Funny question, what were the hip guns on the VF-25? I know the ones on the VF-19 were supposed to be lasers, but it's getting hard to tell the difference in this universe.

And even if the arm cannons are projectile weapons, I still bet they'll have a gunpod of some sort to carry around. Otherwise, you can't have those cool sakurahime poses! :p

IIRC, the hip guns on the 25 were originally 25mm shell firing cannons, but the ones operated by SMS in the show were converted to beam cannons for use in space.

Loving the fighter and GERWALK design, although the battroid's kind of derivative of the MF Valk designs. On the other hand, it's a natural design evolution in the context of the fiction.

I just hope this thing doesn't do a song and dance number in the anime.

...damn, I think I might have jinxed it just by mentioning that. :ph34r:

in fighter mode it definitely has strong design influence from the 30 but in battroid it seems to combine elements from both the 25 & 30. So I presume it still has roots back to the original YF-24 then? Quite interesting. I though it would have been much more closer to the 30.

I'm really liking battroid (except the back kibble). Could be interpreted as a boring design in battroid with all the straight lines and boxy legs but it workds for me.

Same here. this may be blasphemy but I wish I can jettison the backpack somehow.

after looking at the pictures....its a nice fighter mode (like most frontier valks had), but the battroid mode only looks good from straight on....where you can't see they just bend the wing area back 90 degrees just like the frontier valk era designs....i'm disappointed. its just a gussied up frontierM30 era valk IMO.

I don't see any clips. Battroid mode won't have the cockpit droop from the 30 since it only bends down 90 vs the 30's 180.

Just notice that...it will have a similar transformation method but not the same in the nose/chest area and in the hip area.

Look good so far.

LOVE the nose. Shorter than the 25's, and elegantly curved. Nice canopy shape too. Air intakes look a bit broad-sided to the airflow and blocky. Kinda clumsy transition between the fuselage side and the wing root. Nice and cohesive Battroid mode and very nice Gerwalk. Like the guns and micro-missile launchers.

Oh, and single seater, apparently. It has the panel behind the first cockpit like the 25, dunno if it's removable.

Overall, very nice bird!

i don't wanna rain on everyone's parade but the color scheme doesn't work for me. too thunderbirds-like and not enough hi vis tomcat scheme-like. it looks great in the trailer but the toy doesn't do anything for me, especially the battroid.

The color scheme on the VF-31 toy that's been shown reminds me an awful lot of this:

Russian Knights aerobatic team! gorgeous looking jets! Kinda distantly similar colors to the Macross Angel Birds Valkyrie display team too!

russian-knight1.jpghsg65798_0.jpg

thts a new term hack and slash and shoot...i wonder if they will do replacements on the forearm weapons tho on different vf-31's to differentiate them...

I certainly hope so!

A Russian jet with Merica's color? What blasphemy is this?!

It's not just America has that color. Australia and even the Philippines. Also, it's the color of Slovakia, as well. :lol:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_White_and_Blue So no blasphemy there. ;)

Russian Knights aerobatic team! gorgeous looking jets! Kinda distantly similar colors to the Macross Angel Birds Valkyrie display team too!

russian-knight1.jpghsg65798_0.jpg

I certainly hope so!

Lovely. :wub:

Edited by no3ljm

I think the head unit is growing on me more. I didn't realize before but the forearms in those battroid mode pics look like really thin and tiny sticks, even compared to the YF-30's which I thought still looked okay.

Since the nose on the VF-31 folds down like the VF-25's, it looks like one side effect seems to be that it will limit any waist articulation it might have. The YF-30 had the best waist articulation of any valk to date.

I think the head unit is growing on me more. I didn't realize before but the forearms in those battroid mode pics look like really thin and tiny sticks, even compared to the YF-30's which I thought still looked okay.

Since the nose on the VF-31 folds down like the VF-25's, it looks like one side effect seems to be that it will limit any waist articulation it might have. The YF-30 had the best waist articulation of any valk to date.

I thk ur right. There is a line across on the area of the torso behind the crotch which may indicate turning point.

however it would seem that the nosecone would bump into the crotch armour plate.

That would limit approx less than 45 degree rotation to either side. The 30 had no crotch armour to bump into i think....

looks like they have also gone back to a much narrower cockpit canopy reminiscent of the VF-25 & 29.. I always felt that the cockpit canopy of the 30 was just too big and bulbous and didn't suit the Valk so much.

Still I'd have rather seen a frame-less forward canopy section like on the F-16 (and VF-1, VF-11) but I don't mind what they have done with the 31.

Edited by spanner76

The biggest change is that having the nose cone fold down 90 degrees instead of flipping back 180 means it doesn't protrude out behind the Battroid which means whatever container is loaded onto it can stay folded downward and out of sight in Battroid. On the YF-30 it had to stay up because that nose cone was in the way.

Also, are they going to release effects parts for all of our Frontier Valks too?

Edited by Mommar

I think Kawamori took what worked on the 25 and the 30, and made a hybrid of the two designs in the 31. The 30 has a novel transformation based around the waist swivel, but the alignment of head, shoulder, and hip was off a bit on that valk, and as much as I wanted to like it, it just didn't appeal to me enough to get one. Looking at the pics of the 31, I'm finding it far more appealing, if derivative. I wish he'd gone a different direction from Frontier on both Delta valks, but at least the 262 will allegedly be different. I hope so. The valks are really what make Macross so appealing to me, and a huge part of that comes from the design differences from valk to valk.

Also, is it me, or is the missile container missing in battroid? You can see it in the fighter pics, but I don't see it in the battroid...just a lot of empty space due to the angle of the backpack. I know a lot of folks here don't care for the 25's wing configuration in battroid, but I like it quite a bit; I imagine his HFH based it off of Renaissance depiction of angels. And, it was called the Messiah. Just thinking in text.

Gotta say, I like the paint job on that sample...something about blue, white, and gray. Really nice. That red stripe on the canards/shoulder armor really pops from the rest of the thing.