Alien: Covenant (formerly known as Prometheus 2)

taksraven

2 minutes ago, electric indigo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

... huh, is anyone else flashing back to the old Aliens vs Predator 2 PC game from 2001?

On 5/7/2017 at 0:56 AM, TangledThorns said:

Early reviews look good and after the latest trailers I'm officially on board for seeing it.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/800654/Alien-Covenant-reviews-premiere-fan-reactions-Ridley-Scott

Heh, the reviews I've read are pretty negative.

After the disaster that was Prometheus, I'm going into Alien: Covenant with very low expectations, like AvP2 low.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-alien-covenant-434922.phtml

http://io9.gizmodo.com/alien-covenant-may-be-the-biggest-disappointment-of-th-1794898330

BBC news had an interesting review.  I only skimmed the callouts (trying to avoid spoilers, you know), but they summed the movie up as an interesting Blade Runner episode (!) in a middling Aliens movie.  Take what you want from that...

Frankly I was expecting the reviews to be worse but I'm more interested in a fan's review than a professional critic's. At this point I'm still going to see it.

My expectations won't be high and after thinking about it the biggest problem the ALIEN franchise ever had was the high bar set by the first two films.

I had a bad feeling about this movie since the first trailer dropped. The negative reviews only confirm my suspicions. I'll still see it, but damn. I was hoping that Ridley Scott's commercial and critical success with The Martian would have somehow given him a better sense of direction when dealing with the Alien franchise. I guess not. <_<

I don't put much stock in the words of career critics.  I want to see what the fans have to say; what WE have to say.  I will be there on the 19th with my 18" alien figure, ready to be thrilled or disappointed...

Prometheus was so mind numbingly mediocre that the reviews and previews for this were going to have to be a LOT better for me to see it in the theater.  I've only ever seen Aliens in the theater however, all the rest were video rental of one form or another.

15 hours ago, Phobos said:

I had a bad feeling about this movie since the first trailer dropped. The negative reviews only confirm my suspicions. I'll still see it, but damn. I was hoping that Ridley Scott's commercial and critical success with The Martian would have somehow given him a better sense of direction when dealing with the Alien franchise. I guess not. <_<

Ridley is a great director and though his work is not consistent, I place some of the blame on poor writing. Especially with Prometheus, that was all Lindelof's fault.

My favorite Ridley Scott film? GLADIATOR

I will admit that I have not yet seen this, and now I don't plan to. After reading every single spoiler for this movie (as told by those who have already seen it), my interest in seeing it has been reduced to zero. (Which is a shame, because I am a die-hard Alien and Aliens fan.) I am really turned off by inconsistencies in the lore, if that makes sense.

27 minutes ago, Axelay said:

I will admit that I have not yet seen this, and now I don't plan to. After reading every single spoiler for this movie (as told by those who have already seen it), my interest in seeing it has been reduced to zero. (Which is a shame, because I am a die-hard Alien and Aliens fan.) I am really turned off by inconsistencies in the lore, if that makes sense.

Haha, the lore went to crap in Resurrection and somehow went further down with the AVP films.

Honestly I think some of the fault lies with Ridley Scott and James Cameron. ALIEN and ALIENS set the bar so high that any sequel will look weak in comparison. However that is not an excuse for Hollywood not to try and make better ALIEN films. I'm 100% certain you can find a young director with a smaller budget that can make a good scary ALIEN film. ALIEN: Isolation is a good example of what can be done right with the ALIEN franchise.

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Haha, the lore went to crap in Resurrection and somehow went further down with the AVP films.

Honestly I think some of the fault lies with Ridley Scott and James Cameron. ALIEN and ALIENS set the bar so high that any sequel will look weak in comparison. However that is not an excuse for Hollywood not to try and make better ALIEN films. I'm 100% certain you can find a young director with a smaller budget that can make a good scary ALIEN film. ALIEN: Isolation is a good example of what can be done right with the ALIEN franchise.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I can't stand Resurrection. I have grown more tolerant of Alien3 over the years, but I still don't feel the "need" to watch it. (I have almost forgiven the Colonial Marines game for "righting" something which I always felt was a grievous writing mistake.) Alien: Isolation was truly amazing for the suspense which it created.

I agree, Alien and Aliens set the bar over the moon high, Alien 3 Director's cut really helped me like it somewhat better and listening to the commentary went even further, learning what Fincher was thrown into (he never had a finished script to work with and many other problems as well) and made to work with to the bitter end.  And I may be flamed here, but am I the only one that like the 1st AVP?? I thought it worked pretty well, and I enjoy repeated viewings. Now the 2nd one...that was crap. 

On May 15, 2017 at 5:02 PM, derex3592 said:

I agree, Alien and Aliens set the bar over the moon high, Alien 3 Director's cut really helped me like it somewhat better and listening to the commentary went even further, learning what Fincher was thrown into (he never had a finished script to work with and many other problems as well) and made to work with to the bitter end.  And I may be flamed here, but am I the only one that like the 1st AVP?? I thought it worked pretty well, and I enjoy repeated viewings. Now the 2nd one...that was crap. 

i enjoy avp also.  watch it every now and then, it's a fun movie.  far better than prometheus imo.

* side note - rewatched predator and damn! that's a great movie.

Since I know I'll never have time to go see it I figured I'd just listen to a synopsis of the plot with all of the spoilers.  Sounds like the devil is in the details as a rundown of what happens actually sounds like a good idea.  Seems the actual events are stitched together in some pretty weak/flimsy ways though.  There's no Lindeloff to blame on this one either.

Assuming the plot synopsis I read is correct, is it accurate for me to assume

Elizabeth Shaw is the biggest idiot in the entire Alien universe?

Also, does

David ever explain his motivation for experimenting with the Xenomorphs and all the killings he does?  Or is he just a screwed-up android?

Got burned by Prometheus, so a little apprehensive about going out to watch Covenant.