Tomytec Gimix 1:144 VF-1

CF18

I haven't build a Gerwalk yet, maybe latter tonight if the kids go bed early but I would suspect they are equally as poseable as the Battroid.

For Battroid mode

The head moves up and down, left and right.

The legs move at the hip forwards and back and out from the body to the sides. They also bend at the knees. The feet have some sideways movement.

The arms swivel at the wrists, bend and swivel at the elbow, swivel at the shoulders and move up at the shoulders as well.

I find it very easy to pose and because the joints are stiff it will hold the pose. Hope this helps.

I have the Vf-1A kit. The canopy is not frosted.

Awesome thanks

I built 2 fighters and 1 Batteloid today. The printing is amazing, the pieces fit very well together, about 90% of these kits snap together very tight, glue is not required but I glued most of the pieces together (except for parts that you swap to make Gerwalk mode). I ordered 3 VF-1A fighters, 1 VF-1J fighter, 1 VF-1S fighter, 2 VF-1A Batteloids and 1 VF-1J Batteloid.

I model N scale Japanese trains (1/150 scale) and didn't want to do Godzilla like most other Japanese train modelers....what says Japanese train layout more then Mecha all over it ;) If I had more money I would have picked up more VF-1A fighters for an airfield scene on the layout but I am lucky the wife didn't shoot me for the 7 Valkyrie I ordered.

Please post your photos we're eager to see the set

Are you buying the delta sets? Not sure I'm in

Thanks for review of battroid mode.

Edited by beatsing

I didn't plan on buying any of the Delta Valkyries and if I did it would probably only be one or two in plane mode. I would much rather have more VF-1As in plane mode. Here is a picture of what I have assembled so far. None of the canopies are installed yet and the Gerwalk is missing most of its detail parts. I am going to decal the fuel trucks with the decals provided in the Gerwalk set. The first plane took me about 3 hours to make, each one after that was less then 2 hours. The plane has way more parts then the other two modes.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, recently moved and I still never found my good camera.

IMG 1939

IMG 1938

Edited by Keiichi77

Thanks for the review, U N Spacy! I think I'll buy a couple of these fighters....maybe 1 A,J,and S. They are a little pricey, like you said, though. How are the extra decals, for optional squadrons, that came with it?

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Thanks for the review, U N Spacy! I think I'll buy a couple of these fighters....maybe 1 A,J,and S. They are a little pricey, like you said, though. How are the extra decals, for optional squadrons, that came with it?

Chris

Chris

Hi Chris,

There are NO additional decals.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope Tomytech doesn't stop on these versions.. I want the strike packs on Battroid and a GBP armor :D

I have been thinking on attaching the F-toys fighter's Strike packs to these...

Those bastards!! I only want the fighter mode...they know it.....so now I'm really tempted to get the stupid gerwalk kit just for those decals. The look awesome! I don't *think* those markings are preprinted, I think the squadron stuff are decals. Some of there other kits come with some decals to customize the plane....like the Yellow 13 kit.

Chris

These sparked my curiosity on other Macross 1/144 offerings hopefully Tomytec follows up with Strike/Super pack equipped VFs.

I have 2 Chara-Works models coming in the mail. And more to come as I scout them out on the webz.. They look really good with some panel wash.

Tailcode for the Sundowners but not Wolfpack?

Most likely they just copied the tail decals off some popular designs somewhere.

Otherwise you could use custom decals and put in a bit of work but it would really set your valk apart! B))

Those bastards!! I only want the fighter mode...they know it.....so now I'm really tempted to get the stupid gerwalk kit just for those decals. The look awesome! I don't *think* those markings are preprinted, I think the squadron stuff are decals. Some of there other kits come with some decals to customize the plane....like the Yellow 13 kit.

Chris

Well the markings on the fuselage are pre-printed, perhaps it stops at the nosecone stripe in this case for the shark mouth option.

i know how u feel, am contemplating if i shld get more fighters... <_<:rolleyes:

Edited by seti88

• 2 weeks later...

Does the gerwalk kit come with only the 2 boxes for airplane and robot mode? Are the parts for gerwalk in those boxes or is there another box? So if I buy the plane mode then later the battroid mode is it missing the gerwalk parts or do I have to but the gerwalk kit even if I have the plane mode? Thanks

Does the gerwalk kit come with only the 2 boxes for airplane and robot mode? Are the parts for gerwalk in those boxes or is there another box? So if I buy the plane mode then later the battroid mode is it missing the gerwalk parts or do I have to but the gerwalk kit even if I have the plane mode? Thanks

The 2 mode box has a fighter kit + a battroid kit + extra decals. The decals are only available with the 2 mode box.

The fighter kit and battroid are the same as if you bought the kit as a stand alone.

The fighter kit comes with a C plate that would form the gerwalk back + parts like kneecaps and some back gap closure parts.

However you would need the arms and legs from the battroid kit to finally form the gerwalk.

Edited by seti88

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got around to building the battroid and made a couple of minor mods for poseability. Lots of tiny parts on this kit made for a bit of a scary build around the ball joints. So I took the intake covers where the ball joint pops in and a thin round file and gave the kit a bit of a wider stance by widening the opening a bit. The other slight mod I did was in the upper chest piece where the cockpit attaches with the poly cap. I ended the inside edge just enough and now it allows for the battroid to do a slight tilt at that upper joint. Now the legs have just enough space to clear the wings so the in takes don't push the wings. The intake does still rub right up against the wing, so I'm gonna see if a bit more sanding at the upper chest helps, but it may need a slightly longer peg to fit in the poly cap.

Edited by Big s

A couple of questions..........

Do these require glue to build or can they just be snapped together without using any glue?

If you build the gerwalk mode, is it possible to latter disassemble it and rebuild it as fighter or battroid? Or are the parts too small and likely to break if you try to disassemble it once built?

They do require glue. The fighter has some extremely small fins toward the front that don't even have a peg and are very hard to see the angle for attachment. Most of the kit on both can be super glued, but some parts like the small fins or clear parts are better with styrene glue. The gerwalk can be disassembled, but I feel like it would be risky with some pegs being not much wider than a paper clip. I actually broke one of the ball joint pegs off the hip section during assembly, luckily ther are two sets with the battroid one for the stand and one without.

The best way to have all 3 modes would be two of each kit and have a battroid, gerwalk and fighter, but the cost would be almost $120.

I did however find that due to the size the battroid is easy to modify for better poseability with nothing more than a needle file.

Another thing was the missile attachment on the wings need to be glued in and I left mine off because I would never be satisfied with the alignment, I would just probably look at them weird every day wondering if I got it correct.

Edited by Big s

A couple of questions..........

Do these require glue to build or can they just be snapped together without using any glue?

If you build the gerwalk mode, is it possible to latter disassemble it and rebuild it as fighter or battroid? Or are the parts too small and likely to break if you try to disassemble it once built?

From my experience in building the VF-1A fighter, the only parts that needed glue was for

1. attaching the wheels to the landing gear

2. attaching the missiles to the pylons

3. attaching the pylons to the wing

4. attaching those teeny tiny antennae on the forward fuselage

Everything else was snap fit.

And superglue works way better. Normal modeling cement just doesn't have much effect.

The only place REALLY needed are for missiles/pylons and fins/antennas.

David,

Did you ever finish that Flanker? Just wondering what your thoughts on it were after completion.

Yes I did. It turned out well, asides from the intakes/gear doors. I ordered the Streak Eagle, and it just arrived yesterday. And I can already tell (as I expected) that its intakes fit much better. Flanker/Tomcat intakes and gear doors just never fit together well. They're almost identical. F-15 ones usually do.

I got these a few weeks ago but the arrival of my Arcadia Focker VF-1S last week kind of stole their thunder a bit.

post-31369-0-75084900-1473354763_thumb.jpg

I was impressed with Tomytec's F-22 Raptor so I figured I'd give these a whirl. I'm most likely going to replace the Chara Works VF-1A with the Tomytec Focker in my 1/144 lineup.

post-31369-0-20522500-1473355266_thumb.jpg

post-31369-0-24017400-1473355329_thumb.jpg

post-31369-0-24472100-1473355366_thumb.jpg

I still can't believe the amount of detail Tomytec cramps into these tiny kits.

Edited by Crossbones72