I thought I would only get Arad for the 31s. (Keiths Draken is a no brainer.)

Now I have Hayate AND Messer. 

I didn't bond with any of the valks really, not even Arad since he and Mirage kind of faded out of the story.

Probably will end up with Arad and Mirage too, in hopes that a rematch or movie announcent will help me decide which I will keep.

The lackluster series actually resulted in me getting MORE valks, not less.

Hehe, and here I was thinking that I'm the only 40 and above here. I guess there's something about our generation that wants to collect all those cool robots from our childhood. I'm glad that I'm blessed with a relatively good income enough to support collecting these valks, albeit I'm limited to single copies only. 

I'm definitely in for Arad's 31s. If my pre-order of Messer pushes through with HLJ, then I might go for the complete Delta squadron. Though I really wish they varied more from each other besides color scheme and head design. They could have at least put in more multiple roles for the pilots/valks on top of Chuck's surveillance/AWACS unit. Though I understand that they're supposed to be an aerial acrobatic support group for Walkure more than an actual combat group.

33 minutes ago, arbit said:

I thought I would only get Arad for the 31s. (Keiths Draken is a no brainer.)

Now I have Hayate AND Messer. 

I didn't bond with any of the valks really, not even Arad since he and Mirage kind of faded out of the story.

Probably will end up with Arad and Mirage too, in hopes that a rematch or movie announcent will help me decide which I will keep.

The lackluster series actually resulted in me getting MORE valks, not less.

You know, weirdly enough I think this is how it is for me in general for Macross. Macross 7 is probably my least favorite (pre Delta) and I have...3 or 4 Valks from it. I basically have 1 from the original show, my old 1/48 Roy and the newer 1/60 Roy and that's it. Zero, which is my favorite I have 2 now just Roy (again) and Nora.

I'm two episodes away from finishing Delta, I'm not a huge fan honestly and I have 2 Valks already on order. I ordered Keith's before I had seen a single episode because it was so different looking. Getting Messer's for the rival aspect and I'm toying with Mirage, Arad (if that's not-Roy..I'm bad with the names in this one) and a couple more Drakens. I don't know if any of the other Drakens sport unique paint but I'd like one for Cassim (? apple orchard guy) and maybe pink hair dude.

So if I went my most crazy, I'd wind up with 3 Drakens and 3 31s and it's debatable if I even like half the characters that fly them.

5 minutes ago, brouken said:

Hehe, and here I was thinking that I'm the only 40 and above here. I guess there's something about our generation that wants to collect all those cool robots from our childhood. I'm glad that I'm blessed with a relatively good income enough to support collecting these valks, albeit I'm limited to single copies only. 

That something is -- I was deprived. Hahaha! :lol:

Kidding aside, life back then is really different. And my parents can't just buy toys all the time. But I did however have a mix of model kits from Gundams, Macross, L-Gaims, Orguss, Mospeada, etc. And I always get a lot during my birthdays. So technically, we can't afford getting a Takatoku toys or any diecast ones. So they just let me buy model kits. And this mostly happened back when we live in Japan for two years. And once we return to the Philippines, we can't afford getting stuff like we used to in Japan. So basically even model kits we can't afford it.

But now like what you said, we were blessed on having good income just enough to support this hobby. ;)

26 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha! You've done and said it out loud Noel. :-D

As a kid, I was blessed enough to own a few Macross knock-offs and a huge poster of Minmay and Hikaru's Strike Valkyrie on top of my bed. Gundam was never shown in the Philippines back then, but I was really intrigued by their more 'realistic' mecha in an age where Voltes V, Daimos and the rest of the 'gaudy' super robots reigned supreme.

It's kinda funny now that it seems Macross Delta went for the gaudy with the brightly colored valks and idol singing group. Certainly not as gaudy as M7 but gaudy nonetheless. (Throws up the "W" sign). :-)

29 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Kidding aside, life back then is really different. And my parents can't just buy toys all the time. But I did however have a mix of model kits from Gundams, Macross, L-Gaims, Orguss, Mospeada, etc. And I always get a lot during my birthdays. So technically, we can't afford getting a Takatoku toys or any diecast ones. So they just let me buy model kits. And this mostly happened back when we live in Japan for two years. And once we return to the Philippines, we can't afford getting stuff like we used to in Japan. So basically even model kits we can't afford it.

But now like what you said, we were blessed on having good income just enough to support this hobby. ;)

Funny you should say "deprived" - my parents never gave me anything!  It was especially hard growing up as my best friend constantly got tonnes of "lucky red envelops" and just bought everything in sight, of course we always went collecting together and I had to really scrimp and save and really really decide on what I would buy from what little money I had saved up from my various jobs.  It always felt unfair even to this day where I'm always giving away "lucky red envelops" to all my parents friends/family and I'm always stuck with the big restaurant bills at the end of the night just because I made more money at my job than them.  I got the raw end of the stick always.

Unfortunately my best friend died in our mid 30's from lung cancer (never smoked a day in his life!) and gave all his stuff to me - really sad.  It had always been a bit of a bone of contention but I now I do have 2 Gold books.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties wm cheng. I can relate a bit with having friends who seemed more blessed to have rich and generous parents who got them the bigger and more expensive toys. Life seemed so unfair back then.

I guess the more appropriate term for what we're doing now is "overcompensating" for our childhood shortcomings.

46 minutes ago, brouken said:

Hahaha! You've done and said it out loud Noel. :-D

As a kid, I was blessed enough to own a few Macross knock-offs and a huge poster of Minmay and Hikaru's Strike Valkyrie on top of my bed. Gundam was never shown in the Philippines back then, but I was really intrigued by their more 'realistic' mecha in an age where Voltes V, Daimos and the rest of the 'gaudy' super robots reigned supreme.

It's kinda funny now that it seems Macross Delta went for the gaudy with the brightly colored valks and idol singing group. Certainly not as gaudy as M7 but gaudy nonetheless. (Throws up the "W" sign). :-)

Hahaha! Well, atleast now I know I'm not the only one here. ;) And same here too, I'm much more leaning towards 'real' mechas. But speaking of Voltes V and Daimos, I'm still contemplating whether if I should buy a Chogokin version of those since it's part of my childhood too. But the thing is, once I started getting those, then ofcourse in the back of my mind, I will tell myself, I like Mazinger Z too. I like Danguard Ace too. I like Grandizer too. Next thing we know, I'm spending too much now. Hahaha! :lol: 

44 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Funny you should say "deprived" - my parents never gave me anything!  It was especially hard growing up as my best friend constantly got tonnes of "lucky red envelops" and just bought everything in sight, of course we always went collecting together and I had to really scrimp and save and really really decide on what I would buy from what little money I had saved up from my various jobs.  It always felt unfair even to this day where I'm always giving away "lucky red envelops" to all my parents friends/family and I'm always stuck with the big restaurant bills at the end of the night just because I made more money at my job than them.  I got the raw end of the stick always.

Unfortunately my best friend died in our mid 30's from lung cancer (never smoked a day in his life!) and gave all his stuff to me - really sad.  It had always been a bit of a bone of contention but I now I do have 2 Gold books.

Sorry to hear that, Mr. Cheng. I also have friends and neighbors who have Takatokus and diecast robots back then. And they nice to let me borrow it overnight and make sure that I will return it the following day. Yup, back in the day was so hard. I always remember this one incident that I cried all day coz I wanted a Sword of Omens. You know, the one that lights up. But I didn't get it. And my parents always explain to us everyday that we can't just spend money to things that are not important. And she always say that money doesn't grow on trees. Always remember that you have to work hard to be able to get money. That's why the moment I finished school and got work, I started buying toys that I really really like. 

But I envy you somehow because you had a friend who entrusted you all his collections. It's sad but it's nice that he's nice to you. :) 

Somehow i feel that if NY customer service is closed now on a saturday, would they even update their inventory or maybe they didnt even manage to place a reservation with their suppliers

Edited by recon

If someone figures out how to take the fuselage for the 31 apart, please do tell me.

Just to see how it would look, I tried painting up the sensors with transparent smoke color so that the whole thing isn't just bright red like in the show.

It just doesn't have the sense of depth. Ideally, I'd strip the paint off completely and paint up the underside with red and smoke and then put chrome over the the red portion to make it more reflective while the top side would be clear and shiny. But I can't find a way to take it apart.... frustrating. A least I was able to fix the thigh paint rubbing off when using the GERWALK joints. Just had to shave off some plastic with an xacto knife to gain more clearance. I think I matched the blue pretty well if I do say so myself.

DSC_6879.jpg

DSC_6876.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

10 hours ago, wm cheng said:

I've got you all beat!  I'm 47!!!  and I really didn't know why I am still doing this too.  In fact when the Bandai pre-order madness started, I would stay up to 2-3am to do the pre-order, now I go to bed at 11pm and set an alarm to wake up - that's how geriatric I am now doing this for the last decade or so.  I always still have to get up 3-4hrs later to get to work - argh.

I'll be 48 this year and I'm still collecting these things, despite the occasional quizzical looks and dismissive, sometimes disdainful, reactions of others... I don't care.  I'll be damned if I can logically explain it, though, other that to say that I enjoy these thing immensely (the imagination that created them, the engineering that it takes to bring them to "life", the execution - manufacturing - that turns it all into the physical objects we get to handle and display), and I refuse to let my inner child die.^_^