Whats next for Arcadia?

w8kbrder

I think the cost of the VF4G confirms the theory that licensing costs play a big part in the increased cost of Arcadia goods. The counter argument are the Zero toys which shouldn't have large licensing costs but still cost an arm and a leg.

The licenses shouldn't have cost that much for Zero*, but comparatively, the VF-4 was a recently designed product with no retooling needed, and may not have even needed a renewed license agreement (assuming Arcadia could purchase that outright).  The Zero valks though definitely were entirely new tooling, and may have even needed a re-negotiated contract, since the Yamato ones came out so long ago.

* Note, I really don't know anything about what they should cost, but just on popularity alone, Zero shouldn't be in much demand.  Given how many things Bandai has teased as potential HMR releases though, it wouldn't surprise me if Bandai's offers are driving up the licensing costs for Arcadia across the board.

Edited by Chronocidal

On 16/04/2017 at 11:21 AM, ArchieNov said:

Wow. No offense, but I'm honestly surprised to see some people actually justifying Arcadia's pricing on this. Like seti88 said, I don't think using a comparison with the current aftermarket prices is a logical thing to do. Arcadia already has the molds, materials, and existing factories to produce these things. It's not like they're digging up long lost artifacts from the buried remains of Yamato or scouring the farthest reaches of Earth to gather rare materials to make them. There is no reason for them to be charging a much higher price for it.

Take for example the VF-4g reissue. The aftermarket prices for that thing were much higher than retail, but when it was reissued, it was almost exactly the same price as before after factoring in inflation. In fact, when most (in my experience) other toy companies reissue stuff, they're mostly very close to the original retail price and ignore aftermarket prices. Look at all the PVC scale statues for example. I have some of them that had gone up to 6x their retail price on the aftermarket. But when they were reissued 5 years later, the price was not far off from the original retail.

Or look at it another way. What if LEGO decides to reissue the UCS Millennium Falcon for $3.5k? Would you think that's a "fair" price since the current aftermarket prices for it are $5k or more? Let's even say the reissue will have all printed (tampoed) bricks instead of stickers too.

And please stop using the "Arcadia is a small company and they'll die if they don't price them this high" excuse. I've seen smaller companies make high quality products with lower prices.

Now if you have no problem paying these prices, more power to you. But I would like you to at least acknowledge that while you're buying this product, that it really is overpriced for what you are getting.

Very well said. 

Licensing cost money but I believe there's other factors. I read from other thread in this forum that Arcadia has a lot of wastage during production, around 60 to 78% wastage. Perhaps that is the reason for the high price. 

I have not seen any toys reissue having such a price hike. Yes, there's inflation and increase in production cost. But one of the most expensive cost, the initial mold making cost is not there anymore. Thus it should balance off the other increase in cost. 

Anyway, if one is Arcadia's fan and willing to pay the price, that's fine. It's his/her money. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice update, Arcadia!  :good:;) 

So they're going to show progress of Millia's VF-1J before release, the SV-51y progress, and SDF-1. Wow! How can someone stop buying when they're keep on announcing good stuff. :rolleyes: 

I want an SDF-1. TV or DYRL it doesn't matter. I need one on that scale. But not $500. Hehehe. :lol: 

On an off-topic side note, since it's going to be WonderFest, I wonder if Sentinel will show new updates for their Ride Armors. Can't wait for my wallet to get burned. ^_^

I would love to get an Arcadia reissue of the DYRL SDF-1 (and love a TV version even more). If it is a DYRL reissue I hope it's got a better box. That cheap crap box on the first one didn't even seem to fit the contents... yuck. C'mon Arcadia, give us a nice, solid box, maybe even a flip-top lid.

I wonder why no Max mentioned in the teaser? Aren't we supposed to get him in December? LOLz, it's probably "Miria Premium Version" that will be on display...

Are we finally going to get a release date on the Garland?

Since the 1/60 Max-S1J re-issue is scheduled for 12/2016 release, I reckon it's safe to say that this upcoming 1/3k SDF-1 re-issue won't release until at least spring next year.

Maybe jit again for tax-refunds season or so.

That said, wonder when the po will open up for both.

Wish Arcadia re-issue the 1/12 Scopedogs alongside with it as well. With updated joints stuff and long-needed detailing.

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

And this one will hopefully not fall apart right out of the box! :lol:

It did? Sorry, since I didn't have one before. Thank God for Arcadia I guess. ^_^

But I'll probably just get Ivanov. ;) 

I can't complain with all of the re-releases and Macross 0 upgrades that they have been doing as I have needed to add them to my collection in one form or another. But when is Arcadia going to go out an a limb even a little and give us something we haven't seen before. The VF-0 armor parts are about all we have gotten from them. I'm sure there are more than a few of us that have passed on their releases because of a 'been there, done that' feeling.

Raise your hand if you would jump at the chance for a VF-1 Low Viz, Minmay guard, Alaska base; a VF-11 Low Viz, Raven colors; a VF-17 Milia; a VF-19 Low Viz, Raven colors and so on low viz and so on low viz and so on low viz...

I know that licensing is always going to be a hurdle but surely they could get their hands on at least one of these while still making a profit.

I'd be down for a VF-1 Low Viz that was closer to the 1/48-scale paint scheme than the 1/60-scale paint scheme.

I did have the Yamato "yellow-stripe" Roy Low Viz for a short time, and couldn't get into it so I sold it off.

Also, since I couldn't fix my broken Yamato Nora, I'm definitely in for a new SV-51 too.

11 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

Raise your hand if you would jump at the chance for a VF-1 Low Viz, Minmay guard, Alaska base; a VF-11 Low Viz, Raven colors; a VF-17 Milia; a VF-19 Low Viz, Raven colors and so on low viz and so on low viz and so on low viz...

nope. If I'm going to get excited for something from Arcadia it had better be something more interesting than molds I already own but in grey.

Yeah - by low viz I mean something more in line with the 1/48 version. I know these are just fantasy planes but I just love them when they are decked out in colors that are more reminiscent of real life fighters. I've had to wipe off drool more than a few times with some of the customs I have seen.