Macross- DYRL/Clash of the Bionoids

Azbat62

Maybe this was discussed before by someone else but here is my version. I now own both of these movies and except a few deleted scenes from DYRL there really is no difference. Clash has seems to be edited for the younger crowd as DYRL has one scene that is more adult based and just really doesn't add anything to the movie itself, sort of an artist's flight of fancy or something. Did I miss something in my viewing of these 2 movies that really set them apart from each other?

Clash of the Bionoids is superior to the original DYRL presentation because of the superb dub track. Not a finer dub track has ever been produced or laid down, IMO. Why this movie isn't out on blu ray, optimized to be shown on 4K Ultra televisions and supporting 7.2 channel surround sound as well as being THX certified is far beyond me.

Wait a minute. What's the missing scene that you're talking about?

Edited by myk

First edited scene was at the very beginning, Breetai and Exedore are studying some artifacts from a battle, Later on there is a shower scene with Minmae, IMHO was not needed.

The version of Clash of the Bionoids that I had also deleted some of the violent scenes, like Milia stomping on that Zentradi's head and Bodolza's face melting, but left in the Zentradi's head exploding when Max blew open his helmet. It also cut out the shower scene and accompanying montage, the opening conversation in Zentradi, and Hikaru responding to Misa after the explosion that whipes out the Zentradi mothership. In fact, in the version I saw, it seemed implied that Hikaru had died, as the last we see of him is him is a shot of his eye as he's about to shoot Bodolza, which then cuts to the ship exploding, followed by the bridge crew relaxing, Britai and Exodol saying that other fleets are out there, then Minmay singing and credits.

It wasn't until I saw DYRL uncut years later that I discovered Hikaru had survived. Somehow it was a bit of a letdown, as I always felt it was a little more epic in my childhood mind that he was the last pilot left, the Macross was pretty much done for and drifting, and he chose to sacrifice himself to save everyone else. It seemed to fit with the music and the overall theme of DYRL being a slightly darker take on Macross compared to the TV show.

Clash had a lot of the final battle cut out among the other scenes mentioned above. I also assumed Hikaru died at the end which confused the heck out of me when i watched flashback 2012 and saw him in the new post dyrl footage. Personally i thought it was weird they cut so much of the final battle and not trim out some of the slower paced stuff in the middle. It's almost like the editor took only one pass at it. As he was getting closer to the end he realized he still had 20 minutes to cut so the cuts got more frequent and drastic.

Clash of the Bionoids is superior to the original DYRL presentation because of the superb dub track. Not a finer dub track has ever been produced or laid down, IMO. Why this movie isn't out on blu ray, optimized to be shown on 4K Ultra televisions and supporting 7.2 channel surround sound as well as being THX certified is far beyond me.

Wait a minute. What's the missing scene that you're talking about?

I see what you did there. :3

Roy from Clash of Bionoids was comedy Gold.

How can you forget one-liners like:

"Just watch Jet Jockey in Action!"

or

"A Man can fight when he's drunk!"

Like others have said I like the ambiguous ending of Clash of the Bionoids. It just seemed way more heroic to think Hikaru kicked the bucket.

Anyone else remember trying to pause the VHS to catch that one split second of Hikaru's 1s shooting in the final scene? Think I busted one of my VHS copies doin that :0

All of the copies of 'Clash that I own have the scenes that have been mentioned as cut out. I guess I have the Directors Gold Cut version of 'Clash...

Hoping I'm somewhat in topic. Macross Chronicle tells Zentrans are genetically engineered soldiers that rely on organic technology and the Meltrans are cyborgs.

Then it hit me, Grace O'Conner no wonder you had Do You Remember Love play to destroy Frontier. A cyborg fleet frakking over an all natural fleet.

The Protoculture conflict was probably more than just Men vs Women, its also which technological direction will follow. Organic technology or Artificial/Cybernetic technology.

Edited by RedWolf

• 2 weeks later...

Since the dub was presumably done by Toho's regular international dub shop (the folks you hear on all the authorized English-language Godzilla DVDs), as the obligatory part of Toho's international marketing... that would make it the Official, Authorized English-language release of DRYL! :blink:

As I understand it -

Toho distributed the dub on Laserdisc in Japan, I believe for screening on commercial business flights, which also found its way into collectors hands. That would be the version seen letterboxed and subtitled in Japanese which was all the rage back in the mid-to-late 1980s VHS duplicating days.

Toho sold it in the US during the early VHS craze of the 80s, where the North American licensee ("Just For Kids"), rather shoddily cut it up for kid-inappropriate scenes, avoidance of the Japanese-subbed Zentraedi language scenes, and a reduction of run time, and released it as Clash of the Bionoids.

Super Spacefortress Macross originates from a UK license for the English-language print of the film, which Toho succeeded in selling in that region, and was released on VHS and in limited release on DVD. It dates from the very late 1980s and early 1990s, and even markets itself as 'The original Clash of the Bionoids'.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toho's own marketing cooked up the name "Clash of the Bionoids" as their international title for the film....

I've got the 1980's VHS of DYRL (non-dub version), CotB and SSFM. I should take a photo of them all together. :-)

Edited by AcroRay

A Japanese friend of mine had an uncut/unedited copy of the English dub with Japanese subtitles, and I showed it in the anime club I had started quite a few years back (The Otaku Society, St. Cloud State University in the early 90's). Had to issue an apology and promise to never show something that badly dubbed again!