3 hours ago, peter said:

Yes, this is a Transformers thread, but can you imagine if Michael Bay got his hands on Macross?  It will probably still be a huge box-office success, but wouldn't you be a little upset if Valkyries looked like my earlier post?  Or if the characters were doing things and saying things that were drastically different than what you remember?  Can you imagine if Roy was a total cuck who disliked drinking alcohol?

I wouldn't be upset because if I want the 80s PG version, I have the 80s PG version that I can watch and re-watch already. That being said, there are some things that they could reproduce very faithfully if they did an animated reboot as opposed to a live-action version. I don't think the saw-blade hairdos would translate well IRL and logistically, a live-action version would have many more challenges to contend with. Among those are the great bureaucracy and red tape that comes from any project requiring a major capital investment.

Changing story elements entails risk: sometimes it pays off, and sometimes it doesn't. You have to remember that social mores change with time also, so that has to be taken into consideration. Considering what a harsh minefield of red-tape, money and egos are involved in any major motion-picture project, it's almost a miracle that anything gets done at all. I just try to be thankful for the good stuff, which I will watch multiple times, and the things I don't like which I just don't re-watch.

Haha, yeah, the hairdos from 80's anime would not work for me today either.  

Mac Zero sort of addressed that with more realistic military haircuts...at least more than the original series.  

And as far as a PG rating goes, I would be totally fine with an R rated Macross.  The story is in the middle of a war, and could accept that.  It would be absolutely fantastic if they did a side story set in the period of SDFM, doesn't even need to include the original characters.  Maybe a story about another squadron.  

If they animated Macross the First, I think I would enjoy it, but I doubt that will ever happen.  

I think it would have to be a fan project if VF-1 era stuff was ever revisited on the screen.  And that probably goes the same for G1 stuff.

Guess that's why Yamato 2199 has so much appeal for me.

10 hours ago, peter said:

If they animated Macross the First, I think I would enjoy it, but I doubt that will ever happen.  

Wouldn't they have to actually print some Macross the First before that? It's been on hiatus for what, two years now? 

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

Wouldn't they have to actually print some Macross the First before that? It's been on hiatus for what, two years now? 

Yeah, it's killing me, haha!

IIRC, Peter Cullen based his Optimus voice on his brother, who was a Vietnam vet, right? I seem to recall something to that effect, but I dunno if I'm thinking of Cullen, Bob Ross, or someone else entirely.

Anyway, something completely unrelated to the above question, a continuation of that essay series I posted before. Does get into feminist theory for those of you adverse to that (if the title wasn't obvious enough), but veers more to the side of academia than... "political tool," I suppose (and even notes the distinction between the two). Anyway:

Edited by kajnrig

23 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

There was some sort of Arcee trio in the... second movie?

I want to say there's been one more since, but I'm more doubtful than I am certain.

I think it was just the second film. And they didn't even use the awesome Arcee model from the first film's toyline.

Trans5mers Voyager Megatron review by Vangelus:

This looks great and I feel I need to break my rule not buying any movie toys. I can't believe HasTak managed to do a proper looking jet that Transforms in a robot like this. Please bring this engineering to some other toys from the more G1 focused lines. :)

[edit:] Noticed that this is probably the wrong thread for this post. Maybe a mod wants to move this to the Transformers toy thread.

Edited by Scyla

• 6 months later...