Macross Modelers

Tochiro

Duymon, I'm impressed you found all those models in Japan. I only saw Wave Destroids and a few Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1s while I was there in October.

I got super lucky. My Wife's hometown is in Gunma where there are still tons of old-school mom and pop hobby shops that are cramped and stacked to the ceiling with model kits. It was like being a kid all over again as I'd search each store for an hour.

I didn't care that everything was full retail price; anything to support the old-school model shops so that maybe one day if I had a kid they could experience the same awesomeness :D

Hasegawa makes it too damned easy to mass-buy their stuff. Considering each model kit is like 2000 yen and takes around 10-20 hours to build you can get 30-60 hours of enjoyment out of 3 kits, which is more than most mainstream videogames, and you get to enjoy a cool as hell valkyrie.

I think I'm done buying 1/72 VF-1's for now unless I somehow run across a stash of Sonicbirds. Those kits are absolutely evil, allowing you to mimic a navy squadron with both low-vis and high-vis CAG setups via the dual decal set.

10070209n2.jpg

Edited by Duymon

Freaken awesome artwork!

Really made my day when i saw it.

All the elements are there, minmay, the shop, SDF, roy, the missile barrage and of course the VF-1d!! B))B))B))B))B))

This may sell well just because of the box art!

Edited by seti88

Oh I tot it was under the 1/72 scale section, judging by the pacemat its sitting over...Are the stands perhaps swappable?

edit: My mistake, the 1/72 placemat is below in a seperate shelf...so looks like its a chogokin...

Edited by seti88

Is that confirmation of a 1/72 VF-171 model kit in the works? Also, what's the story behind that large-scale VF-31 prototype on the right there? (Second pic.)

EDIT:

Whoops, never mind. I'm guessing these are the non-scale/1/144-scale Mecha Collection kits.

Edited by kajnrig

I think I'm done buying 1/72 VF-1's for now unless I somehow run across a stash of Sonicbirds. Those kits are absolutely evil, allowing you to mimic a navy squadron with both low-vis and high-vis CAG setups via the dual decal set.

I just received my second Sonic Birds kit from an Amazon dealer in Japan. I paid more than retail, but I figure the free shipping evens things out. I love the decal set and am going to look at eventually using the extras on a Battroid kit, with the premise that it had come off the Prometheus and was involved in the street fighting on South Ataria Island. I may do the same thing with the decals that come in the Low Visibilty kit.

I wish I had more time to search for hobby shops during my last visit to Japan. I had about 3 hours to run around Akihabara, and that was about the extent of my "me time" away from the kids!

I love the decal set and am going to look at eventually using the extras on a Battroid kit

Would that be possible? I thought the proportions were different between the Hasegawa fighter/gerwalk/battroid kits?

...unless I'm wrong and this is a Bandai kit...

I'm sure not everything will line up properly with the Sonicbirds fighter decals on the Battroid kit, but since a lot of the markings are black, I could paint those on and use the yellow decal parts to trim the black areas. The markings on the sides of the nose section may have to be spliced to fit, as will the tail markings (on the parts that are visible when they're folded up on the back). I think it could work with a little bit of fiddling.

I will love hi-res images of the latest Hasegawa Macross box arts, most of them are just great.

1/48 VF-1 Strike Valkyrie

1/48 VF-1 Súper Valkyrie (Max /Miria)

Both 1/72 VF-25 Super

All the Gerwalk releases

Etc etc etc

I'm hoping for "Valkyries 3rd Sortie".

I got super lucky. My Wife's hometown is in Gunma where there are still tons of old-school mom and pop hobby shops that are cramped and stacked to the ceiling with model kits. It was like being a kid all over again as I'd search each store for an hour.

I didn't care that everything was full retail price; anything to support the old-school model shops so that maybe one day if I had a kid they could experience the same awesomeness :D

Hasegawa makes it too damned easy to mass-buy their stuff. Considering each model kit is like 2000 yen and takes around 10-20 hours to build you can get 30-60 hours of enjoyment out of 3 kits, which is more than most mainstream videogames, and you get to enjoy a cool as hell valkyrie.

10070209n2.jpg

Wish you hadnt told me that.... didnt know about the low viz version. Now I MUST have one

Hasegawa goodies as tweeted by tochiro!

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/715879387715866625

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/715879970887761921

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/715880578562699265

on a non macross note that old school saab looks good B)) hase is reissuing it...... B))B))

Hasegawa will be doing delta mecha kits too...woohoo (?) :D:p

Who is up for a destroid cheyyene kit!!! Cmon hase!! B)):lol:

Edited by seti88

Interesting, though I thought the 1/4000 Macross was already released?

Can we get a confirmation on the third tweet? Really, all Delta Valks AND other mecha? Because if this means a Cheyenne like seti88's suggesting... ooh, and a Regult, and maybe a Q-Rau? And--No. I can't. I can't let the hype consume me.

Edited by kajnrig

i know right? Hase has already set a ticking time bomb on my hype senses.... :p:p

It does look like Hase is giving bandai a run for its money, just not sure how hase deals with mecha since their strength is in fighters...

But am all in for the competition, let the best model win!

BTW if things stay as they are, hase has got a head start already thanks to tenjin sin-sei :p:p

Yeah, the Hase DYRL has been out for a while! Is this Ground Hog Day the movie :huh: ? Yes, the other stuff IS great news if true! My son wants a Cheyenne. - MT

Interesting, though I thought the 1/4000 Macross was already released?

Yeah, the Hase DYRL has been out for a while! Is this Ground Hog Day the movie :huh: ? Yes, the other stuff IS great news if true! My son wants a Cheyenne. - MT

Has the 1/4000 DYRL Storm attacker mode been out? It's just been revealed I thought (Post#13 by Jefuemon on page 1). I know the cruiser mode came out.

Edited by wmkjr

Has the 1/4000 DYRL Storm attacker mode been out? It's just been revealed I thought (Post#13 by Jefuemon on page 1). I know the cruiser mode came out.

Yes, this is the Storm Attack version, not the cruiser mode as previously released.

And, once again, I manage to grab an original Yellow Submarine garage kit of same subject and scale right before Hasegawa announces their release.

Good day, guys. I haven't bought any Macross toys in years, and I just started doing WWII plane models this year. Looking forward to building Macross kits in the near future. Any good kits in 1/72 to recommend?

just build the more recent Hasegawa models that you can relate to. Building is awesome but building something that you like makes it a lot better. Since you are a plane guy, ignore the 1/72 kits from bandai.