Jump to content

Making some of the lesser known vehicles from SDFM


SpacePirateNeko

Which Macross Model would you have interest in  

28 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Model and Scale would you have an interest in?

    • Ambulance 1/72
    • Ambulance 1/48
    • BoomLift 1/72
    • BoomLift 1/48
    • GNXM3002 1/72
    • GNXM3002 1/48
    • M299 1/72
    • M299 1/48
      0


Recommended Posts

Ok so my current order of things for the next few months will be..

Petite Cola - this ones ready, i should have the prototype by mid next week

Macross Captains Chair - also ready and will have a prototype soon after the Petite Cola

Stair truck - I will start next week

Whatever wins this vote - looks to be 1/72 ambulance at this point but depending how the first 3 items go i may jump to the stargoose instead

Ok. So how are things going?

I'd love to see pics of what you have so far😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...

Hey guys sorry for the long delay..had to get some freelance in to survive.

Initial plan was to make molds with the 3d printer but after using it once i realized i could never use that thing in a place so small ( almost keeled over)

I will likely start putting things up on shapeways soon....im working on the first thing now.. should be ready soon..its something a little different...and def hasnt been done before. If that goes well i will look into making the stargoose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys sorry for the long delay..had to get some freelance in to survive.

Initial plan was to make molds with the 3d printer but after using it once i realized i could never use that thing in a place so small ( almost keeled over)

I will likely start putting things up on shapeways soon....im working on the first thing now.. should be ready soon..its something a little different...and def hasnt been done before. If that goes well i will look into making the stargoose

YES, Stargoose !!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know a better solution then Shapeways? I put a test run of the Petite Cola machine up on Shapeways but it either isnt high enough detail or the price gets too high because i have to make it larger scale. The only other solution i can think of is to clean sweep the buttons off of the panel and leave those flat to be painted on.

Zpz4zdo.png

Edited by SpacePirateNeko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There really isn't a finer option than Shapeways commercially. Their ultra-detail is about as good as it gets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This one may work better since there is no small surface details. Hopefully i can get the arm to look ok in shapeways. Not gonna put anything up on shapeways that doesnt come out really nice.

LLvzWGJ.png

If you go with fud from shapeways, make sure to use strong/reinforced structures, because this material can easily snap.

For instance, for the arm and the antenna, I would have used metallic bars: 0,6-0,8mm steel bars and brass/copper for larger ones. With detailing end bits 3D printed if necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really thinking a boomlift for a diorama I'm planning...

yeah... having an irate Tech standing on the boom arguing with a Destroid pilot standing on the shoulder of his machine would be cool!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

The tech at shapeways just doesnt seem to be there yet...seems unless i made these things huge you just are not going to get the surface fidelity and it would have to be large and pricey. So 1/48 and 1/72 are out of the question and i dont think anyone wants to pay 200 dollars for a 1/12 petite cola machine. Ill have to wait until the tech is in order.

Edited by SpacePirateNeko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That doesn't sound right. I have 1/72nd scale sized figures printed from Shapeways and all the detail was in them. They also have 1/350th armored valks slightly larger than a quarter up on their store. - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

So now that im in a different place...its time to revive this. I picked up an elegoo saturn 2...ive been making prints.  Id like to make things the big guys wont touch....rare valks...maybe down the line when i have time. However smaller things...ground vehicles etc...Tell me what you would like to see. Dont be afraid to really obscure...seriously..petite cola machines...the holographic  arcade table..etc...but really id like to make some obscure vehicles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

Tell me what you would like to see.

This has always been my favorite image of the Destroid Tomahawk in Macross:

Tomahawkdamaged.jpg.b6db0032b1e8e87b5303354500c3b5da.jpg

The mayor's limousine, known as a "Red Imperial 99," is driven by Lynn Kaifun in ep.31. 

RedImperial99.jpg.4cab9efdff6482535c9ded5c1baaffb2.jpg

It's the crux of a dramatic and memorable scene between Minmay and Hikaru.

Minmaygetsaway.jpg.29a7367b34aa7f26223a81ce060263d7.jpg

It's a very stylish, futuristic luxury automobile.

redimperial99-lineart.gif

redimperial99.gif

@captain america is currently developing a 1:48 Tomahawk as a resin kit, and a 1:48 Red Imperial 99 would complement it very well, I should think. :good:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, tekering said:

This has always been my favorite image of the Destroid Tomahawk in Macross:

Tomahawkdamaged.jpg.b6db0032b1e8e87b5303354500c3b5da.jpg

The mayor's limousine, known as a "Red Imperial 99," is driven by Lynn Kaifun in ep.31. 

RedImperial99.jpg.4cab9efdff6482535c9ded5c1baaffb2.jpg

It's the crux of a dramatic and memorable scene between Minmay and Hikaru.

Minmaygetsaway.jpg.29a7367b34aa7f26223a81ce060263d7.jpg

It's a very stylish, futuristic luxury automobile.

redimperial99-lineart.gif

redimperial99.gif

@captain america is currently developing a 1:48 Tomahawk as a resin kit, and a 1:48 Red Imperial 99 would complement it very well, I should think. :good:

That's a good one!

Heck , any of the ground vehicles also previously proposed would be good. @SpacePirateNeko start pumping some out !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the suggestions...not sure of distribution method yet or pricing. I might use gambody or shapeways although id rather not have prints floating around...i wish i could create a dedicated shop going forward but shipping from japan really isnt going to be worth it for customers. Anyway ill figure that out after i get a few of these printed out. Today i blocked out 5 of the first 10¬† initial models. Ill reveal them as i add detail and they near completion..with work..it may take awhile. I actually might have an obscure valk or two¬† in there as well¬†ūüėČ. ¬†

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpacePirateNeko said:

Thanks for all the suggestions...not sure of distribution method yet or pricing. I might use gambody or shapeways although id rather not have prints floating around...i wish i could create a dedicated shop going forward but shipping from japan really isnt going to be worth it for customers. Anyway ill figure that out after i get a few of these printed out. Today i blocked out 5 of the first 10¬† initial models. Ill reveal them as i add detail and they near completion..with work..it may take awhile. I actually might have an obscure valk or two¬† in there as well¬†ūüėČ. ¬†

You're getting my hopes up !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First up will be a  Petite Cola machine, depending on distribution method  it will likely be in 1/12, and 1/6 scale. There is some work to be done and im adding some extra details. I will be doing a test print in 1/12 scale this weekend. This is a brand new orginal mesh unrelated to the old one..sticking more closely to the original concept.

Edited by SpacePirateNeko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Printed out two versions of the petite cola machine...they had some minor issues but it allowed me to see what needs to be imporved upon for printing. The final build will have two versions...a whole version for small prints and a and a parted version for large...up to 1/1   theoretically since i built it at full scale. More soon

Edited by SpacePirateNeko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Successful Print ( although i forgot to print out the cans, ill do that next weekend)  but the new tooling came out nice so i will move forward with putting this up. So now i have to figure the best distribution method. I think i will make a new thread for it to see what the interest is for it. If it does decently i can move ahead with some of the other models which are more complicated. Everything i make will be  equal to hasegawa level tooling in detail. I want to focus on 1/72 scale although i would like to do some 1/48 since hasegawa wont make anything but vf1 and vf19. Id also like to make some extremely detailed cockpits for the existing 1/48 as well as some addition parts, interior engine cutaways etc.

 

Theres two additional pieces for this kit ( besides the cans) They are window parts to cover the cans and the marquee however i dont have clear resin so i didnt waste resin on them. 

 

7tlLqoFh.jpgKuZyHI3h.jpg6S6aPH0h.jpg

Pieces just layed on top, nothing glued in which is why some parts are at angles

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A "sort of" vehicle.  Has anyone ever taken a swipe at the Macross-2 Minmay Attack Hologram Platform?  Does it have a formal designation? I'm looking to kitbash it with plastic bowls and some mixed media, but the sketches of it and the screenshots I've grabbed are a bit rough to plan with.  The comic was indeed comical, not even close. 

Any ideas on source image files?

mac2 comic - minmay holo platform.webp

Macross-II Minmay Attack Hologram platform screenshot 3.jpg

Macross-II Minmay Attack Hologram platform screenshot 1.jpg

Macross-II Minmay Attack Hologram Platform - line sketch 1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2023 at 8:33 PM, SpacePirateNeko said:

Everything i make will be  equal to hasegawa level tooling in detail. I want to focus on 1/72 scale although i would like to do some 1/48 since hasegawa wont make anything but vf1 and vf19.

 

Great news !

The Cola machine looks great ūüĎćūüŹľ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 12:02 PM, djivaldi7 said:

A "sort of" vehicle.  Has anyone ever taken a swipe at the Macross-2 Minmay Attack Hologram Platform?  Does it have a formal designation? I'm looking to kitbash it with plastic bowls and some mixed media, but the sketches of it and the screenshots I've grabbed are a bit rough to plan with.  The comic was indeed comical, not even close. 

Any ideas on source image files?

mac2 comic - minmay holo platform.webp

Macross-II Minmay Attack Hologram platform screenshot 3.jpg

Macross-II Minmay Attack Hologram platform screenshot 1.jpg

Macross-II Minmay Attack Hologram Platform - line sketch 1.jpg

Interesting though i already have a lineup of ten or so in the pipeline...bit hard to tell whats going on in the concept. maybe ill do some m2 models someday.

On 6/14/2023 at 5:53 AM, Ranger565 said:

1/72 scale accurate Destroid pilot.  I am willing to pay commission on this. However if I pay to have it made. I want the files :) 

No personal commissions, however i may make what you want in the future regardless. That being said im not really much of a character artist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2023 at 7:54 PM, Thom said:

Check @arbit, as he does a lot of figures.

I would be happy to. Please visit my Patreon. Fyi I will need cockpit sizing.

Edited by arbit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...