• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Uh-Oh. <_<

"The lead actor, Alden Ehrenreich, can’t act, and they had a dialogue coach on hand for all of his scenes. On top of that, the script is unworkable. It’s going to be a car crash."

:lol: 

I seriously doubt that Ron Howard would have taken on a project with an "unworkable" script.  This sounds like someone trying to drum up drama for attention.

Not saying the movie is good or bad, have to wait to see it for that but RH hasn't made a stinker yet.  (Uh oh, looking through his films it seems he directed that Jim Carrey Grinch movie...)

Sounds like they may be trying to tone down expectations for this movie after the backlash TLJ got for everything it did and didn't do. Course none of that matters if they don't start marketing the movie soon, at this rate Solo will just pop up in theaters one day and disappear the next (maybe that's what Disney wants).

2 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I remember when Wonder Woman was seeing similar stories before its release but the film turned out great and made a bank at the box office. However WW had trailers almost a year before its release so...

Honestly I'm more excited about a Obi-Wan film, especially if they cast Ewan McGregor.

I can't fathom what an Obi-Wan movie would be about but Ewan McGregor is always fun to watch.  Then again, so is Mark Hamil...

While I don't trust them to make a good movie about it, I can actually imagine there's a decently fitting story somewhere in there where Obi-Wan shows up hoping to train Luke around age 10, but Owen won't have any of it.  Probably more of a short story or comic run, and less of a feature length movie though.

Unless there was a lot going on in the background for Obi-Wan to be involved in, they really don't have a plot.  It's a literal bottle episode setup, since all the loose ends were tied up at the end of RotS, and though there's an 18-ish year gap in there, everything would have to end exactly as it started for ANH to mesh.

On the other hand, if they could manage some decent casting and writing, I could almost see some sort of series set during that time.  Not specifically about Luke or Obi-Wan, but set in the larger region encompassing Mos Eisley, and any other settlements around the area.  Would be a good chance to do some world building, in a spot fairly isolated from the rest of the continuity. 

On the other other hand though.. the way my mind works, all I can come up with are copies of existing shows, set in that area.  Not that CSI: Mos Eisley, or Chalmun's wouldn't be amusing to see, but I can't see them working seriously. 

There was a book that came out just before the Disney purge of the EU titled “Kenobi” that takes place shortly after Obi-wan arrived on Tatooine. It is one of my favorite books. It described  how Obi-wan, now calling himself Ben, struggled with anonymity while still wanting to be a Jedi and helping help the Galaxy and it’s people but getting caught up in a conflict between a settlement and corrupt landowners and also Tuskin Raiders. It was a great story and made me really feel for Obi-wan. His pain in failing and loosing Anakin and the loss of the Jedi as a whole, while still having his cause in protecting Luke and the hope that he(Luke) will right the failures of himself and the Jedi. This was all when Luke was still a baby. Lots more could happen over the next 17-18 years too that could include Luke and the Lars’ in someway. They just need to get a competent writer, which has not been Disney’s strong suit with these movies thus far.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

20 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I remember when Wonder Woman was seeing similar stories before its release but the film turned out great and made a bank at the box office. However WW had trailers almost a year before its release so...

Honestly I'm more excited about a Obi-Wan film, especially if they cast Ewan McGregor.

I'd be down for an Obi Wan movie as well.  

It'd be kind of cool if they incorporated that one scene from Rebels with Ezra and Maul somewhere in the film.

On 1/24/2018 at 11:36 AM, no3Ljm said:

Really? They did? How come I didn't like The Last Jedi but did enjoyed all of their Marvel movies? :lol: 

TLJ's dialogue IMHO was too much like a Marvel film. Especially when Poe was taunting Hux, sounds exactly like something you'd hear Tony Stark say to Lokie.

Edited by TangledThorns

The thing with Poe is that is consistent with his character. Now that he's been severely humbled they have set him up for a little less wise cracking. Basically, the droids are the OT comic relief and other trilogies have struggled with that recipe. TPM tried JarJar. I will take juvenile Poe over JarJar.

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

TLJ's dialogue IMHO was too much like a Marvel film. Especially when Poe was taunting Hux, sounds exactly like something you'd hear Tony Stark say to Lokie.

Yes that first scene between them (the first scene of the movie) was just so off.  Just so modern in the humor.  Like it was unused dialog from any of last year's Marvel films.  There's always humor in Star Wars but it never takes you out of the universe - okay maybe the Diner scene from Episode II did that.  To be fair that wasn't the first scene of the movie. 

3 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Yes that first scene between them (the first scene of the movie) was just so off.  Just so modern in the humor.  Like it was unused dialog from any of last year's Marvel films.  There's always humor in Star Wars but it never takes you out of the universe - okay maybe the Diner scene from Episode II did that.  To be fair that wasn't the first scene of the movie. 

You kidding? Every galaxy has a diner :)

I wonder if they used the Falcon film set from TLJ in Solo, build a whole new set or if the new one will be CGI only?

Film set from TLJ

1423568_a2855dcaae900ca61cbfeccb8485f8c8

1423570_86a3ae8ff1c515fea5e618f31ba5ab35

1423575_2b16a78c516229c5d7888d00765d538b

1423576_7fbf4c7818e467e1a006a0cc9bf5873b

1423579_5ae7d5c61fa2ad359989c47093bc442a

1423582_ebefa924562894d5ce5b6cb5ab21efa4

1423587_a370552fb05d4ebc1ef226236b3b4ffc

1423590_2f1e5a9c2b5347670309348b3f40444f

1423595_1fad1c34b4d4b0e5f8d2000fbb86144a

1423600_e33ec5b402a9ad608c84438e18dee1d8

1423605_0ebb1ef9bbda2b3b9cbf8fcb2a9b19ac

1423608_9f0c5e87896419c40c368fab02e71be5

1423612_c0ab1afee08b2b2fac13125d02625a4d

1423614_ba2a5d995b8f60b91311ad7e49c8779c

1423617_25a5f5270723b4805953619a12092850

Anyone know if this is the same prop from TFA or a whole new set?

Edited by peter

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Has anyone started a pool on what new style of sensor dish the Falcon will be sporting in the next movie?

Considering all the other changes in everything, I'm expecting to see some sort of goofy enclosure dome, or some kind of MAESA array. :lol: 

Pics are out if you don't mind spoilers.  Google Lego Falcon and it should give you a pretty good idea of what the Falcon is going to look like.

3 hours ago, peter said:

Pics are out if you don't mind spoilers.  Google Lego Falcon and it should give you a pretty good idea of what the Falcon is going to look like.

Oh, I meant for episode IX actually, since they lost the squared-off dish in TLJ. :lol: 

The new one.. meh.  Interesting design lineage, but you could have made it look "new" without rebuilding half of the framework.  Supposedly that line of freighters is very modular, so it might make sense, but I'm not holding my breath.

On 1/29/2018 at 4:47 PM, derex3592 said:

AWESOME PICS!!! How did the person in the hoddy get them??? Did they sneak onto the set or something on a day the crew had off?

Apparently the guy snuck on to the film set. 

Lol, Ninja Level = Expert.

Anyway, it is nice seeing the thing up close and in detail.  I guess the guys building the studio prop replicas might have fun scrutinizing the difference between the life size set versus the scale model.

Makes me wonder if the guys building the 1/1 scale Falcon are getting any help from the studios in their fan project.  Seems like Disney’s building their own 1/1 scale for their new resort, and now there’s this one for the films.  Will this one end up getting scrapped and left for dead like the one from ANH or will it be preserved?  Auctioned off?  Or has it already been heavily modified for the Solo film?