Overall looks good and appears to be a well thought-out robust, construction, taking into account the many movable parts...

But the rear landing gear covers look like they'll scrape the ground during takeoff and landing!!

Well, I really can't say that it's a well thought-out Valk since the landing gear design for us looks like an after-thought. ^_^

The rear landing gear is what it is.

It's Kawamori's design choice. Bandai are just doing the best they can with the design they were given.

No, Bandai's doing a half-assed implementation of what they were given. Look at the actual show, and Takara's implementation. The same design can be done much better. Sure, it's never going to look great, but it can certainly be "decent". It's just much easier to do it how Bandai has done in both the kit and DX.

No, Bandai's doing a half-assed implementation of what they were given. Look at the actual show, and Takara's implementation. The same design can be done much better. Sure, it's never going to look great, but it can certainly be "decent". It's just much easier to do it how Bandai has done in both the kit and DX.

It's like bandai is just taking the easy way out. Actually I think it's possible for bandai to get the rear landing gear on the DX to look a bit more like the tomytec landing gear.

I dunno, looks pretty similar to me to what's on TV. What are you noticing?

I'm on vacation so I can't make screen caps.

But here's the Takara-Tomy -31A:

TOY-RBT-4072_05.jpg

The landing gear is not submerged/surrounded by the gear door. The DX and 1/72 is basically "door, with a wheel molded on it". The door and gear are basically one element. The 1/144 (and show) have them as very distinct, separate elements----like just about every fighter jet and valk ever.

Hold on, Takara is making Macross toys now too?

No, it's a non-transforming, pre-painted model kit.

The landing gear does not close. You chose to either build the kit gear down, or landing gear doors closed.

It's a lot easier to make the gear look good, when they didn't need to close, even at a smaller scale.

It's a lot easier to make the gear look good, when they didn't need to close, even at a smaller scale.

There's that, but also it's likely a more accurate representation of what the ACTUAL gear design is that Kawamori came up with. (As they appeared in episode 2 or 3 or whichever, with Mirage's 31C.) The DX and Bandai kit both have to compromise on the landing gear design in order to satisfy other requirements. I imagine the (eventual) Hasegawa kit will feature similar gear design to the Tomy Tec one.

There's that, but also it's likely a more accurate representation of what the ACTUAL gear design is that Kawamori came up with. (As they appeared in episode 2 or 3 or whichever, with Mirage's 31C.) The DX and Bandai kit both have to compromise on the landing gear design in order to satisfy other requirements. I imagine the (eventual) Hasegawa kit will feature similar gear design to the Tomy Tec one.

Do you perhaps have a screencap of the 31 with the rear landing gear down from the show? I don't even remember the rear landing gear in the anime looking particularly detailed or flattering.

Wait Never mind, I found one: Hmmm, Bandai could have put a bit more detail in there, but it doesn't look better or worse than their other recent attempts at landing gear.

post-5389-0-41716000-1472185797_thumb.png

Edited by SuperHobo

Do you perhaps have a screencap of the 31 with the rear landing gear down from the show? I don't even remember the rear landing gear in the anime looking particularly detailed or flattering.

Wait Never mind, I found one: Hmmm, Bandai could have put a bit more detail in there, but it doesn't look better or worse than their other recent attempts at landing gear.

Oh no, in anime it looks much better... See there's lots more clearance for the gear cover from the ground and the wheel is more than exposed.

Bandai can get pretty sloppy in the details, we've always known this. They took the easy/horrible looking road with their landing gears. Granted, Kawamori made their jobs hard with this design.

Comparing the screen shot to the Takara Tomi model, that's pretty accurate to how it's supposed to look.

Edited by Mommar

I'm on vacation so I can't make screen caps.

But here's the Takara-Tomy -31A:

TOY-RBT-4072_05.jpg

The landing gear is not submerged/surrounded by the gear door. The DX and 1/72 is basically "door, with a wheel molded on it". The door and gear are basically one element. The 1/144 (and show) have them as very distinct, separate elements----like just about every fighter jet and valk ever.

Nothing constructive to add to the discussion, but damn that looks nice

Bandai can get pretty sloppy in the details, we've always known this. They took the easy/horrible looking road with their landing gears. Granted, Kawamori made their jobs hard with this design.

Comparing the screen shot to the Takara Tomi model, that's pretty accurate to how it's supposed to look.

The point is, they've got the CAD done up for the VF-31. Bandai could have followed the details right down to the landing gear. Plus they have the experience to do so.

To their credit, they've already taken pains to make the rest of the vf-31 DX look fabulous. It's just the landing gear. A little more effort and they could have perfected it.

Sorry, I'm just whining aloud...

The point is, they've got the CAD done up for the VF-31. Bandai could have followed the details right down to the landing gear. Plus they have the experience to do so.

To their credit, they've already taken pains to make the rest of the vf-31 DX look fabulous. It's just the landing gear. A little more effort and they could have perfected it.

Sorry, I'm just whining aloud...

I know, Bandai are good at falling short in the details. It is too bad.

Thar accurate landing gear/kneecap certainly looks good in fighter mode. But it will look bad in battroid mode if not done correctly.

I think Bandai took middle path between the 2 mode.

Going by the artwork, an accurate rear landing gear will require at least two bending joints. Not impossible to make at this scale, but troublesome to make.

So the next question would be is, would you guys rather want an anime accurate landing gear though it's going to be parts-swapping? Or a generic Bandai-steel-colored landing gear that could fold properly somehow in a DX manner? :rolleyes: