Official 0A fin color

Mommar

So I know there are some of you here who are extremely knowledgeable about the production of the anime and the background to a lot of the details, etc... who aren't necessarily toy fans. Right now we're having a debate about "correct" colors on the 0A, as the Arcadia 0A currently has dark blue tail fins, plus a bit of a patch on the back of the calf and some little bits of the backpack in Gerwalk/Battroid. Some people are furious and say it's wrong and should be grey, but when watching the anime there are scenes where it looks grey and others where it's blue. Do any of you guys know anything about what the color is supposed to be?

LOL. the debate rages on. I would also like to know if there is anything out there that shows this specifically. I know that they used CG for VF-0, but is there any concept art or finalized art that is hand drawn or anything that can be used for reference. When I look at the Hasagawa box art I do see a blue/grey shade used, but there is some sort of lighting effect present.

Well, I'm just looking for Renato or Seto or Tochiro or one of those guys who has access to a lot more info and who can understand Japanese to inform us what is going on. A few people like Kyp just lost their minds and I'm pretty sure Arcadia isn't purposely attempting to piss him off solely. They got that data from somewhere.

Well, I'm just looking for Renato or Seto or Tochiro or one of those guys who has access to a lot more info and who can understand Japanese to inform us what is going on. A few people like Kyp just lost their minds and I'm pretty sure Arcadia isn't purposely attempting to piss him off solely. They got that data from somewhere.

Hey now, I thought everyone knew you had to say my name 3 times... like Beetlejuice.

On consultation of Macross Chronicle, which has color line art of the VF-0A on Macross Zero mechanic sheet UN 02A, the center of the stabilizers are supposed to be the same mid-gray as the body... with the control surfaces the same light gray as the wing's control surfaces.

EDIT: It's a "cool" gray... so there's a tiny amount of blue tone to it, but not enough to make it actually look blue.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

post-2536-0-04625300-1439683337_thumb.png

Based on this screen capture, the center of the tail is supposed to be the same color as the center fuselage... there's a blue tinge to the entire scene, but it looks like Macross Chronicle's coloring is right on.

attachicon.gifvlcsnap-2015-08-15-20h02m01s489.png

Based on this screen capture, the center of the tail is supposed to be the same color as the center fuselage... there's a blue tinge to the entire scene, but it looks like Macross Chronicle's coloring is right on.

We have a whole boatload of screens from the anime. And sometimes that tail fin is BLUE. davidwhangchoi noted it appears the color of the tailfin changes between blue and grey depending on whether or not the background scene is blue or grey.

I was just wondering if there's more to the coloring of the valk than we know, like some background info from one of the books, or a story somebody from the production told, or anything else. It could be animation errors, etc... but nobody knows. The Arcadia toy is coming with a rather blue fin, I'm not personally fussed about, but a few people are LIVID. I just want to get some background.

Edited by Mommar

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. The stabilizers on the legs. Maybe I wasn't clear?

Okay, yeah... I was definitely on the wrong tack there. I thought you meant the dorsal stabilizers.

The colored line art for Macross Chronicle on the aforementioned sheet shows that the ventral stabilizers are definitely two-tone... the body's white/light gray color and the same dark "cool gray" as the feet.

OK, I'm here, but I still don't know what on Earth you guys are talking about and/or why people are "livid". :mellow:

What blue fin? :wacko:

Oh, and don't redirect me to the Toy forum, because there's no way I'm trawling through all those angry posts or *I* will "lose my mind".

Edited by Renato

Uhm, after this got settled, are we going to start talking why Arcadia colored the reissue Fire Valk with 'yellow gold'? :lol:

But to be honest, I'm not bothered with the release of Arcadia's VF-0A and changing the colors if it's not cannon. But I'm curious too on what's the correct color on those leg fins, backpack areas, and the back of the calf like Mommar states on the first post. ;)

This is what the toy looks like. Note the stabilizers on the bottom part of the legs. There's also a patch on the back of the thigh (not pictured) and the little bits of plastic around the backpack boosters in that blue color as well.

Totally serious, in the show the color of those fins change a lot and what they've gone with here is... puzzling, to say the least.

FIGURE-011500_12.jpg

I'd hope not! And this whole thread is rather silly... If you don't like the toy's colors, learn to paint. It's easy. And fun!

Just FYI, the people in the toy thread are... touchy, to say the least. They prefer Bandai Valks because of enormous amounts of horrible, oversized, blurry obnoxious tampo versus cutting out their own properly sized decals (which they decry as being stickers because only water transfers are decals...) and customizing the valk to look as classy or obnoxious as they like. A few do repainting/weathering... most of them just cry about the color and cost.

Edited by Mommar

This is what the toy looks like. Note the stabilizers on the bottom part of the legs. There's also a patch on the back of the thigh (not pictured) and the little bits of plastic around the backpack boosters in that blue color as well.

Totally serious, in the show the color of those fins change a lot and what they've gone with here is... puzzling, to say the least.

Yeah, all I can tell ya is that in Macross Chronicle there's no blue on that airframe... it's all light and dark grays. I kinda like the blue though, breaks up the monochrome feel a bit.

Just FYI, the people in the toy thread are... touchy, to say the least. They prefer Bandai Valks because of enormous amounts of horrible, oversized, blurry obnoxious tampo versus cutting out their own properly sized decals (which they decry as being stickers because only water transfers are decals...) and customizing the valk to look as classy or obnoxious as they like. A few do repainting/weathering... most of them just cry about the color and cost.

You mean there's an area of the forums where people don't talk about the toys? :p

Seriously though, folks care a lot about a toy that costs $300 plus and are entitled to wonder why some design choices are made. And to be fair "the people over here" who don't venture into the toy section, care just as much, if not more, about tiny nuances of the back story, history, and main story of the Macross-verse. We've got threads that are far more in-depth regarding "how stuff works" for fictitious stories and mecha than I have often had the time or pleasure of reading.

We're a passionate lot and I think that's a good thing and I'm happy to be here amongst so many diverse but common interest folks.

Edited by mickyg

Seriously though, folks care a lot about a toy that costs $300 plus and are entitled to wonder why some design choices are made.

I'm sorry, but anyone outside of the Japanese market is not entitled to anything regarding Macross toys. It's something we have to deal with, but it hasn't changed in the time since the very first Macross Zero toys came out.

post-1819-0-36286300-1439776921_thumb.jpg

Plus, they've already announced the mass-produced type version (and the Shin type is clearly all ready to go out the door), so I think it's best to move on now.

Sometimes you just have to take a step back and remember that it is the person that controls the hobby, and not the other way around.

I agree completely, Veef. I'd also ad that it's great we have access to this stuff at all, being outside Japan. But I did say they're entitled to wonder. That's like an opinion on the subject. Sure we're entitled to it, even if it's not correct.

In this case, I'm merely pointing out that people are questioning why the decision was made. Turns out it might have been made because it is correct. Wouldn't that be funny?

Just for the record, I don't mind the blue anymore. There are enough arguments for it being accurate that it's not an issued to me, personally. It's not like they changed the gray to orange or something. It's a low-viz scheme, with some pretty muted color accents that looks an awful lot like what we saw in the anime it's based on.

Just to clarify the issue I have highlighted the blue color on the Arcadia toy in this image:

post-18307-0-92603400-1440088268_thumb.png

My idea is that as with the color for the VF-19 Kai, the VF-0D and the VF-0A Kawamori or Tenjin supervised the color pallet and I can imagine that Tenjin also created the textures for the VF-0A (correct me if I'm wrong). So I assume that the VF-0A looks the way it suppose to.

I really like the blue highlights. Than again I think that Lucas RVF-25 has the best paint job of all the Messiahs. ^_^

FIGURE-011500_12.jpg

You make me laugh mate😄

Thanks, I'm one of those too..