YF-30 weathered take a look

mustang1

Always interesting to hear the different methods we use to beautify of valks. I've been using some dry brushing to show wear on the metallic/darker parts, and then Gundam real touch markers for the shading and panel lining.

I'm also interested to see your weathered VF-19 Adv. I weathered mine also, but mostly in battroid mode, so if I transform it back to fighter or gerwalk there will probably be some parts that are not weathered and also missing top coat. :p

The opposite for my Arcadia YF-19. It's in fighter mode, and was weathered that way too (also because I busted the wing, so it's permanently glued to the root)

Thanks spanner! Hopefully I will get it in soon and I can start the process. Will defiantly post pics. That beautiful baby just screams custom.

Eggy, I had such a long debate about what mode I would do the weathering in . Ultimately though, fighter won! 😉 Would love to see your pics!

I went crazy and did a binge buy and will be doing all the valks including

VF- 25 S with super parts

VF- 25 (alto) with super parts

VF -117 cannon fodder and alto both with super parts

VF-19 advance

Busy month! And rediculouly expensive! 😒

Question.. so when you apply the "top coat" I presume that is a clear coat of some kind yes? But wont that then upset the tolerances for transformation? I know some parts are very tight as it is.. Sorry im not big on modding or modelling.

Hmm. I'm not sure if it would cause any issues. I use Mr Hobby Topcoat Matt, and the coating is very fine. Since I only coat the top surfaces (not the inner parts, gap between connections, joints etc) it shouldn't be an issue. For me the top coat gives the toy a more model look, and also to lock in the weathering and stickers (for Yamato/Arcadia)

Eggy, I had such a long debate about what mode I would do the weathering in . Ultimately though, fighter won! Would love to see your pics!

Here is my YF-19

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39470&page=166#entry1227224

and My VF-19 Adv

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41848&page=99#entry1211463

Has been reposed since that photo as I moved desk at work. :p

I should post a new photo.

I went crazy and did a binge buy and will be doing all the valks including

VF- 25 S with super parts

VF- 25 (alto) with super parts

VF -117 cannon fodder and alto both with super parts

VF-19 advance

Busy month! And rediculouly expensive!

WOW! Lots to do.

I got a big backlog too. Lots of old Yamato VF-1s to work on - just finished my VF-1J MP and working on a VF-1A MP at the moment. Also a VF-25A MP in the backlog too. I love the brownies :p

Hmm. I'm not sure if it would cause any issues. I use Mr Hobby Topcoat Matt, and the coating is very fine. Since I only coat the top surfaces (not the inner parts, gap between connections, joints etc) it shouldn't be an issue. For me the top coat gives the toy a more model look, and also to lock in the weathering and stickers (for Yamato/Arcadia)

some of the VF-1 customs I had build the painted surfaces caused a few tolerance issues and had to be sanded down further so they would move freely and not scratch. As you said maybe the clear coat is a lot finer and doesn't present an issue.

Question.. so when you apply the "top coat" I presume that is a clear coat of some kind yes? But wont that then upset the tolerances for transformation? I know some parts are very tight as it is.. Sorry im not big on modding or modelling.

good question spanner, what I have found is that the issues with transformation after a top coat , dull or clear are relative to how thick/thin a layer that is applied. I usually stick to a very thin layer on these valks as think layers are not usually needed.

I think he has the Batgirl Sideshow Premium Format Statue. Based on Artgerm's drawing. Lovely. :wub:

300242-batgirl-10.jpg

you are correct sir! pre-order that baby when she was announced! I will post some pics amazing sculpt!

Here is my YF-19

and My VF-19 Adv

WOW! Lots to do.

I got a big backlog too. Lots of old Yamato VF-1s to work on - just finished my VF-1J MP and working on a VF-1A MP at the moment. Also a VF-25A MP in the backlog too. I love the brownies :p

wow !!!! that 19 looks sick! amazing job! yes please more pics!

Cool. I like seeing more people doing weathering stuff!

Look forward to see you do your other valks.

I've got a bit of a backlog to work through myself. I just lack time :(

Thanks MJ yeah, its just finding the time. I cant wait for them to come in!

Here is my YF-19

and My VF-19 Adv

WOW! Lots to do.

DUDE!!!!!!! just saw the 19 advanced! wicked!!!!!! :D:D:D :D :D

Edited by mustang1

some of the VF-1 customs I had build the painted surfaces caused a few tolerance issues and had to be sanded down further so they would move freely and not scratch. As you said maybe the clear coat is a lot finer and doesn't present an issue.

Ahh yes. Painted surfaces I think have potential to cause transformation issues.

That has me thinking about the customs paints I plan to do. I don't have an air brush and would be painting the large surfaces with Mr Hobby spray paint. Hopefully I can be light handed with the paint so it isn't a major issue. :)

Ahh yes. Painted surfaces I think have potential to cause transformation issues.

That has me thinking about the customs paints I plan to do. I don't have an air brush and would be painting the large surfaces with Mr Hobby spray paint. Hopefully I can be light handed with the paint so it isn't a major issue. :)

I'd imagine an airbrush would allow you to apply a layer of paint far thinner than any spray can would eh?

Edited by spanner76