Conversion options for an old, complete bandai jetfire

Mazinger

I have had a complete Jetfire for years and have started looking at it as a possible conversion project to a VF-1J. I've seen a sticker kit going for $75 I believe, but that seems a bit steep. How would you guys approach this if at all?

I am not an experiences modder or model builder to my lack of skills are one consideration.

The lack of experience as a modder or model builder is going to be your biggest hurdle. Yes, it's possible to do this conversion. Mostly, you'll need a VF-1J head to stock on there. You can try to find a junky takatoku 1J to swap out, or you can hunt for an aftermarket resin replacement, somebody on these boards might still have one. You also need to extensively repaint your valk, no matter what you do. That's a tall order for some. You might also need decals, which again, you might be able to find aftermarket, or it's possible to design and print your own. Pretty much everything does require some degree of skill and experience, and there really aren't any shortcuts to it.

You can find a lot of painting and modding information and tutorials to get you started, and some of our model builders would probably be happy to give you any pointers and tips that you need. My best suggestion is to pick up a few model kits and just try building and painting them first. Modding a toy is pretty much exactly like building an old school model kit from the ground up.

Is this the chunky monkey Bandai figure, correct? The old 1/55 Takatoku valks? For that sticker price you mentioned, I think it's better to buy the valk instead. ;)

Anyways, good luck on doing the modding/conversion. Looking forward on your update pics. :)

Decisions, decisions.

I would feel a little bad about massacring a "perfectly good" Jetfire seeing as there's probably some TF fan out there that might want it as is.

Maybe I just gotta unload it on eBay and use what I can get for it to get the VF-# of my dreams.

Really, I should probably wait till all the Delta dust settles to see if something else doesn't come up that zaps my wallet with a tractor beam.