Game of Thrones Theory Discussion. Books. Show. Spoilers.

The last episode was great but damn every scene had a predictable outcome :unsure:

I wasn't expecting Roose to die this past weekend. I also thought the first try at resurrecting Jon wouldn't work. Not sure if we talked about it on here or not (I guess I could have looked), but I had started to buy into the idea that Mel would fail at bringing him back, and when they went to burn his body he'd rise out of the flames. And Tyrion with the dragons was just a flat out great scene.

I wasn't expecting Roose to die this past weekend. I also thought the first try at resurrecting Jon wouldn't work. Not sure if we talked about it on here or not (I guess I could have looked), but I had started to buy into the idea that Mel would fail at bringing him back, and when they went to burn his body he'd rise out of the flames. And Tyrion with the dragons was just a flat out great scene.

I think that would have given too much away right now if that's the route they decide to take though.

There still isn't confirmation that he is Rhaegar's son.

What I like is that Jon is freed from his oath now. He gave his life for the Night's Watch. ;)

Roose's death was a bit of a surprise; I actually expected it to be the other way around. I mean, he should have seen it coming from a mile away. It's not like he doesn't know the kind of person Ramsay is.

I think there is some foreshadowing in what Roose said about Ramsey not having taken on the enemy in a battlefield.

In the books Beric Dondarrion breathes his life into Catelyn to resurrect her in his place. The Manderly's were with Roose at Winterfell and plotting against him, but had already sent Davos off to search for Rickon.

Excluding the warg aspect from the show has watered down Arya's test and (possibly) Jon's resurrection. Also looks like they will backtrack book 5 with the Kingsmoot as I suspect they may not have enough info from book 6 yet. Good to see Bran and Hodor at least.

And couldn't they have found a more attractive Lyanna? Wouldn't you expect her to be absolutely stunning..?

Yeah, felt like a bit of a rant... :rolleyes:

Moved last week and only got internet yesterday to catch up with GoT. Loved the return to see the Greyjoys and seeing Cersei slowly building up steam to what will be her inevitable maelstrom of vengeance.

I did not see the death of Roose Bolton coming. Ramsay is going to completely lose his compass after this.

Kind of an underwhelming episode. Felt like it was just kicking the can down the road.

Tower of Joy fight was great, but the tease was frustrating.

Edit: to paraphrase someone on Twitter: wtf is going on with the Umbers?

Edited by Duke Togo

"A girl has no name"

And a pretty boring story...

She started off promising. The young, strong willed daughter who was more interested in learning how to fight than to be a lady. Escapes villains tracking her with the help of various father figures/mentors. Then settles to learn the way of the boring Ninjas with no face, no name and no emotions.

That entire episode went no where.

Very boring episode. As Duke said just kicking the can down the road. I had a feeling they were going to stretch out the Tower of Joy "revelation". When I saw the preview after last weeks episode I thought we'd finally get some answers but then I started thinking "who am I kidding" they gave us Jon back pretty quickly they won't give us the other thing so soon too. I got to say, the Northerners are starting to really piss me off too! Are any of them descent or are the all backstabbing shits? Jon just needs to get a Dragon and to paraphrase Hicks "Kill 'em all, Nuke the whole place from orbit" "it's the only way to be sure"

Chris

Well, half of House Umber does side with the Boltons in the books. Things are kind of a mess in Last Hearth with the Greatjon being held captive in the Riverlands. The explanation in the show is just lacking, and boils down to "I like killing Wildlings."

Well, half of House Umber does side with the Boltons in the books. Things are kind of a mess in Last Hearth with the Greatjon being held captive in the Riverlands. The explanation in the show is just lacking, and boils down to "I like killing Wildlings."

Yeah, Greatjon being prisoner ties the Umbers a bit.

The books also had the Manderly's who are playing their game but have never forgotten.

I agree that most of the recent episode was pretty meh. No real progression except for Jon Snow. Tower of Joy? We got cut off. I was not, not happy at all with the capture of Rickon Stark and Osha, the death of Shaggydog, because that is another thing completely opposite from the books. Hell, them offing Doran Martell earlier without going into his machinations and subtle game was disappointing as hell.

Edited by Warmaker

We don't know it's the opposite of the books, War. Rickon is said to be on Skagos, and the Skagosi have no love for the Starks (or anyone else from the mainland, for that matter). Chances are at some point Rickon's fortunes end with him in a similar position. The same goes for the Martell's.

Keep in mind that they're essentially trying to squeeze upwards of 2300 pages into season 6. And I think those of us who are book readers can agree that while their execution has not been flawless, GRRM's narrative was in need of some serious trimming.

While I too felt the episode was rather meh for GoT standards, seeing Alistair Thorne exiting the series was rather pleasing. And seeing the Sword of the Morning in action was a treat.

What is it that Arya is going to do? What role will she play? Will she make it back to Westeros and carry out her revenge even though she swears she has given up that life?

The fight choreography for the Tower of Joy was great, no flashy wasted moves. Though, was it actually the sword of the Morning? Wasn't it supposed to literally be other worldly and have a faint glow or something?

Chris

The Jon and Sansa hug has got to be the moment of the season so far. The pack survives. Tears, man, tears. Also, the North remembers.

Who else wanted Drogon to come rip the top off of the building to light the Khals up? I suspect that's what'll happen in the book, because it's already been established that Dany isn't fire-proof; she just took advantage of blood magic back in book 1.

The Jon and Sansa hug has got to be the moment of the season so far. The pack survives. Tears, man, tears. Also, the North remembers.

Who else wanted Drogon to come rip the top off of the building to light the Khals up? I suspect that's what'll happen in the book, because it's already been established that Dany isn't fire-proof; she just took advantage of blood magic back in book 1.

I was expecting Daenerys' dragon to come in all the sudden and start killing (and eating) them. However, it was interesting how she just went about and got the Dothraki to support her by filling them with awe, right in front of their eyes.

Regarding the "fire proof" thing, Daenerys had shown that side even in the beginning. Heat, fire did not bother bother her, long before that priestess entered the picture.

It'll be interesting to see how things unfold. King's Landing will become a mess. Little Finger moves to help Sansa (I was happy to see one of my favorite characters again, as scummy as he is). The Wildlings support Jon Snow and Sansa Stark.

A nice conversation at the beginning was between now Lord Commander Tollett and Jon Snow. Jon Snow has to take care of matters but Tollett wants Snow's help, knowing full well what danger looms north of the Wall.

Edit: Melisandre dodged Ser Davos' question on what happened after he left for Castle Black, what happened with Shireen. Sooner or later he's going to find out and it's not going to be pleasant.

Edited by Warmaker

So Daenerys killed all of the the Kahls without using a weapon, and has thus by rights become the 'grand Kahleesi' herself and united them..? That's how I interpreted it.

And Ramsey forgot to demand the return of his Reek!?

Yeah, great F-ing episode! Loved the beginning with the reunion. It was funny too because as it was happening I said to my wife how Sansa was the 1 sibling that really didn't seem to like Jon, she was her mothers daughter, and then literally when I finished saying that Sansa said it too and apologized to Jon. :) it's one of those rare moments when a Show/movie acknowledges something that I see. :D

Loved what they are doing with Danaerys too. She didn't just get a Kalesar....she got ALL the Kalesars!! Also for the second time in the episode the show did it right by me because I was commenting to my wife on how SHE may be fire proof but why aren't her clothes burning...ala Iron Man 3. Then BAM, she emerges from the flames nude. Fantastic scene. I also loved Dario's expression like..."Holy crap...it's true" he was in awe. He heard the stories, probably thought they where imbelished or whatever....but when she came out of the flames I think that was the first time he TRUELY felt Danaerys was his Queen.

Anyone else get a kick out of Tormond staring at Brianne at the table, like I did. I really like Tormond.

Chris

So how much time is suppose to be taking place between the seasons? In real time the show's been on for 6 years. Events during the show seem to be at a slower pace. All the child actors are now all adults. How big is the world? Everything seems like a half a days ride from every where.

What was the point of Rob Thomas stabbing that girl in the neck? Last saw her a year ago. Totally forgot about her. The act doesn't add anything to his character that we didn't already know.

I wonder if it will come up in small talk between Jon and Brienna that she basically has Ned Starks sword.

But would they be able to tell? It is my understanding that the Stark sword (huge one) was melted down and they made a couple of different swords out of that, one given to the king and one to Jaime. Did Jaime tell Brienne about the origin of the sword?

A couple of tearful reunions between siblings. Jon and Sansa meeting up was great to see considering all she's been through.

Littlefinger is a SOB, but he's one I enjoy every time he's on screen unlike Ramsay who's just repulsive. When Ramsay dies (inevitable now considering he's gonna get hit from both sides and the Knights of the Vale are a very competent lot I believe) the celebration on Twitter will eclipse that of Joffrey's demise.

But Littlefinger shouldn't yet know that Sansa has escaped or that Roose is dead.

Jon and Sansa don't need an army to take down the Boltons, they just need a good assassin and House Bolton will crumble without an heir. I hear Arya will soon be available... ;)

Speaking of swords, if Brienne really killed Stannis, wouldn't she have taken 'Lightbringer'?

And yeah, I'd like to see Tormund try to run off with Brienne over his shoulder. :D

But Littlefinger shouldn't yet know that Sansa has escaped or that Roose is dead.

Jon and Sansa don't need an army to take down the Boltons, they just need a good assassin and House Bolton will crumble without an heir. I hear Arya will soon be available... ;)

Speaking of swords, if Brienne really killed Stannis, wouldn't she have taken 'Lightbringer'?

And yeah, I'd like to see Tormund try to run off with Brienne over his shoulder. :D

No, they'll need an army--and they'll get one. Becsuse season 6 trailers.

Also, Stannis's "Lightbringer" was nothing more than an ordinary sword. He wasn't Azor Ahai. The thing wasn't even Valyrian steel.

No, they'll need an army--and they'll get one. Becsuse season 6 trailers.

Also, Stannis's "Lightbringer" was nothing more than an ordinary sword. He wasn't Azor Ahai. The thing wasn't even Valyrian steel.

Cool, although I avoid trailers for spoilers.

I don't think Lightbringer was even mentioned in the TV series (could well be wrong), but in the book it was a 'magical' sword, but not the genuine Lightbringer.

I'm just spit-balling most of the time. And I probably think about GoT way too much, like who is really behind the waif's or Jaqen H'ghar's face...

Cool, although I avoid trailers for spoilers.

I don't think Lightbringer was even mentioned in the TV series (could well be wrong), but in the book it was a 'magical' sword, but not the genuine Lightbringer.

I'm just spit-balling most of the time. And I probably think about GoT way too much, like who is really behind the waif's or Jaqen H'ghar's face...

Not even really magical in the book, though. I'm a bit rusty here, but can someone else confirm my memory that Mel wasn't all that sold on Stannis behind Azor Ahai, and she was helping him along with her bag of tricks?

Stunned. Wrecked. Crying. That was episode 5 for me. I'm going to put this in spoiler tags because we appear to be the only active GoT thread on this forum, and book readers are in the same boat with the show watchers now. 24 hour spoiler tags is probably not a bad idea for the benefit of both camps.

What can be said about Hodor? Truly the most heartbreaking thing I've seen on this show, and probably the most gut-wrenching thing I've ever seen on TV ever. You hope he somehow gets away, but you know he doesn't (and the scene wouldn't mean as much if he did). I flat out cried.

As for the direwolves, it's now pretty safe to say their names have a direct connection to the story. Like Bran's wolf, Summer is definitely over, and the winds of Winter are soon to come blasting down upon the Seven Kingdoms. Sansa's loss of Lady is now painfully obvious. Robb was literally the Grey Wind that hit with such a tremendous force, but had no staying power. Shaggydog was wild like his owner, and never had the chance to grow and become one of the pack. So, what are we left with? A reborn Jon is his own sort of Ghost, and while he is a part of the group, he clearly stands out as being different. And then there is Nymeria, the warrior queen, wandering the Riverlands with her pack. What does this foretell for Arya? "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives." Arya must come back to the pack.

I'm also now convinced that Bran is the famous Bran the Builder. He can clearly impact the past, and he fits into that mythical character's narrative perfectly. It makes total sense.

Oh, and a hearty "nice job, jackass" to the Children of the Forest. I hope you are proud of what you've done.

Edit: Also

Hell yeah, the Blackfish is back! And the Manderlys are coming!

Edited by Duke Togo