That's quite hardcore to rank all the episodes of the entire series thus far. Not sure I'd do the same. I mean, one of the great things about Game of Thrones as a series is so many of the episodes have great moments, amazing visuals, and memorable dialog. Sometimes these things happen in weaker episodes, but the moments or individual scenes might be some of the series best. Or based on seasons too, like how this 5th season is being considered by many to be one of the weaker seasons, yet had an episode which is one of the best of the entire series to date. I think that's far more worth praising than going through the minutiae of each and ever episode relative to another, but that's just me.

As with any internet lists, it has to be taken with a grain of salt. There's a lot of episodes that I would have never put in the top 20. I do agree on where some of the episodes ended up. Most of my top ones would have to have Tywinn in it.

I think my favorite episodes are the ones that have great dramatic collisions, which happen with all sorts of characters and not necessarily my favorite characters. Sometimes ones you least expect. I think one of my favorite moments of the whole series - and it wasn't even a big moment - was when Lancel tries to intimidate Littel Finger and Petyr just has none of it. I think the sequence has so much gravitas because of the weight of who Baelish is and what he can do, yet almost no one has any clue. Or one of my favorite sequences is still from season one between Jaimie and Eddard in the throne room, talking about the death of Ned's father, brother and Jaimie's killing of the Mad King Aerys. Again, it was the implications of what they talked about, that was totally lost on a narrow-minded man like Eddard. The failure of honorable men, the incredibly impossible choice Jaimie had to make and how remarkable that he made the right choice, the pathetic, misguided shame put upon him for that choice...just so good.

I also adore good dialog, so often times I'll be so impressed with an episode because it has a piece of dialog that is just so memorable. Sometimes one of the shows best pieces of dialog or most memorable quotes will appear in episodes that might not be so great overall.

On a different point, the 4th season blu-ray set has an amazing "making of" feature for the battle at the wall. They go through all the aspects of the sequence, from special effects, to stunts, to sword fighting training to that amazing 360 degree shot in the middle of the battle at Castle Black. It's an incredible feature and I highly recommend watching it. So much fun to see how they achieved the giants and mammoths.

Jon Snow will wield Longclaw again! I'm not gonna stop believing :D

....yeah he'll make a V2.0 come back with over 30 points of articulation...the witch is on it right now.

Some guy keeps posting this image on FB and I know people kept posting this image on this site...

post-151-0-74180000-1436846604_thumb.jpg

But after checking out the artist's portfolio page I found these...

post-151-0-09256600-1436846646_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-60964500-1436846647_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-40350900-1436846648_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool... here's the corresponding shots from the show.

post-151-0-85844300-1436846754_thumb.pngpost-151-0-83928100-1436846741_thumb.pngpost-151-0-23035200-1436846748_thumb.png

Some guy keeps posting this image on FB and I know people kept posting this image on this site...

attachicon.gifsdf-1_003_hi.jpg

But after checking out the artist's portfolio page I found these...

attachicon.gifemmanuel-shiu-stanis-fight.jpgattachicon.gifemmanuel-shiu-stanis-camp-2.jpgattachicon.gifemmanuel-shiu-stanis-camp.jpg

Pretty cool... here's the corresponding shots from the show.

attachicon.gifstanis ride.PNGattachicon.gifstanis camp 2.PNGattachicon.gifstanis camp 1.PNG

middle picture 2nd row....looks like a millenium falcon. lol. just squint hard enough and you'll see it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So Martin wrote 5 books many have called the anti-LotR for its genre redefining qualities and audiences enthusiastically watched through 5 seasons of a critically acclaimed TV series adaptation of Game of Thrones just to get to the a point in both stories where we have a Hobbit facing off against a Dragon ;) :p :D

Joking aside, this of course looks brilliant! I'm still fully on board with this series. I've enjoyed every season. I think at this point even if the ending of all this is a big disappointment, I wouldn't even care. This series is filled with so many strong characters, so many stellar scenes, so much clever dialog, so many memorable images that I often return to it just for the sheer pleasure of the filmmaking craft, acting and writing on display. I'll be as disappointed as anyone else by a weak finale, but I think this show has made a mark on me that I won't forget for the rest of my life. It's been one helluva ride and I hope it continues. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not ashamed to admit that I bought 'Light of the Seven' on iTunes when I heard it during the opening scenes of The Winds of Winter.

It's an awesome song and it fits perfectly with the second trailer for S7.

-b.

I've been rewatching the entire series before the new season starts and noticing a bunch of little bits that I forgot before.  I completely forgot who had killed Joffrey and John Arin for example.  Just as important I just watched the Wildling attack on Castle Black and the entire episode is incredible.  Sam gets some real fleshing out in this episode, scared to death but he keeps his vow to fight - that is real courage.  At the same time he is justifying his love for Ghilly.