Megahouse TV Ver. SDF-1

wmkjr

On 1/28/2017 at 3:31 PM, jvmacross said:

Looks like this is finally out in the wild.....

ant14060m-img600x450-1485573248jnfkxd589

ant14060m-img600x450-1485573249pafb2u589

Yours JVM? Take it out from the box! Let the SDF-1 breath some air! Pronto! :lol: 

On 1/29/2017 at 5:08 AM, derex3592 said:

Really wish they'd do the Zentradi capital ships

For this size, I'm in! ;)

Despite the antennae driving me nuts on my normal version, I'm still on the hunt for a midnight version. Anyone come across a good place to grab one. Otherwise ti's back to stalking Mandarake and I'm afraid the competition there may be fierce.

13 hours ago, jenius said:

Despite the antennae driving me nuts on my normal version, I'm still on the hunt for a midnight version. Anyone come across a good place to grab one. Otherwise ti's back to stalking Mandarake and I'm afraid the competition there may be fierce.

Speaking of, I almost broke one off putting it in!  Pretty weak plastic :/

Haven't been on this forum in ages, but just found out that this thing exists.  If you already own the wave, and that's the relative scale you want, is the megahouse better or worse?  One of the things that I always disliked about the wave is that by using diecast for the feet that it really makes the cruiser mode unstable as there's no pegging or locking mechanism really holding the front together while gravity pulls the back of the ship downwards and with it the cohesion of the front of the ship.  On mine in particular the leg ratchets aren't perfect on the one side which really makes the left side vs right side ship alignment look off when the thing does manage to stick together.  I had to invent a brace for the stand to support and balance the leg/rear-thruster weight so that the front of the cruiser mode could look relatively gapless.

Anyway, does this have the same problem of holding together in cruiser mode?  Are there diecast parts and does the diecast work against it staying together?  How's the overall build quality of the megahouse vs the wave?  The partsforming stuff doesn't bother me much as long as each mode looks right.  I like the wave, but always thought the cruiser mode engineering was lacking.

I can't directly comment on the wave, cause I don't have it. But I do have the Megahouse. I'm not sure about scale but the following is a mostly level, side by side shot of the high metal R VF-1J. So it's longer but I'd still consider it "small" as a toy. 

IMG_20170203_145701.thumb.jpg.8f9beb989ee61bd668034f21706b62eb.jpg

There's no die-cast as far as I'm aware, so no weight issues to speak of. But, that doesn't mean there aren't any alignment issues with the "legs" in cruiser mode. 

Here's an example:

IMG_20170203_145616.thumb.jpg.93b56850c88679a65d1052dd0889fb0d.jpg

That left engine is aligned with the grid on my screen for the phone's camera.  It's also aligned with the top of the frame in your browser, so compare that to the right engine.  You should see a slight "twist" for lack of a better term, on the right one.

This isn't due to weight.  It's purely how the leg is attached to the body and unfortunately, I haven't found a way to get it properly aligned.  Other than that, I think this is a pretty impressive little toy/model.

Edited by mickyg

Here's a pic that might help:

MegaHouse-SDF-1-6C.jpg

I'm working on my review now. Apples and oranges with the WAVE since it has metal and is perfect transformation. Obviously the MegaHouse does better in the gaps department. I think saying "it's a good little model" is a pretty good description. Not a very good toy but a good little prebuilt model that has some nice toy-like aspects.

Edited by jenius

23 hours ago, jenius said:

Here's a pic that might help:

MegaHouse-SDF-1-6C.jpg

I'm working on my review now. Apples and oranges with the WAVE since it has metal and is perfect transformation. Obviously the MegaHouse does better in the gaps department. I think saying "it's a good little model" is a pretty good description. Not a very good toy but a good little prebuilt model that has some nice toy-like aspects.

Ahh, the Takatoku.  I actually ebayed one of those off in anticipation of the Wave.  I have good memories of that figure despite its partsforming and age.  But wow that's a great picture comparison of the wave vs the megahouse from above.  The megahouse is hitting the cruiser mode in a way I prefer over the wave.  Less gaps, more, compact.  Plus I've always been partial to the tv series ship arms.

Thanks for the info, guys.  The megahouse is definitely on my want list now.

On February 3, 2017 at 11:32 AM, derex3592 said:

It's really not a bad toy considering it is the ONLY modern representation of the TV SDF-1.  It took me a while to warm up to the look, but it does make a nice display piece in both modes. 

All they had to do wad not make the legs stubby and shorten/fatten the carriers and it would have been a perfect rendition as well.  My holy grail is still a 1/3000 PT TV version even if I do own two of these.

• 2 weeks later...