Macross Modelers

Tochiro

Looks like tonight's show was all about the 1/20 scale offerings from Max Factory.

post-12411-0-34719700-1457094996_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-10411700-1457094998_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-87664900-1457094999_thumb.jpg

Special thanks to Tochiro for the pics and info. I was at Zumba tonight, so I missed the showing.

The transforming Tomytec seems much more well thought out compared to Bandai's VF-100 series.

The VF-100's as static fighter models were epic in their detail, but craptastic to transform...

They should have saved their money and just sold pre-painted static fighter models of the VF-25 variants, but that wouldn't be Bandai then... :rolleyes:

I'm sure this has been said before, but I hope Hasegawa follows up with a VF-1D Battroid soon. Looking at the current Battroid kit, I think they just need one new parts sprue for the chest and back plates, plus the torso (nose) section.

Ah, yes - I always forget that the Hasegawa fighters don't just have a complete Battroid head underneath (probably because I haven't built one yet since rediscovering Macross). I'm sure that would have resulted in the head sticking out too far like on transformable models. The D model really only had half a head, in fact, to make room for the two-seater cockpit. Anyway, they should be able to produce a new sprue with the chest and back, torso, and head, similar to what they did with the fighter kit.

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

I'm sure this has been said before, but I hope Hasegawa follows up with a VF-1D Battroid soon. Looking at the current Battroid kit, I think they just need one new parts sprue for the chest and back plates, plus the torso (nose) section.

+ 1 on this. Really hoping for the 1D Battroid & the GPB armour. That would prettymuch finish Hasegawa's VF-1 line.

I suspect this will be an association that will allow all the stake holders to make products from other members' licenses and the profits will be collectively distributed. It would be an insulator against one company assuming all the risk to produce items for niche markets and collectors.

I suspect this will be an association that will allow all the stake holders to make products from other members' licenses and the profits will be collectively distributed. It would be an insulator against one company assuming all the risk to produce items for niche markets and collectors.

I highly doubt that the profits will be collectively distributed. No company would ever agree to such a term.

I believe this is a licensing strategy by Big West in which they spread out the license so that each company can get a piece of the pie but don't have to pay expensive licensing fees since what they can make is carefully defined.

+ 1 on this. Really hoping for the 1D Battroid & the GPB armour. That would prettymuch finish Hasegawa's VF-1 line.

I would love to see a quality 1/72 armored Valkyrie, but I'd be surprised if Hasegawa produced one. That seems like too extreme a departure from their normal line, unless they could make it as an add on accessory for the standard Battroid (which might be challenging). Since the fighter mode models fit into their aircraft theme, the other modes were a bit of a departure but still used some of the fighter design. The armor would seem like kind of a stretch beyond that (almost like if they started making Destroids). Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe Wave is a candidate for the armored Valkyrie (not sure what the licensing agreements are for 1/72 vs. 1/100 models).

In the meantime, I'd like to see them go back and offer more VF-1 schemes, like the Cavaliers, Alaska Base, and even an actual mass-production brown VF-1A, since they didn't really include that scheme in the fighter mode instructions. Not sure how popular the Angel Birds model was when they first produced it, but they could also offer the VF-1D fighter in that scheme (the instructions say that #6 is a reserve VF-1D, which fits with how the Thunderbirds have a two-seater F-16 on the team).

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

....even an actual mass-production brown VF-1A, since they didn't really include that scheme in the fighter mode instructions.

Especially if it was released with the SDFM VF-1A head.

I think you're right about the likelihood of the GPB-1. I just see Hasegawa's armoured VF-0 and get a little bit envious.

I completely forgot about the armored VF-0! I honestly haven't paid much attention to Zero models. I think that shoots a hole in my theory. That makes it seems quite possible that they'll do the GBP armor. I think they've taken a little break from SDFM / DYRL so they can produce the models from newer series, but hopefully the -1D Gerwalk is a sign that they're still going to produce more VF-1 models. I agree about the TV VF-1A head too, although I'm ok with using the movie version since it does look good. But it would definitely look more appropriate if modeling the Max, Kakizaki, or other TV schemes.

I think Hasegawa need to expand his 1/48 line. The VF-1 it's a great improvement over the 1/72. Shape is different, specially the legs, TV and movie versions of the cockpits, canopy and pilots (still no Miria figure :( ), but only 2 molds (VF-1 and YF-19) . I assume the 1/48 line its not very popular. I will love a VF-11B, YF-21 and VF-1 gerwalk in 1/48, battroid too obviously but I don't think Hasegawa will do a battroid kit again.

Edited by joscasle

I assume the 1/48 line its not very popular. I will love a VF-11B, YF-21 and VF-1 gerwalk in 1/48, battroid too obviously but I don't think Hasegawa will do a battroid kit again.

Why do you assume the 1/48 line is not very popular?

I think a 1/48 Battroid kit would be gangbusters!

1/20 is popular in Japan. I thought the same thing too at first, and then said, "oh yeah, forgot." Same thing with 1/60th scale. We're victims of different cultures ^_^ Then again, the different cultures are bringing us some GREAT models! - MT

1/20 is popular in Japan. I thought the same thing too at first, and then said, "oh yeah, forgot." Same thing with 1/60th scale. We're victims of different cultures ^_^ Then again, the different cultures are bringing us some GREAT models! - MT

I've never heard of 1/20 being a popular scale. What's in 1/20 scale? Perhaps you're confusing it with 1/24 scale?

Personally, I think it should be 1/18 scale to fit in with some of the pre-built aircraft model stuff out there or 1/12 scale to fit in with their own figma action figures line.

Machinen Krieger is mostly 1/20, Micro man posable figures, also a fair bit of Formula 1, and a huge number of gashapons and trading figures of various subjects are actually 1/20 ish.

Japan single handedly popularized 1/60, 1/100, 1/150 and a number of "odd" naval scales. Mechtech summed it up nicely. just because we don't see a lot of something in our respective parts of the world, doesn't mean it's not huge elsewhere

Why and how did people steer towards the standards we have today anyhow? 1/72, 1/48, 1/32, etc. I can understand 1/100 as simple base-100 scaling, and 1/144 seems like a natural downscale from an existing scale, but otherwise these seem like such arbitrary scales to settle on.

All of the scales DO drive me nuts! For example, I want to get a plane in 1/350th scale, but it is only available in 1/400th (big in France thanks to Heller). 1/400th is close, but TOO small! I HAVE the 1/20th Votoms kit, bought the 1/24th scale aluminum parts thinking they'd be close - NOPE! 1/20th is also a BIG car scale too in Japan. Yes, some standards would be nice like USB has become for computers versus all the other connectors that used to be used (hated that too). But variety is the spice of life I suppose." Just gets too spicy sometimes! B)) - MT

1/72 and 1/48 would seem odd from a metric mindset but is pretty natural from an imperial measurement perspective, ie. a certain fraction of an inch to represent a foot, or more simply, a small marking on the ruler to represent the entire ruler. just so happens different rulers are popular in different parts of the world

Dont forget all ground based military models are most common in 1/35... yet another scale!

Atleast in 1/35 we could add Battroids and Gerwalks and even parked or crashed Fighters to our displays with ground forces!

but no....

I've been having a nightmare time sourcing civilians in 1/72 - 20mm scale for mt city scenes to go with the Hasegawa and Wave kits. There is plenty of HO and OO scale train stuff but thats actually 1/87 and 1/76 scale!!! And NOOOOOO one makes 1/72 running, panicing and fleeing civilians! Not even Shapeways.

Edited by NZEOD

funny how 1/35, one of the most established scales, actually had a very arbitrary origin.

Tamiya decided to design a motorized Panther tank model as small as possible, but big enough to accommodate the motors and batteries.

after it was produced, they wanted to make other tanks in the same scale. and only then, went and measured a real-life Panther. turns out to be 1/35