Stencils

Galaxy_Stranger

you can buy stencilling mask vinyl from signwriter suppliers. The sheets can be cut on a vinyl cutter, spreyed over and removed fairly easily.

Are you mass producing, or just a one off? Depending on the curves, people have done all kinds of crazy stuff. NZEOD mentioned some great ideas. Some of the other things I've seen used are the sticky portion of sticky notes (small stencils only), regular putty for one off temporary masks on compound curves. For mass produced compound curved templates I've seen epoxy putty used. I'm guessing commercial masks aren't available for what you want? - MT

Well, what I'm going for is just a mask that I can re-use without destroying it, not necessarily mass-produce. Though, I'd love to be able to make many of them just so they're available to everyone.

The classic "US Air Force" star with the stripes would be a good example. You would have to make two or three passes to do that one - and that's a simple design. I started looking at thin Mylar last night. Maybe that's a start.

But I'm starting to think you begin with something thick and rigid - that you use as a template to cut detailing tape every time you want to spray. That sounds viable. And I'd do put up with it as often as I'd need to do it.

lol... I meant Autobot symbol.

I actually just used a transparent adhesive masking material. I think I got it from micromark. But I put shipping tape on top of the paper that I printed the pattern on so the paper won't stick to the masking film and tear. You just have to be really good with that exacto knife.

http://www.micromark.com/parafilm-m,7551.html

What thickness of plastic do you think would be needed to make templates of a stencil for permanent storage? I'm thinking you could do that just to have it, and then use the template to cut out whatever masking material you're going to use. So, hold it over Parafilm or masking tape to cut out the shape into the masking medium.

What thickness of plastic do you think would be needed to make templates of a stencil for permanent storage? I'm thinking you could do that just to have it, and then use the template to cut out whatever masking material you're going to use. So, hold it over Parafilm or masking tape to cut out the shape into the masking medium.

For my airbrush stencils, I usually use 0.3 mm mylar if I'm going to keep it around. For one offs, I'll generally use whatever I have laying around - usually frisket, liquid latex, paper, silly putty, or some combination of them.

I'm looking at the parafilm and it looks too flimsy to me. I say just get some transparent vinyl if you're going to cut it by hand yourself. That was just me looking thru what I had at the time to finish a custom.

Yeah, I remember that job EXO, it came out great! - MT

Thanks!

Yeah, some regular plastic sheets should do nicely. I'll go to Hobby Blobby and see what they've got if I can't dig up something around the house. As a matter of fact, I might be able to practice on this F-14 I've got. I didn't notice it was a snap-tite, so the quality is deplorable and it came with STICKERS! I bet I can make reusable stencils out of the stickers.