stable in flight where a pilot can have trouble with it manually (this, despite simpler computers, is also done in today's fighter aircraft).

Operation lesson aside though, my point is this lends credence to the idea the 'bent' wing is more correct than a fully straight one. Your problem may be the straight one is bending up too far.

EDIT: I just remembered, while my 31F looks good, I actually have this kind of issue with my YF-30. One of the tips rests bent slightly downward compared to the other. It is only noticeable when looking directly from the front though. Unlike the 31, I am not sure if the 30 is supposed to have anhedral tilt or not.

Edited by Master Dex

I believe the YF-30 is supposed to be entirely level-winged.  But yeah, the wings clearly fit in place on both the models and DX with the wings drooped some amount, but I'm mostly curious what the proper angle is supposed to be.  The lower angle from the earlier pictures actually looks more "correct" to me, but that might just be a personal preference.

There's definitely some extra sprue junk on one wing hinge, when compared to the other.  At least on my 31J I have.  Given the rest of you guys have shaved all that stuff off and it's made no difference, I'd have to assume the ends of the wing parts don't actually sit right up against each other.  If that's the case, the cutout in the main part of the wing is likely to be more to blame for the asymmetrical droop.

I believe the OP means his wings aren't perfectly symmetrical on both sides, not that they angle downwards. Of my four 31Js, two of them are like that. The difference is tiny and only noticeable if you're looking at it head on and obsessive like me. 

Chalk it up to small differences in the manufacturing process. It's much too small a thing to bother risking breaking open the wings to fix. 

Sorry, I should have been more clear as well - I'm specifically talking about uneven droop not that there is droop.  Anhedral is definitely supposed to be there.

What I should have said is that there's only extra sprue marks on one side and it looks like more than enough to affect how that wing closes up against the hinge.  But based on what others are saying, even when that's perfectly flush, it still seems the wing won't sit the same as the other side.

Anyone tried to trim the two pegs that fit into the slots?  Maybe they're just a touch too long on the wing with more droop.

3 hours ago, mickyg said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear as well - I'm specifically talking about uneven droop not that there is droop.  Anhedral is definitely supposed to be there.

What I should have said is that there's only extra sprue marks on one side and it looks like more than enough to affect how that wing closes up against the hinge.  But based on what others are saying, even when that's perfectly flush, it still seems the wing won't sit the same as the other side.

Anyone tried to trim the two pegs that fit into the slots?  Maybe they're just a touch too long on the wing with more droop.

I've shaved the pegs a little and no difference. I'm hesitant to shave them too much as they might serve a purpose that is not obvious to me.

The good wing clicks in right and tight. The left bounces back from the flush position. So there is something. It must be the hinge. An obstruction wouldn't allow it to go flush then then bounce back.

Since many have this issue too I'm not fussed. I won't notice once it has as super packs and banking left or right. :p 

Both my opened 31F and J each have one wing that appears to be ever-so-slightly off from the other. To ease my OCD I just tell myself it's an optical illusion based on the angle I'm looking at it.

No shaving, no modifications, no nadda for me. Mildly annoying but not a deal breaker.

-b.

Just got Messer and Keith yesterday, didn't realize how skinny they where until seeing it myself in person. The DX VF-31 Valk feels really solid in fighter mode, on the other hand, DX SV-262 feels hollow compare to the VF-31. Although, I like the nose gear on the SV-262 more than the one on VF-31.

VF-31&SV-262a.JPG

VF-31&SV-262b.JPG

VF-31&SV-262c.JPG

has anyone done a video of putting this thing back to fighter mode from battroid because I swear to God I'm about to throw it against the wall extremely hard.I thought this was supposed to be an easy Valk,  hell I don't have this much trouble with the damn Drakken

Edit...my problem is getting the head neck parts to lay flat....

Edited by derex3592

15 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

has anyone done a video of putting this thing back to fighter mode from battroid because I swear to God I'm about to throw it against the wall extremely hard.I thought this was supposed to be an easy Valk,  hell I don't have this much trouble with the damn Drakken

I havent got a 31 yet (still waiting for my Messer) but I got the exact same feeling for 262 when I want it back to fighter mode.

ok... finally.. jeebus.... that was a little rough first time back, anyways, page 15 of the manual, top right hand diagram that shows the neck and head collapsed.. HIGHLY recommend you study that picture, it helps. Props to Bandai for a decent color instruction manual. And a couple of shots of fighter mode, with panel lines done.. goodnight all! 

14949030422601659887376.jpg

20170515_214749.jpg

20170515_214734.jpg

yes, Florys Dark Dirt. Just traced the lines with a small paint brush and let dry for a few minutes, then lightly wipe away excess with a mildly moist finger or a make up wedge works great as well. Just one lick, and you're good...LOL

32 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'll be doing videos of both the 31 and 262 transformations back soon... ish.

i eagerly await both of these good sir! So a year from now, when i do it again, i'll have a video to watch! :D

Edit... and also so my new wife will not look at me very strangely when I'm screaming at a piece of plastic on the kitchen table a year or so from now ....:lol:

Edited by derex3592

Got my 31F and have been enjoying it.  Feels much more substantial than the 262.  And WAY less gappie.  This is my first and will be my last 31 (minus a crazy sell on a shelf warmer, fat chance). Kind of feels a bit like the VF-0D, in that handling it I always feel like I'm moving a fin or some other piece that doesn't lock into place.   Happy to be done with Bandai pre-order craziness for a while and Delta in general.

Question:  I have one of the cuffs around the ankles standing up, any idea how to get it to lay flat in fighter mode?

20170516_070924.jpg

I may have said this before, but I really wish that we could get a re-engineered YF-30 which uses the same transformation mechanics as the YF-31. I doubt that'll ever happen. I just don't like the look of the Kairos as much as I like the look of the Chronos.

Say, how perpendicular to the ground is the wing/backpack supposed to be when in fighter mode? I see varying degrees of this in different photos. Some of them look like an almost perfect 90 degrees, but mine won't go down quite that far. I've transformed my VF-31F several times and feel fairly confident that I'm not leaving anything in the neck or chest in the wrong place. And is the back supposed to attach to the torso in a locking manner? I know that there are tabs which connect the lower folding wing to the upper non-folding wing, but that's all of which I am aware.

1 hour ago, funkymonkeyjavajunky said:

Anyone else get melted packaging? The stand that came with my Messer has a melted insert.

IMG_20170516_212949.jpg

Got hit by Keith's laser?

1 hour ago, funkymonkeyjavajunky said:

Anyone else get melted packaging? The stand that came with my Messer has a melted insert.

IMG_20170516_212949.jpg

I've seen pics of something similar to someone's Transformer figure before. The package was probably kept somewhere really hot in transit which caused the thin clamshell plastic to warp but left the outer cardboard box undamaged.

55 minutes ago, funkymonkeyjavajunky said:

Beats me. Everything else is fine (including the stand), but the insert is very melted. Like someone held the insert up to  hot air blower.

So, what is Nippon Yassan's track record for resolving damaged products?

It wouldn't hurt to email NY with photos of the package. Their chat service is online too. See what they can do to help.

I'm sure NY will ask if the box item is sealed or tampered (the 3 big tapes on the flap).

In my opinion, this is the part where the 'blind item' or the 'box of chocolates you never know what you get' scenario. No stores will open each boxes just to see if the items is complete or not. Broken or not. I've bought a printer before and the store told me instead of returning it to their store for any problem or defect, it's best to contact the manufacturer instead. Which I did eventually, and it's great that my defective printer got replaced with brand new one again, free shipping and free returns on the defect one to their warehouse. It would be nice if the Japan Online stores are like this to their customers abroad. But as many members posted here before we, the customers abroad, are already screwed the moment we receive broken item, damage boxes, and broken parts and missing pieces. But for sure it's not the same over there. For sure they have great customer service too. Only if you live in Japan. And sadly, there's a lot of factors why they can't accommodate that to us. Sad but true. :(