no more yamato 1/48 yellowish

CHAVAKAISER

Hmmmm.... most dishwasher detergents use bleach in them. Vanish looks like it contains hydrogen peroxide as opposed to bleach; somewhere b/w 5-15%. Standard antiseptic hydrogen peroxide is around 3% ... so you may be able to use it and water and get the same affect. I wonder if you could make a paste with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (and a little vinegar) and if it would work since people use it for teeth whitening.

Edited by jodokast

Wow the final result is really great! Congratulations! Would you be so kind to tell me what is the main ingredient of "Vanish"? I live in Italy and i doubt i will find that exact brand of soap. So i will have to look for something similar which has a similar composition. My max 1/48 vf-1a would be really grateful to you!

Hola CHAVAKAISER, dime como hacerlo, pues tengo varios 1/48 que se me están amarillentando. a lo que he entendido los sumerges por 5 días en vanish, ¿lo combinas con agua, que medidas aprox.? y otra pregunta: ¿no se descoloran los otros colores?

Great results but wouldn't any chemical application physically attack the plastic and accelerate the degradation process a bit quicker than normal?

Most plastics, even in toys have some kind of preservative added which this stuff would eat away. On the surface at least. I did some work many years ago in a plastics and resin injection molding factory and remember them adding something into the mix..

This is like deja vu all over again. I thought this made your toys re yellow at a super fast rate. Maybe the ingredients are different?

I think that's why EXO and Loop gave a little bit of warning on using these products. Before continuing the process to your VF-1J, try to check first on the first Valk you cleaned and see if any discoloration or any degrading will happen after a week, a month, or a year. Just to be on the safe side. Since this process has been done by the other members before. Just a precaution. ;)

I think that's why EXO and Loop gave a little bit of warning on using these products. Before continuing the process to your VF-1J, try to check first on the first Valk you cleaned and see if any discoloration or any degrading will happen after a week, a month, or a year. Just to be on the safe side. Since this process has been done by the other members before. Just a precaution. ;)

Mmm ok bro but!!

Nothing lasts forever! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm ok bro but!!

Nothing lasts forever! ;)

Yeah, nothing lasts forever but I have my Takatoku 1/300 SDF-1 still white after 35 years. I think it will stay white before I die. The whitening treatment only lasts for another year or less if not keeping the toy in a dark temp controlled room.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A long time ago I decided I was going to enjoy my 1/48 Valk. Yellowing be damned. I've had it on display in my Detolf for years. I did make a point of placing my case in a corner away from direct sunlight. Still over time I have recently started to see some yellowing. I think I'm going to do this treatment and retire it back into its box and keep it in my closet. I think I'll just place some more common toys in my case from now on. I've sort had a change of heart regarding displaying my favorite toys.

Hydrogen Peroxide works, but you need to use a sealant to "lock-in" the new found whiteness, else the effect will be temporary. The peroxide causes minute cavities and this means a larger surface area, and the net result is faster and angrier yellowing if no sealant is used. Exposed diecast and metals would have a reaction to the peroxide too.