Alien: Covenant (formerly known as Prometheus 2)

taksraven

But why the name 'Alien: Convenant'? When they changed the name of Prometheus to Prometheus, they said it would be a stand alone movie not involved in the Alien movies...? now?

I think it's the former - movie exec's these days tend to go for the low-risk, moderate-return business model, and putting more Aliens into it would make it more of a bankable film in this season of sequels...

A better film? That remains to be seen. *cough* AVP2 *cough*.

Edit: clarified spelling

Edited by sketchley

• 4 weeks later...

Well they've wasted our time with remaking/mutilating movies like Star Trek II and Star wars Episode 4, so sure, why not, go ahead and remake Alien, one of the most perfect sci-fi/horror movies of all time into another eye rolling inducing mess...

Edited by myk

I'm getting a weird AVP: Requiem vibe from this trailer, probably because of the extra bloody gore. Even though ALIEN and ALIENS had some gore that isn't what they made those films awesome.

I'm reading about the new directions they are going with the xenomorphs in this new movie. Seems like they are digging into the original ALIEN script plus HR Giger's concept art for inspiration. That just tells me they are out of ideas.

I'll only see this film if it has really good reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

My main issue with the trailer is why in the far future they are still armed with AR-15s with EoTech sights an M-Lok handguards.

If you're gonna do  a far future space movie, make the effort to give the characters some futuristic looking weaponry too, don't cheap out and use contemporary guns and think nobody will notice.

Especially as Aliens set the gold standard for cool looking futuristic guns with the M41A Pulse Rifle.

Covenant AR 1.jpg

But honestly how difficult would it be for them to at least do a Star Wars and stick a few greeblies on top of a real firearm to make it more sci-fi looking and not  like a contemporary modern sporting rifle.

Just for me, this is the kinda thing I always notice and that annoys me when watching a movie and it takes me out of the movie and spoils my suspension of disbelief.

They spend millions on the look of the movie, designing cool futuristic looking space ships, vehicles, cities, spacesuits, sets etc and then cheap out on the weapons and use unmodified, present day firearms......Grrrrr.

Unless that character shown in the trailer is presented as having a backstory where he's a collector of antique weapons, then this is laziness on the behalf of the production crew and designers.

Yeah, it would definitely be better if they had a "star" gun, like Aliens.

On the one hand, firearms are a mature technology, not typically prone to radical change. On the other, they ARE prone to gradual evolution as well as the aesthetic whims of the day, and DO look different from era to era(ignoring the Colt 1911, which by all appearances will still be in common use in 2211).

Also, things like the ammo indicator in the pulse rifle make sense for a futuregun where such a feature is close to free, and it'd be nice to see that kind of forward thinking.

1 hour ago, GMK said:

Round counters are fielded tech from 2011. Thing is, they're internal, sealed units, interrogated by RFID, for conditions-based maintenance. Invisible to the operator. Google "Ru-bee" for more. 

Very interesting.  Very interesting indeed.

The references I found seem to count lifetime rounds fired through a gun, rather than ammo remaining in the magazine.  I suppose you can assume every magazine inserted carries X rounds and just reset the counter to X on ever mag insert. That is easy enough, I suppose, but smacks of cheating.

Regardless! Very interesting tech that I had no idea existed!

On 05/01/2017 at 11:55 PM, JB0 said:

Very interesting.  Very interesting indeed.

The references I found seem to count lifetime rounds fired through a gun, rather than ammo remaining in the magazine.  I suppose you can assume every magazine inserted carries X rounds and just reset the counter to X on ever mag insert. That is easy enough, I suppose, but smacks of cheating.

Regardless! Very interesting tech that I had no idea existed!

Yeah, it's not intended for the user, with only thirty rounds, it's no big deal. Just use these: https://www.magpul.com/products/firearms-accessories/pmag-magazines/pmag-30-ar-m4-gen-m3-window

The maintenance aspects of the rifle fleet over a life of twenty years are the killers...I'll stop or I'll geek out 

Edited by GMK
Clarity - subject

I'm gonna echo Graham's sentiment of the props. I miss the dress up. Take this pic from the weekend:
636185724511661534-DF-18835-R-CROP.jpg]

It's a AUG with ACOG scope, folding grip, flashlight attachment. If I dug around I could probably find out what barrel shroud that is. It's like movie makers don't even try to make future guns look different.