Hasegawa announces a TV SDF-1 and a Super Messiah!

cool8or

I caved too. AmiAmi has it up as well but I decided to go with HLJ due to their better shipping rates.

I'm waiting for it to go up on Amazon. Free shipping!

Hasegawa made my day!!

2015chara.jpg

This brochure is named "Hasegawa News Radar," and distributed every month, IIRC.
And this issue has its sub-title, saying "Hobby Show Special."
You know, "All Japan Model and Hobby Show" will be held from Sep the 25th to 27th at Tokyo Big Sight.
Its prototype model or something like that may probably be exhibited there.
You had better looking forward to the news of the first day of the exhibit.

The description says it's based on the DYRL version with "the essence of the TV version"?!? Are we gonna get a DYRL version with a TV paint guide? Getting the Daedalus and Prometheus will be nice but it won't be anywhere near accurate. Nearly every aspect of the two versions have differences.

Below is someone's observations from the SSM forums:

Among the changes listed:

• Change of leg position and addition of a main nozzle cover
  • New bow, shoulder, and bridge
  • Bridge is split into left and right parts, and is bigger
  • Naval carriers (duh)

There are a few details in Tenjin's illustration that do appear to be vestiges of the movie-version design, like about 50% of the main gun appears to be DYRL parts, and of course the legs are almost entirely DYRL-style as well...

The nature of this release probably also means the scale is wrong. TV-version Macross is skinnier with a proportionately longer bow, but both versions of the ship are supposed to be 1210m long. They've apparently handled this by using the same parts but (apparently) adding a bit of length to the new bow, meaning this kit is larger than 1/4000; which is why the bridge parts are bigger as well...

For me, I am mostly getting this kit for the Daedalus and Prometheus parts

Edited by Model-Junkie

I hope that means it'll have extra parts, rather than switching out sprues. I'd love to have another set of ARMD carriers.

And who else thinks that it is looong past time for a Macross 7/Frontier in 1/4000..?

Which is also a pretty close scale to the new BSG models... Hmmm...

Edited by Thom

Hasegawa has a good reputation for accuracy, so I'm hoping they live up to it with this. They pulled off the fighters really well with only minor issues here and there so I hope that translates over to the SDF-1. Hopefully the items changed list is just to let customers know of the major changes; that we're just not buying a DYRL version with ships stuck on it. A full list of changes could get lengthy.

Don't panic yet, it's too early! - MT

Hasegawa has a good reputation for accuracy, so I'm hoping they live up to it with this. They pulled off the fighters really well with only minor issues here and there so I hope that translates over to the SDF-1. Hopefully the items changed list is just to let customers know of the major changes; that we're just not buying a DYRL version with ships stuck on it. A full list of changes could get lengthy.

Don't panic yet, it's too early! - MT

This. Hasegawa has done stellar work up to now, so they have the benefit of my doubt. And if it should happen that they would get it not quite right, then that's when I come in B))

I hope that means it'll have extra parts, rather than switching out sprues. I'd love to have another set of ARMD carriers.

And who else thinks that it is looong past time for a Macross 7/Frontier in 1/4000..?

Which is also a pretty close scale to the new BSG models... Hmmm...

Yes, this is much closer to the scale of my AMT Star Destroyer. I like consistency. But the math on 1/5000 scale was so easy!

As for the parts, I've been looking at the pictures on Hobby Search. (I guess I should be working)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10308073z8/70/8#

I'm guessing this was planned from the beginning, based on which pieces are lumped together on sprues. I'm guessing that they'll keep sprues A-F, then give us new ones for the TV bits. I'm sure they'll leave out the ARMDs.

Based on this, below is the box art, highlighted with the areas I believe to be new.

I'd love it if we got a new A sprue with longer booms, but now I'm not too sure.

post-2681-0-72313100-1440776784_thumb.jpg

Hasegawa SDF-1 TV Version

Scale ... 1: 4000
Part number ... 65 830
Availability ... October 20, 2015
Body price ... 5600 yen (+ consumption tax)
The number of parts ... 219
Model full-length ... 308.5mm
Model full width ... 137mm
Series ... Macross

Hasegawa SDF-1 DYRL Version

Scale ... 1: 4000
Part ... MC05
Availability ... February 17, 2015 (on sale)
Body price ... 5600 yen (+ consumption tax)
The number of parts ... 245
Model full-length ... 303mm
Model full width ... 144mm
Series ... Macross

Noting the dimensions, there are noticeable differences in size, particularly the width of the SDF-1 TV version. We must take into account that the Prometheus and Daedalus are in different position than the ARMD, which makes me think that the legs have a different position to the DYRL version, or different parts.

What appears is that even with the position of Prometheus and Deadalus, the TV version is narrower than DYRL version, which would be correct.

Edited by joscasle

Dat commentary...

"Destroyed Monster". Or as the HLJ page puts it, "Destroyed version of the Monster."

Looking at it more, I'm thinking that's just a bad machine translation of "Destroid" Monster.

Looking at it more, I'm thinking that's just a bad machine translation of "Destroid" Monster.

Of course it is, but HLJ doesn't actually post straight machine translations and has a human checking them over, which is why the language sounds natural. Whoever they had doing it for this kit though is apparently not the greatest Macross fan, or he completely missed looking at the original text. Oh well, crap happens. :)

And I agree with Thom - we *need* a New Macross carrier in the same scale. The only New Macross model I've seen in any scale was a limited run resin kit that was more of a size with gaming miniatures, and there's an opportunity to make five distinct versions with only minor retooling. And at least two or three of them would sell big. :)

It's interesting to me that, although these two kits are both 1:4000, the bridge-head-thing is quite a bit smaller in the movie version. This surprises me, since I always think that the command area looks huge in the film's opening shot (a really well done scene IMO). I don't recall any similar perspective of the interior ever shown in the TV show.

post-6299-0-52195000-1441376362.jpg post-6299-0-77131000-1441376372.jpg