Whats next for Arcadia?

w8kbrder

Racing stripes, white letter tires, big ass spoiler, and an exclusive sneak peak to the new CBS police drama starring Roy Fokker's VF-1S as the "Lone Wolf" detective  who gets on the wrong side of the police chief because he  always has the mayor breathing down his neck for breaking all the rules!

so whats next for arcadia is warning us about KOs/bootlegs...

so i guess i always thought yamato/arcadia stuff was too hard to make profitably as a bootlegger (i mean the way some things are molded, the sharpness of the details which are very hard to fill in molding process tells me you'll get logs of rejects)....i guess that is no longer the case

http://arcadia.ac/user_data/notice5.php

i kind of wonder if this warning will actually backfire for them.  i mean we macross collectors typically are used to paying high dollar amounts for our stuff but i could see how certain people in our hobby might opt for the cheaper way out.  Also secondary market prices make it "ripe" for ko makers to come in and undersell people.  i hope these ko makers don't succeed because tht will undoubtedly lower the "value" or the real ones when some of use go to sell and move on from certain pieces in our collections...

I'm really not surprised actually seeing that there's KO Metal Builds Gundams which I might say it looks perfectly the same as the original. The only thing I really don't like is that the joints of the KO one is much tighter than Bandai's loose joints. Hahaha!

But this thing really not gonna stop. Remember those old Takatoku clones? Forgot what it's called but yeah, it's not a surprise anymore. 

I'm a bit surprised it took so long for the KO people to be attempting this. 

Arcadia's ridiculously expensive pricing coupled with the lack of availability of fan-wanted items/accessories are just ripe for those bootleggers to exploit.

Afaict, anything made in China (or even Vietnam and elsewhere asian factories) are bootlegged rather easily.

Arcadia better smarten up and produce the stuff the fans want and at the pricing the fans can actually justifiably afford...

I'm all for KO...it creates competition. Anyone who says it's stealing...one of the first rules of business sucess is to answer the question, "Is my business easily duplicated?". So if you are a business that takes advantage of cheap labor in a country that doesn't have the same rules that you do, it's on you to deal with the risks that come with it.

I buy based on value to me. If something is great from the get go and priced reasonably, I will absolutely buy the original. If a KO has better quality, features or other advantages, little to no drawbacks and is cheaper, then it would be silly to me not at least consider that instead.

Edited by Slave IV

Thanks Arcadia for bringing that to my attention. I didn't know these were out there and now I do. I'll be sure to be on the look out for them.  ^_^

Normally I would not purchase bootlegs. I always get the official product when given the option. In fact the only bootleg I have ever purchased were the PG Gundam display stands. Bandai only made them once, in solid black, and charged an outrageous $80 for them. They were already out of print when I went to buy them so it was either bootleg or nothing. By getting the bootleg I was able to get the stands that some PG require (looking at you 00 Riser) and get them in clear.

Arcadia has basically put me in the same spot. Whether their fault or not (due to licensing issues) they have yet to release a stand alone super/strike pack and what they do release comes out at a slow trickle. For people like me with a lot of gaps in my collection I'm left with either paying exorbitant after market prices (which limits my gap filling ability) or going the bootleg route if/when they come out. 

I won't lie, I googled around for KO's, and have yet to find any of anything not 1/55 or from Macross7 - not on eBay, Alibaba, or just now on TaoBao English.

There's Gundam KO's a plenty, but not for Macross, which I guess is some indication of where the franchise lies in popularity if bootleggers don't want to take a risk to produce them.

2 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

I won't lie, I googled around for KO's, and have yet to find any of anything not 1/55 or from Macross7 - not on eBay, Alibaba, or just now on TaoBao English.

There's Gundam KO's a plenty, but not for Macross, which I guess is some indication of where the franchise lies in popularity if bootleggers don't want to take a risk to produce them.

Yeah same here. Couldn't find anything.

13 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

It took me about 5 minutes on the Chinese Taobao to find products using the exact pictures that the Arcadia warning uses.  I'm not going to link them here, as I don't know how that kind of thing is looked upon here.

The prices are ridiculously low (Like sub $10 USD), so there is no way I'd ever buy them (as it seems WAY to good to be true), but they are out there.  Maybe a braver soul would try it, just to see what they actually get.  I'd be nervous about even giving out payment info/address, but that is me.  Most are marked as KO's, so they aren't even pretending to be the real deal.

Edit: Those prices might just be for pre-orders, I'm not sure.  I don't read chinese, so I'm going off of a bad google translation, which is a mess.

Edited by HardlyNever

5 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

It took me about 5 minutes on the Chinese Taobao to find products using the exact pictures that the Arcadia warning uses.  I'm not going to link them here, as I don't know how that kind of thing is looked upon here.

The prices are ridiculously low (Like sub $10 USD), so there is no way I'd ever buy them (as it seems WAY to good to be true), but they are out there.  Maybe a braver soul would try it, just to see what they actually get.  I'd be nervous about even giving out payment info/address, but that is me.  Most are marked as KO's, so they aren't even pretending to be the real deal.

Edit: Those prices might just be for pre-orders, I'm not sure.  I don't read chinese, so I'm going off of a bad google translation, which is a mess.

Hmm, interesting that those results didn't turn up on the Taobao English.  The sheer variety of goods is interesting in that I wouldn't expect anyone would create KO's of such a variety of items.  I also see a listing for what looks like the new ride armors announced at Wonderfest.  Really wish I could read Mandarin. Actually, even that is an assumption. Could be Cantonese AFAIK.

Here we have a little translation.

For what I see. This is set to release in June of 2017 for 450 yuans (65 dollars more or less) is a small run. And you can pre order for 50 yuans.

And they will release a M&M KO on August.

Screenshot_20170314-194035.png

Screenshot_20170314-193953.png

Edited by Pedro2k6