Need help with 1/100 Scale Missile Phalanx / painting

A3M

Well,

I'm totally a noob on this, but willing to learn and improve! :ph34r: I started to purchase Macross toys around half year a go most-likely all the 1/100 (I don't have much money for the other models -_- )

Here is my question, I need to know where to get the paint and also the tools to paint them (such a brush and pistol paint sizes types :wacko: etc) can someone please refer me a web site where to purchase them or a link or any source of information related to the paint job on these models. (because :p i don't even know what levels of red blue etc should i use)

I also have 2 1/100 Scale Attack Tomahawk and 1 and 1 1/100 Tactical Pod Glug besides the Macross Armored Factory.

I really want to do a good job on them and will post the progress here.

Thank You in advance.

If you have a local hobby shop, you should go there first and get to know the staff. They will hopefully be nice and helpful. If you don't have access to a local hobby shop, Hobby Lobby is a national chain and depending on which store you go to, most have a decent selection of model making supplies. If you need online stores, I prefer Hobbylinc.com or Mega Hobby.

Take some time and look through the workbench thread here, lots of good guys around here and LOTS of talent.

Edited by derex3592

Well the first thing you need to understand is the difference between the different kinds of paint that are available for painting models. Mainly you want to stick to acrylic and enamel paint. Some people swear by acrylic and others like enamels. I stick with Tamiya acrylics and Testors Model Master for enamels. If you look around on Google you can easily find paint charts for each brand of paint. There's really no 100% accurate painting guide for Macross kits, that's kind of the fun of them. We try things until we get something we like and go with it.

I really like using airbrushes for things with large surface areas - like vehicles. That gives me a nice, smooth, professional finish. Then I use nice and small art brushes for the fine detail and touch-ups and I pick a brush that I only use for dry brushing, which isn't often on vehicles but I use CONSTANTLY on miniatures.

Paint is also a gigantic pet peeve of mine because of the price. I don't like acrylics for most applications and they're too expensive for the volume, as are enamels. But you can get around that by finding paint brands that aren't specifically marketed toward model building. For example, I found some Rustoleum black and white enamels that are super cheap in comparison to traditional brands. Acrylics are generally easier to get your hands on as well, and tend to be easier to work with in terms of mess and giving you headaches.

Enamels will take a beating better over time as the model is handled, but they're a little harder to get, a little more expensive, take longer to dry and cure and people don't like the fumes. Lacquer paints are another beast entirely and you'll probably want to avoid them until you're comfortable with the other stuff.

Tamiya has acrylics and lacquers, Testors has enamels and acrylics and most other brands have just acrylics. Some other popular ones are Vallejo, Badger, Citadel - (bleeeeeh!), and Gunze.