Pretty good movie. Very realistic, for the most part, with a likable star and a good focus on aesthetics and hard science.

(The computers are, as always, way too flashy and take a long time to display simple text files because "sweet animation for every letter", and they put the Vehicle Assembly Building in Houston instead of Florida for SOME REASON)

Aesthetically speaking, I am particularly fond of the Ares space suits. And the Ares logo, which draws blatant inspiration from NASA's "worm" logo of the 80s(AKA the good logo). The iconic upside-down-V-as-A warms my heart every time I see it.

Also, the Sojourner-as-robot-puppy visual was ADORABLE. 'S the cutest Mars rover to date, and I want one too.

I have not read the book yet, but it is on my short list of things to do.

Took a date to see this last night in non 3D as I just can't take it, and I'll give it a thumbs up. Beautifully shot and the Mars scenes are gorgeous. Damon did a good job as well, but for me, I was totally in love with the NASA nerd chick in the glasses ...wowwzzaa! :wub::wub::wub:

Took a date to see this last night in non 3D as I just can't take it, and I'll give it a thumbs up. Beautifully shot and the Mars scenes are gorgeous. Damon did a good job as well, but for me, I was totally in love with the NASA nerd chick in the glasses ...wowwzzaa! :wub::wub::wub:

Do you mean the blonde who's in 'Halt and Catch Fire?'

Went for round two last night - it can withstand a second viewing.

My only criticism is that it makes survival on Mars seem a little 'easy'.

Looks like I will get my chance to see it again! I didn't want to go alone but now my girlfriend who hasn't seen it yet want to go so here's my chance!

With the white vest. Gotta have the white vest!

It is a really good movie, as in a drama set in space rather than just sci fi serving as the frame work for a script.

It'll will be the third in my Triumvirate of recent Sci Fi Gold that will sit on my DVD shelf. Gravity. Interstellar, and now The Martian.

I've seen it again too, and I plan to pick up the blu-ray when it's released. The second time I went with a group instead of going alone, which made for a different experience.

And...I take back some of what I wrote above. The movie does stand on its own to multiple viewings. The whole idea is a fun success story for Andy Weir (the original author). It's also neat watching Damon playing out the stranded astronaut again.

And my litmus test for any book to movie adaptation is this: does the movie make me want read the book again? Jackson did that with Lord of th Rings, even with its cuts and errors. He didn't do that with the Hobbit. Scott, I'm glad to say, has done that with The Martian.

The disco was boss, but I can't imagine having only the option to listen to disco for that long. :o

Totally! I'm the kinda guy who loves a WIDE variety of music, if I just had one kind plus being stranded on Mars, whew, I might go nuts!! :p

• 2 months later...

Congratulations to The Martian for winning Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy and Matt Damon for winning Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy at the 73rd Golden Globe Awards. Yes, the '70s music makes the film qualify as a musical. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ksvylUN_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjys1NnWYrU

Edited by areaseven

Congratulations to The Martian for winning Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy and Matt Damon for winning Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy at the 73rd Golden Globe Awards. Yes, the '70s music makes the film qualify as a musical. :p

Actually, it was in as a comedy.

The Martian has seven Academy Award nominations:

• Best Picture
  • Best Actor - Matt Damon
  • Best Adapted Screenplay
  • Best Sound Editing
  • Best Sound Mixing
  • Best Production Design
  • Best Visual Effects

It'll probably bag the Best Adapted Screenplay award, but everything else will probably go to The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, or Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

It'll probably bag the Best Adapted Screenplay award, but everything else will probably go to The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, or Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Kind of disappointing really. I haven't seen the Revenant yet, but I think this was objectively a much better film than Mad Max or TFA.

• 1 month later...