Macross: Do You Remember Love? Blu-Ray v2 now open for preorder!&#

treatment

Darn it, I wish still had my ancient off-air VHS recording of DYRL. The first time I saw DYRL was such a copy and I'm almost sure the head gore was in the TV broadcast as well.

I still have my bootleg with the English voices and Japanese subtitles. It has the full ending too. I wish I had more of those old VHS tapes just for a sense of nostalgia of how I originally watched anime. And for some of the small trailers, commercials, and clips that were on them.

Darn it, I wish still had my ancient off-air VHS recording of DYRL. The first time I saw DYRL was such a copy and I'm almost sure the head gore was in the TV broadcast as well.

It's a developement from recent years, so wouldm't be an issue on ancient recording.

thanks for the attempts, yep, it's sharper on the flashback upscale.

It looks sharper because it has been sharpened (not by me, it is in the FB2012 source). My point is that it has the same blurriness, meaning it comes from the same source.

So, if the new blu-ray looks better, it is because it will (i) use motion-adaptive DNR, (ii) sharpening, and not because there is a new source.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember having trouble, in the past, trying to find some Macross merchandise for one reason or another. I still struggle mightly with Hiragana, Kanji, and Katakana...which makes trying to Google this stuff even harder. I imagine I am not alone in this, so I just thought I would help save others some trouble in trying to find other options to pre-order this. If I find any other websites I will update this post, unless 'treatment' decides to update his original post. I am going to include the two links 'treatment' already gave in the original post.

I haven't been able to find a pre-order link for Tsutaya or Animate. I am assuming AmiAmi, CDJapan, and YesAsia are all getting the 'standard' edition.

To quote Renato http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=30860&page=49#entry1225647 :

From Bandai Visual's Home page:

「マクロス」シリーズ 劇場版 店舗特典(各作品毎に特典が付きます)
<アニメイト> ジャケットサイズイラストカード
※過去に発売されたパッケージのジャケットイラスト使用
<Amazon> オリジナル三方背ケース
※版権イラスト使用
<TSUTAYA RECORDS(※一部店舗除く)/TSUTAYAオンライン> オリジナルブロマイド
※版権イラスト使用

Animate Exclusive edition will have "Jacket-sized illustration cards", Amazon will have the special case (I looked into it, it's actually just going to be an outer box, not really a "3-fold case" as I described earlier, sorry), and Tsutaya will have an original "bromide", which is basically a high-quality image on photo stock paper. I already ordered the Amazon version of DYRL... Not sure what to do about the others. I love that M7 movie, but one half-hour BD... I'm quite on the fence about that. Frontier doesn't really draw me in and MacPlus is somewhat bland at this point.

Or I might just break down and get them all. I don't know what to do!! :wacko::lol:

Edit: I do not know if this is the actual website for 'Animate', but I believe that is the pre-order link. Outside of something like Google Translate, I do not know if there is an English translation for the page or if they will even ship outside of Japan.... The 'US' website does not have a pre-order link, but here's the address to the main site: https://en.animate-onlineshop.jp/

Edited by Oihan

It's odd because we know that they did add English subs to the previous releases of MacrossPlus Movie Edition and the Frontier movies, which I thought was a step in the right direction, but now they've actually gone and taken them out. So much for progress. :unsure:

It's odd because we know that they did add English subs to the previous releases of MacrossPlus Movie Edition and the Frontier movies, which I thought was a step in the right direction, but now they've actually gone and taken them out. So much for progress. :unsure:

Wow, that's pretty strange for a rerelease. I wonder if it was simply a non-priority when recompiling the discs, or if it was a deliberate omission...

Edited by HannouHeiki

Sounds like a deliberate omission.

Anyway, with regards to picture quality in DYRL.... And the forthcoming MacPlus Movie Edition.

I had an interesting conversation online today with a couple of the most in-the-know people in the animation industry. One of them worked on the DYRL project and was witness to all sorts of goings-on behind the scenes back in 1984.

I had asked about why some anime looks fantastic on Blu-ray and some looks like it still needs a lot of work. For example, 1974 Yamato and 1983 Orguss look incredible, while 1982 SDFM TV looks... sort of meh. Similarly, Macross7 and Macross Plus are contemporaneous with each other, being as they are both from 1994, and clearly (literally) M7 looks a lot less grainy. I asked if it was just the storage conditions for film, as well as film stock. I knew that Orguss and M7 were shot in 35mm, while SDFM TV was 16mm for cost-cutting. Turns out that both Orguss and M7 were both produced with home video merchandising in mind, so it had to be better than broadcast quality. SDFM was not. Add to that the fact that TMS (who produced Orguss) at the time were doing all their output in 35mm (Ironman28, GodMars, etc.) because they wanted to keep their options open with regards to potential digest movie editions later down the line.

But both DYRL and MacPlus were planned from the get-go to be screened in theaters, and so both are 35mm... So why do M7 and Orguss look clearer? The answer is, funnily enough, that they used special filtering techniques during the photographing stage that makes the whole picture seem less like a bunch of cels on a screen.

That made me recall a comment here on MW by a user a long time ago, way back when the M7 HD Remaster DVDs came out and side-by-side comparison pics were being posted (before we even had any Macross on Bluray, I think), about how some scenes look "filmed" on the original VHS/DVDs, but in the new sets, they look clearer, yes, but more like "drawings", and thus it detracts away from the feeling of "realism".

I think the staff on DYRL and MPlus were after this kind of "visual realism"... However, if you are after crystal clarity, there will be a limit, since the only thing improved resolution is going to will be to highlight the grain.

Orguss, M7 and now Megazone23 look really great, though. :)

I have to share this rather amusing and metaphorical review on Amazon Japan. Although I'm studying Japanese, I'm not that great yet, so I apologize if my translation isn't entirely accurate.

"A word about the previously released 30th anniversary blu-ray.
The software released only a few years ago was inedible. I came to eat tuna by a legendary sushi chef. Kids these days add wasabi where it is not needed. It was unpleasant to eat.
Please don't betray your regular customers since 30 years, this time.
We want a graciously competitive tuna dish".
Note: Macross and tuna are written similarly in Japanese. マクロス (Makurosu), マグロ (maguro)

Question ..

What is the difference between these three, are these english subtitles on them?:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90Amazon-co-jp%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E3%80%91%E5%8A%87%E5%A0%B4%E7%89%88-%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9F-~%E3%82%A4%E3%83%84%E3%83%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%8E%E3%82%A6%E3%82%BF%E3%83%92%E3%83%A1~-%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B8%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB%E4%B8%89%E6%96%B9%E8%83%8C%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E4%BB%98-Blu-ray/dp/B015I9LPT2/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MG40CGXXM09H7S39TZQ

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90Amazon-co-jp%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E3%80%91%E8%B6%85%E6%99%82%E7%A9%BA%E8%A6%81%E5%A1%9E%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9-%E6%84%9B%E3%83%BB%E3%81%8A%E3%81%BC%E3%81%88%E3%81%A6%E3%81%84%E3%81%BE%E3%81%99%E3%81%8B-%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B8%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB%E4%B8%89%E6%96%B9%E8%83%8C%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E4%BB%98-Blu-ray-%E9%95%B7%E8%B0%B7%E6%9C%89%E6%B4%8B/dp/B015I9LPC4/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KCZF5KXN2D57VW3BD6A

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90Amazon-co-jp%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E3%80%91%E5%8A%87%E5%A0%B4%E7%89%88-%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9F-~%E3%82%B5%E3%83%A8%E3%83%8A%E3%83%A9%E3%83%8E%E3%83%84%E3%83%90%E3%82%B5~-%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B8%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB%E4%B8%89%E6%96%B9%E8%83%8C%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E4%BB%98-Blu-ray/dp/B015I9LOSE/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KCZF5KXN2D57VW3BD6A

Only the middle one is the DYRL re-release.

The top and bottom links are Frontier and not DYRL.

DYRL does not come with english-subtitles.

Unless it's a bootlegged fansub...

Is there a DYRL bluray or TV ver with eng subs?

Like I said before, nope. Not on official ones.

The only ones that contains english-subs will be hk-engrish bootlegs and/or bootlegged fansubs, which you don't really want to buy since you can most likely get the grammar-correct fansubs for free with other means.

There is also no "TV" version of DYRL.

There is only the official "TV" version of Macross, which is the original SDF:Macross. Animeigo and ADVFilms (or Madman from Australia?) used to sell their official US dvd-versions, but I'm not sure if either one is still being sold, tho, but you can try amazon and stuff. As such, either one contain english-subs.

I don't think the official Japanese blu-ray version of Macross TV from BandaiVisual contain english-subs.

Edited by treatment

Question is there a way to run a sub file in VLC player while watching a blu-ray in VLC player? In other words is it always necessary to rip the video then re-author it with a sub track?

I don't think VLC can play commercial BDs unless it is a bootleg with no encryption.

I don't think VLC can play commercial BDs unless it is a bootleg with no encryption.

Yeah, not by itself. I had to download a specific version and a special codec that works with that version of VLC. Then I still need to have AnyDVD running while I watch. Just wasn't sure if someone put out a subtitle file that maybe I can run while watching the BD.

Yeah, not by itself. I had to download a specific version and a special codec that works with that version of VLC. Then I still need to have AnyDVD running while I watch. Just wasn't sure if someone put out a subtitle file that maybe I can run while watching the BD.

You can use these subs, which I timed to the Blu-ray. And yes, you can load them while playing the BD with VLC, assuming you have AnyDVD or another decrypting software running. Just click on "Subtitles", and then on "Add Subtitle File". I prefer Media Player Classic Home Cinema, though.

You can use these subs, which I timed to the Blu-ray. And yes, you can load them while playing the BD with VLC, assuming you have AnyDVD or another decrypting software running. Just click on "Subtitles", and then on "Add Subtitle File". I prefer Media Player Classic Home Cinema, though.

Thanks a million! I'll try it out. :) Also, for pointing me towards MPC-HC. Seems a lot simpler to use.

Edit: One more thing. As you may know playing it while running AnyDVD gets rid of the menu and simply plays the movie. I notice 2 video files 00000.MPLS(1:55:03) and 00001.MPLS(1:55:02) I recall the DVD had 2 as well one "HD" and the other not. What are the 2 files on the Blu-ray? I couldn't quickly tell the difference when watching a bit of both files.

Edited by sharky

No. None of the TV series have subs. That goes for SDF Macross, Macross 7, and Macross Frontier.

Please send your message of thanks for that to the usual source.

Edit: One more thing. As you may know playing it while running AnyDVD gets rid of the menu and simply plays the movie. I notice 2 video files 00000.MPLS(1:55:03) and 00001.MPLS(1:55:02) I recall the DVD had 2 as well one "HD" and the other not. What are the 2 files on the Blu-ray? I couldn't quickly tell the difference when watching a bit of both files.

Each of them is a different version of the movie. 00000.MPLS is one second longer because it includes an opening text scroll, while 00001.MPLS is the "theatrical" version with no text scroll. I believe I synched the subs to the slightly longer version, although there's no translation for the text scroll in them. In case the timing is off, try the other version.

Edited by Zhou

Each of them is a different version of the movie. 00000.MPLS is one second longer because it includes an opening text scroll, while 00001.MPLS is the "theatrical" version with no text scroll. I believe I synched the subs to the slightly longer version, although there's no translation for the text scroll in them. In case the timing is off, try the other version.

Again, thanks for your help. :-)

No. None of the TV series have subs. That goes for SDF Macross, Macross 7, and Macross Frontier.

Please send your message of thanks for that to the usual source.

Oh really? Because according to this post frontier movie does have eng subs : http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40402&p=1239940

Edited by monishb

The Macross Plus box set has subs on the movie, dubs on the OVA.

The Frontier Shudisuta boxset has subs on the movies (you're welcome, by the way).

It's not much but it's a start so maybe start with those and keep your fingers crossed that Delta will follow recent Bandai Visual subtitling trends. :-)