......Ok, just being honest here, those are ducking fugly as hell. I thought they would have learned something from the first VF-25 DX disaster.

Though, I don't know whether to blame Bandai for the nonsense design, or AmiAmi for posting concept renders.

Either way, not looking like I'll ever want to display one of these on the gear. Like... seriously, wtf are they smoking??

I'm with you there! Looks like Bandai is up their old shanagans again, they can't design a landing gear to save their lives! Bandai has had a consistent history of screwing up any semblance of a realistic looking gear and going ultra beefy - just remember their Yukikaze models - argh! I've never had any of the newer generation Valkyries ever displayed with their landing gears down - they are an after-thought, either they are too far forward for the nose gear or too far backwards for the main gears or just they look like beefy silvery sticks with wheels stuck on the end of them. :rolleyes:

Interesting on the landing gear. I already thinking on the for the main landing "Hmmm.. I will need to tape the knee pads so the paint doesn't rub off/scratch".

I am pretty sure with the DX the landing gear will be a bit more detailed and the front will be functional than a plug in piece.

Wow the Hayate figure has 80's anime hair going on. :lol:

I would consider myself a "gear guy" too and the CAD renders aren't putting me off.

Obviously there is a real possibility that the DX toy will follow suit and that doesn't bother me either.

The trailing link design is somewhat reminiscent of the F-18, so there's some precedent.

I like that it potentially brings the rear units closer to the front of the Valk. As WM Cheng mentioned, Valk landing gear is often too far back.

The only potential issue with this is centre of gravity as if it's too far forward, it might want to sit on its ass.

Another observation is that if the DX toy follows suit, in certain dynamic batroid poses, the wheels could be exposed - which I'm not keen on.

yea they really arent.... you know..... however in the movie they look awesome... one of my favorites really....

but as a model kit......

i really want to pic up one or two of those kits and fix them... but also know that i dont have the time to do that :unsure:

but i like all macross none the less, no need to be offended.... ;)

No worries, sir! ;)

LANDING GEAR CONFIRMED! and you wouldnt have guessed where the wing gears are deployed from.. ^_^:DB))

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/review?scode=TOY-RBT-4059&page=

And other stuff too... :p

The knee landing gear looks interesting. But I'm not a big fan of it though. :lol: On the other hand, nobody mentioned about the gunpod design. For me... hmmm... it doesn't look like a Gunpod to me. :huh::D

Having worked on aircraft landing gear, I have to concur with the "tacked-on, toyish" sentiment. I would've preferred they extend from the exterior shins. I hope the DX handles it differently, but I doubt it. The only positive is that it places the gear closer to CG like most real aircraft, and unlike the majority of valks. But yeah, that design looks like what I'd expect on a TF, not a valk. <_< And yeah, that design doesn't bode well for any paint apps in that area, nor for the kneecap/gear door and upper shin where they'll meet and the plastic will rub over time. From various perspectives, not a good design.

As for the gunpod/backpack weapon array- I like it. I like the uniqueness of it, and its method of storage. It offers a more practical method, as well as allowing for hands free operation of the gun, which could potentially allow the pilot to focus on tasks requiring the valk's hands while the valk itself can control the weapons for defense. It makes sense esp for B and G modes.

Still not digging those too-skinny forearms, but the inclusion of a folding knife is kinda interesting. :rolleyes: It would be a huge improvement if the forearms were wider at the elbow and tapered down to the wrist instead of looking like a 2x4 plank with a hand at the end. For all his brilliance and ability to create beautiful designs, choices like this make me wonder what Kawamori is thinking. :wacko:

I just realized what the main gear reminds me of---the YF-23's. Just the "bent backwards" shape etc. And the YF-23's gear is itself, modified F-18 gear. (basically removing the largest secondary strut).

tumblr_mm6bfgcxk11r04vbeo1_1280.jpg

(yes, this is a real YF-23, it just looks "fakey" because this pic was taken just after refurbishment---fresh paint on the stealthiest fighter airframe ever made means it's SMOOOOTH)

LANDING GEAR CONFIRMED! and you wouldnt have guessed where the wing gears are deployed from.. ^_^:DB))

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/review?scode=TOY-RBT-4059&page=

And other stuff too... :p

Just like the Transformers Legends Classics Jetfire from a few years back.

Oh, and incidentally the weapon pod on this manages to look good even in battloid. Hopefully that will also be true on the eventual real DX toy and from different angles.

Edited by GabrielV

I just realized what the main gear reminds me of---the YF-23's. Just the "bent backwards" shape etc. And the YF-23's gear is itself, modified F-18 gear. (basically removing the largest secondary strut).

I could buy it if the gear looked anything like that, but I think they're doing more harm than good advertising the kit with what amounts to a big sign saying "MECHANICAL LOOKING STUFF GOES HERE LATER."

Mostly, I have a hard time Kawamori would ever okay something that looks that nonsensical in one of his designs. I honestly think the MP Starscream gear look worlds better than whatever that monstrous linkage is.

Edited by Chronocidal

I certainly hope/believe that that is of course, literal "placeholder stick-gear". But I will not be shocked if the final mold looks like that.

As for practicality---I do wonder about the gear bay doors being that large and that close to the fuselage---they certainly couldn't do a carrier landing, the gear struts only seem to have about 1" of movement to be able to compress, before the gear door/kneecap would slam up into the shin.

Plus, retracting the gear--would pull the gear doors into "massive airbrake position" right when you're trying to accelerate. Now, that's not unprecedented---the F-111 does it, as does, erm, uh, some Russian plane I can't think of right now... But I've never thought it was a smart way to do gear doors.

Like wm cheng, I'm not surprised at the beefiness and "second priority"-ness of the landing gear. Bandai have always (well, for the most part) designed their model kits as toys, not as models. Their plastic tends to be thicker, too, and they avoid sharp angles at all costs.

It'll still sell like hotcakes due to the transformation gimmick. And they're accurate enough. Say what you will about Bandai, but they're at least smart about getting right what needs to be gotten right.

First look at the landing gear? I wonder how the DX version will look compared to the 1/72 version.

TOY-RBT-4059_08.jpg

interesting the way the gear would fold out! I do like the concept but those wheels clearly aren't meant to roll.. or so it would appear so. I hope the 1:60 toy will have proper functioning wheel and maybe a little more strut detailing.

I don't think it would bode well for the 1/60 DX version, true that its slightly larger, but most likely it would be some kind of die-cast metal and I don't think the metal molds can hold as much detail as plastic molds - it might actually be simplier. The 1/72 scale version is supposed to be a model - therefore more detail/realistic than the toy, this gear looks almost laughable IMHO.

First look at the landing gear? I wonder how the DX version will look compared to the 1/72 version.

Well, the DX toys continue Bandai's tradition of not particularly good-looking landing gear, so I wouldn't expect them to look much better on the toys than the models.

interesting the way the gear would fold out! I do like the concept but those wheels clearly aren't meant to roll.. or so it would appear so. I hope the 1:60 toy will have proper functioning wheel and maybe a little more strut detailing.

The knee armor looks to be empty space, and I think I can just barely make out a black arm (it blends in with the wheel and the aforementioned cavity) that connects to the wheel axle. So it looks like it can roll, but it certainly is a tight fit.

I'm kinda more curious when they're going to stop stealing the wheels from HotWheels cars, and take the 5 freaking minutes it would take to google something like "aircraft landing gear." It's not that hard. :rolleyes:

If I didn't know any better (and quite honestly, I kind of don't actually know for sure), I'd think Bandai was actually purposefully avoiding making anything that would look remotely realistic.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm kinda more curious when they're going to stop stealing the wheels from HotWheels cars, and take the 5 freaking minutes it would take to google something like "aircraft landing gear." It's not that hard. :rolleyes:

If I didn't know any better (and quite honestly, I kind of don't actually know for sure), I'd think Bandai was actually purposefully avoiding making anything that would look remotely realistic.

They're going for longevity. Something that can withstand some punishment rather than specifically looking accurate.

They're going for longevity. Something that can withstand some punishment rather than specifically looking accurate.

Probably bandai's rationale would be that most folks would use the included stand, or that the gears wouldnt be that noticable, due to the jet profile hiding it somewhat while on the ground.

I like where kawamori train of thought is going, though in practical essense, bandai's engineers would be looking up at the ceiling and shouting kawamori's name each time a new radical valk comes out.

Already i dont expect many would want to have the gears out in fear of scratching the knee cap paint. Unless they have a pivot joint mechanism acting like a suspension and avoids the knee cap to touch the shin. That may be hard to fold back in.

+1 for the idea though...

One thing am looking forward is the jet profile with the gears out. If it points nose down with the back wheels acting like a suspension spring lifting the back for a aggresive stabce, i thk that would be a really nice ground parked profile. B))

yes definitely not impressed by that landing gear detail.. looks like something ET would do. Like I said I hope the Bandai DX toy is massively improved over this. If not then the plane won't ever be displayed with its landing gear deployed.

*OUCH* to ET.

VF-31E Sigfried model kit or up preorder

http://www.hlj.com/product/bann09545

The promo shot looks good, except for the canopy area which seems a lil fake. But if it is indeed this quality, you get the whole platoon for a bargain!

Wish the E could have its radar part on though.

And dem panel lines iz amazing mon.

Edited by seti88

VF-31E Sigfried model kit or up preorder

http://www.hlj.com/product/bann09545

Is that the only Mechcolle up now? The canopy in those pics look better than the other preview ones.

Edit: Nevermind. Hayate's, Arad's, the VF-171, and Keith's SV-262 are also up on HLJ though Chuck's looks like the only finished one right now.

Edited by wmkjr

The poor clearance of the gear covers and angled back legs remind me a bit of line art for the YF-19 undercarriage. Looks to me like the base design is Kawamori but typical under detailed-ness of Bandai kit landing gears. DX version will likely look better.

Edited by Vifam7

Wish the E could have its radar part on though.

I think the E type's radome might fold up and mount underneath like the F-type's weapon pod. You can make out what looks like a hinge at the very rear of the fighter in the official art. Compare with Hayate's VF-31F:

1.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by Delta

I think the E type's radome might fold up and mount underneath like the F-type's weapon pod. You can make out what looks like a hinge at the very rear of the fighter in the official art. Compare with Hayate's VF-31F:

1.jpg

Yup. As mentioned a few pages ago, it folds underneath it. Here's another rear angle photo of the VF-31E Mecha Collection Valk from AmiAmi. You can see the edge of the radome at the back.

BANM160602.jpg

Photo from TagHobby.

Edited by no3ljm

Am not sure if bandai is being lazy with promotional material or if that's the actual e type altho it's painted like it. I thk the E type had a chopped off tail ie stump as per previous examples shown b4..

I was also wondering if the mecha colle had an E type with radar deployed version. Am quite sure they don't transform based on the price point..

Guest davidwhangchoi

TOY-RBT-4059_08.jpg

looks like the bottom of my luggage

(yes, this is a real YF-23, it just looks "fakey" because this pic was taken just after refurbishment---fresh paint on the stealthiest fighter airframe ever made means it's SMOOOOTH)

Because the photo is too beautiful not to be quoted. See here, even this squat gear I don't mind. If that kneegear is how they will handle it in the DX, the side profile view will be a bit funny.

I don't know why, but I'm not liking any of the 31 paint schemes. Probably the bright colors and stripes. Eager to see what the cannon fodder variants look like.

this is one of the reasons why im thinking of buying only the VF-31A (if they actually do a DX toy of it) as it will most likely be a more neutral/plain/cannon fodder-ish paint scheme. All the rest do look like an air show team.. :rolleyes:

looks like the bottom of my luggage

LOL! :lol:

Because the photo is too beautiful not to be quoted. See here, even this squat gear I don't mind. If that kneegear is how they will handle it in the DX, the side profile view will be a bit funny.

yes she sure is a glamour eh! :wub: such a shame they couldn't find a use for her to enter production.. oh well.. what could have been. -_-

Edited by spanner76

Total tangent, but I just realized how strange it is that Northrop nicknamed their test aircraft the Gray Ghost, when historically that name belonged to one of the P-80 prototypes - made by their direct competitor in the ATF competition.

I just missed getting to see this bird, my personal Holy Grail of Airplanes, when I visited the AF Museum a couple years ago (one whole section of awesome birds was closed due to budget sequestration, including JFK's Boeing-707, the XB-70, and the YF-23, to name but a few. Damn you, Congress!). The YF-23 is by far my favorite aircraft, and I've always felt we as a country were cheated when they selected the inferior YF-22 as the ATF. I'd so love a high quality transforming version of this plane. Unofficially, the folks who worked on the plane called her Black Widow II, and at one point, I believe she even sported a red hourglass on her belly. However, the Northrop heads neither liked nor approved of the name. Anyway, there were two prototypes, PAV 1 and PAV 2, one dark gray (Black Widow), one light gray (Gray Ghost). So this was likely the light gray acft painted dark gray for display. Looks lovely. :wub:

Anyway, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the gear design of the VF-31's model is echoed on the DX toy. It's ugly and impractical, but much less complex than making a standard collapsible gear mounted on a proper strut. It certainly cheapens the design, though.

Edited by M'Kyuun