Macross Outside Story - Fully Translated

Gubaba

Well, after four years (most of it spent procrastinating on "The Plundering Fleet"), I finally finished the complete translation of "Macross Outside Story from Perfect Memory. If you have the book, you probably know that it's in three parts: the timeline, "The Plundering Fleet," and "The Lost Two Years."

The timeline is the embryo for every other Macross timeline, including the much more amplified ones in the Compendium and in Macross Chronicle, so it probably wasn't really necessary to translate it, but I think it's interesting to look back and see how they approached it back in 1983. Plus, it was easy to translate. My biggest hurdle with it was figuring out the formatting.

"The Plundering Fleet," I've already uploaded and discussed, but it's worth pointing out that the version here has some revisions based on feedback from others, notably Hannou Heiki, who's been a great "close reader."

"The Lost Two Years" is simultaneously the most interesting and most annoying story for me. It was relatively easy to translate (especially after the nightmarish syntax of "The Plundering Fleet") and the first half is really cool... And then the second half nearly loses me. Which I guess is to be expected. While I think the WORLD of the post-war episodes is great, it always bugged me how the love story, seemingly closed after Episode 27, got cracked back open again... and the second chapter goes into detail about that. There's still a lot to like in it, but Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay (ESPECIALLY Minmay) in it don't seem to fit my idea of what they were like in the series.

Still... MELTRANDI WRESTLING!!

Macross Outside Story.pdf