Hasegawa announces a TV SDF-1 and a Super Messiah!

cool8or

I don't know. I get it. I know some customization tricks and have used them to great effect on some toys and models as well. But these days I just don't have the time. So seeing something I've been waiting for for a very long time and knowing I'll need to spend a lot of time "fixing" it is a real bummer.

But it's definitely not hate.

Unfortunately, Hasegawa is bound by the same issue that plagues all Macross products not endorsed by Harmony Gold. They choose cut corners because the SDF-1 mold cannot be reused in the same way a VF-1 (or other Valkyrie) can. You're going to have to beg Toynami or Pallidium to do something, because the TV SDF-1 is simply not popular enough in Japan to warrant Hasegawa making the expense.

post-1819-0-14079200-1442222734_thumb.jpg

Or, you could wait for Megahouse to release their Cosmo Fleet Special completed model. They do a number of Yamato 2199 and Gundam ships in this style, so maybe that will be to your liking.

This is a limited edition Japan only kit. You think they would've gone further if they had international licensing rights to sell a new mold around the world, instead of just for sale on a few islands in the Pacific? Limited edition essentially means that they know some peoold want this design, but they won't make tons of money over high unit sales. In fact, it is the same price as the regular version.

Maybe the company with the international merchandising rights could market their own mold around the world, or commission one with Hasegawa or something...

Edited by HannouHeiki

I am not in favor of Hasegawa for any reason, but I think it was clear from the announcement that this new version of the SDF-1 would be based on the version of the film, so we knew that this kit will have problems.

Now, I thought Hasegawa would make further changes to the original model, it was clear that the legs were not going to be changed (I can live with that), but I think the main cannon and the middle part could be easily modified by the inclusion of 8 new pieces.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10308073z/70/1

They already change 4 of those 8, why not change all?

This may be part of the reason why it's a Limited Edition. If it was a permanent offering, they would've probably invested more in the modifications.

I'm sure this is something they would consider doing if the market (and market size$ justified it.

Yep. The Limited Edition of this release, plus the fact that we have not seen a new tool TV SDF-1 in 30-odd years, makes me think that we aren't likely to get anything else for quite some time (if ever).

Not gonna pass this up.

Every day I feel less enthusiast about this SDF-1. I really like to have both SDF-1 versions in the same scale, but as somebody said few posts ago, we make model kits because we worry about details and accuracy, and obviously this kit doesn't comply with that expectations.

So it's looks like we have few options to get an decent replica of DYRL SDF-1:

• Wait Hasegawa see this stupidy mistake and re-create this model as the way it must be = impossible dream
  • Wait a correction set from our dear Captain = oh yeah, please, please !
  • An new model from another company = impossible dream ? Who knows ?
  • Do-your-self improviment, using your skills to fit this garbage = nah, i'm fine, i pass and can wait John's correction set.

Wherever option you have, one thing is clear. This's not the model we are looking for ! Great dissapointed with you, Hasegawa, bad kid, bad, bad kid ! Go to your room without dinner. And the Wi-Fi is off to you from the rest of the year !

I think this time I won't go with the imperfections of this SDF-1 TV version. Just cancelled the order from this item. However, I'll go with two Vf-25 super !!!. Thank you very much all of you for the feedbacks.

I think a completely stand alone kit was mentioned not a correction set.

Well, Gabe G, we need to wait until John's next step, i'm not sure about what he wanna do, i prefer a correction set, even with this model being a limited edition, i feel it have the potential to sell a lot of sets.

But a completelly new version from John could be amazing ! Any clue about the future, Captain ?

And here I am considering preordering another one!! :blink:

But I'll wait. I'll wait to see what's on the trees. If the TV-version conversion parts are added in to the full Movie-version kit, then I'll pop for a second.

What I want most are some extra parts in the hopes of bashing together a third version.

Edited by Thom

I'll Check it out. Customizing doesn't sound INCREDIBLY Daunting. I'd really like if they did it right.. but really.. Macross product is so hard to get.. I'm glad to get anything. Still have not managed to pre-order anything Hi-Metal R.

Model Kits, requiring a lot of work, are at least able to be preordered.

Is there REALLY an issue with the rights to TV Macross IN JAPAN? Thread to look at?

There's already a thread over at the Toys section. ;)

Thanks for pointing out.

BTW, there are 2 SDF-1s at the Hasegawa booth at All Japan Model and Hobby Show yesterday.

One of them were modified by a famous Japanese plamodeller, DorobouHige and decorative illumination was equiped in it.

I will edit the videos I shot. It shows its small lights are blinking.There are some pics uploaded on the Net, but those do not show the gimmick.

Please look forward to it.

Edited by antibiotictab

From Bandai Hobby Show.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There's already a thread over at the Toys section. ;)

Does that image of the SDF-1 that says 10/20 mean the hasegawa kit is coming out on Oct. 20?

I'm trying to decide when to hit 'send' on my HLJ Private Warehouse. 10/20 is a couple weeks after i need to ship.