NOIR

areaseven

noirdvd.jpgtv-14.gif

NOIR (ノワール)

Bee Train/TV Tokyo/Victor Entertainment, 2001

ADV Films, 2003; Funimation Entertainment, 2011

Directed by Koichi Mashimo (Irresponsible Captain Tylor, .hack://SIGN).

Rated TV-14 for violence and strong language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0eyrE1oXc&hd=1

Cast (Japanese)

Houko Kuwashima (Sango in Inu-Yasha, Kagura in Azumanga Daioh) as Kirika Yumura

Kotono Mitsuishi (Excel Saga, Misato in Neon Genesis Evangelion) as Mireille Bouquet

Aya Hisakawa (Haruka in RahXephon, Skuld in Ah! My Goddess) as Chloe

Tarako as Altena.

Cast (English)

Monica Rial (Hyatt in Excel Saga, Haruka in RahXephon) as Kirika Yumura

Shelly Calene-Black (Cleao in Orphen) as Mireille Bouquet

Synopsis

Mireille Bouquet, a beautiful and deadly assassin, has been invited to meet up with Kirika Yumura, a girl with no knowledge of her past. She's been hired to help Kirika find out the truth about who she is. However, due to her nature as an assassin, Mireille must kill her after fulfilling this dangerous mission. Together, they become the assassin duo codenamed "NOIR".

Story: A

Ah, spy thrillers. After being hooked on Read Or Die, I checked out the first episode of NOIR that came with Newtype USA issue #3. Only one episode I've seen so far, and I already love this series. It's got the feel of European thrillers directed by Luc Besson (La Femme Nikita, Leon (The Professional)) and Hong Kong action flicks directed by John Woo (The Killer, A Better Tomorrow).

Animation: A+

Big props to Bee Train (.hack://SIGN, Arc the Lad) for the awesome artwork and the groovy opening sequence. Character designs by Minako Shiba (.hack://SIGN), Satoko Miyachi and Yoko Kikuchi (.hack//Tasogare no Udewa Densetsu, Agent Aika). Mechanical designs by Kenji Teraoka (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, Ah! My Goddess: The Movie).

Soundtrack: A+

Yuki Kajiura (.hack://SIGN) supplies an outstanding new age/techno score that almost rivals anything done by Yoko Kanno. The opening theme, "Coppelia's no Hitsugi" by ALI Project, mixes perfectly with the animation.

Sub vs. Dub

ADV's English dub is okayl just not spectacular.

DVD Extras

Review coming soon.

The Bottom Line

Sexy, stylish and seductive, NOIR is the best spy thriller anime since Read Or Die.

Links

Funimation Entertainment's Official NOIR Homepage

ADV Films' Official NOIR Homepage

Victor Entertainment's Official NOIR Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Remember this when everyone dies in the series no blood comes flying out. I'll let you guys watch NOIR its really good. Hey areaseven did you see the first episode? It has my fav kill, the necktie kill by Kirika.

• 7 years later...

No major surprise here, but Starz has green-lit a live-action TV adaptation of NOIR, with Sam Raimi (like nobody here knows who he is...), Rob Tapert (The Evil Dead series) and Stephen Lightfoot (Criminal Justice) as executive producers. I was hoping for it to be French and produced by Luc Besson, though.

Live-Action NOIR TV Series Green-Lit

Edited by areaseven

No major surprise here, but Starz has green-lit a live-action TV adaptation of NOIR, with Sam Raimi (like nobody here knows who he is...), Rob Tapert (The Evil Dead series) and Stephen Lightfoot (Criminal Justice) as executive producers. I was hoping for it to be French and produced by Luc Besson, though.

agree, Besson would've been perfect for this. i've been hankering for my next fix of NOIR for nearly a decade now. i thought MADLAX would do it, but not quite. strangely KARA NO KYOUKAI sated me a bit even though it was a different genre. heard about CANAAN and REQUIEM for PHANTOM but i'm wary of being disappointed again.

How did the Anime end it has been a long time since I watched it and I don't think I actually watched the last episode?

they basically turned on Athena and broke out of the mansion and warned the syndicate to leave them be or they'll come back knocking. in that way, kinda like the Bourne trilogy

Wow, for a minute there I thought '7 was out of material to review lol. Yeah I never finished this series either-I watched it up to volume 3 or something. Personally, after seeing Salt and that sort of thing I need to take a break from the gun battling babe themes for a while...

agree, Besson would've been perfect for this. i've been hankering for my next fix of NOIR for nearly a decade now. i thought MADLAX would do it, but not quite. strangely KARA NO KYOUKAI sated me a bit even though it was a different genre. heard about CANAAN and REQUIEM for PHANTOM but i'm wary of being disappointed again.

they basically turned on Athena and broke out of the mansion and warned the syndicate to leave them be or they'll come back knocking. in that way, kinda like the Bourne trilogy

If I remember correctly as they fade away into the night, gunshots are heard as it cuts to the pocket watch...

If I remember correctly as they fade away into the night, gunshots are heard as it cuts to the pocket watch...

i don't recall that. but that's as good an excuse as any to re-watch ^_^

what are your thoughts on what that last scene suggests?

Edited by Major Focker

i don't recall that. but that's as good an excuse as any to re-watch ^_^

what are your thoughts on what that last scene suggests?

Personally I'm not sure what it means but heres a list.

1.the sound effect was added jus as an exclamation point on the series

2.Mirelle made true her promise of killing kirika after their journey ended and avenging her family

3.The Les soldats had them killed with snipers

Edited by renegadeleader1