The trailer didn't really do jack for me. It's kind of like the studio just finished watching Interstellar and thought Mars looks too boringso they barfed CGI all over the place.

That said, the novel was fantastic, and everyone here should go read it.

The trailer didn't really do jack for me. It's kind of like the studio just finished watching Interstellar and thought Mars looks too boringso they barfed CGI all over the place.

That said, the novel was fantastic, and everyone here should go read it.

I'm half way though the book and I am hoping the movie is just as good!

I'm half way though the book and I am hoping the movie is just as good!

So much of what makes the book so good is Watney's narration. I have no idea how they're going to capture that in a film, but judging from the teaser their answer might be "CGI the heck out of it!" I don't have high hopes for the movie.

One of the best sci-fi novels I've read. Watney's narration is the greatest strength of the book, and I assume Damon will be doing voiceover throughout in order to capture the feel of the novel. The trailer doesn't really show much, just let's you know there's a ship and some people are walking on Mars. I hope Ridley captures the essence of the book; I mean it's Castaway on Mars, only with a really smart and really funny castaway. If Ridley can translate the loneliness, isolation, and desperation, along with Watney's singular humor throughout, then I think it'll be good. I have high hopes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a movie, not a miniseries. Can't fit the entire book.

How does this even conjugate with what GMK wrote? He didn't mention wanting to see the whole book on film, he was disappointed by the fact that the theatrical version uses a poor "time passes" substitue to skip scenes that he liked. A number of films do this, and I think it is a fair criticism. Perhaps the retail release will include a director's cut that adds some of those scenes back in?

Edited by technoblue

How does this even conjugate with what GMK wrote? He didn't mention wanting to see the whole book on film, he was disappointed by the fact that the theatrical version uses a poor "time passes" substitue to skip scenes that he liked. A number of films do this, and I think it is a fair criticism. Perhaps the retail release will include a director's cut that adds some of those scenes back in?

Again, you can't fit the entire book onto the screen. Sequences from the book you may have really liked may not make the cut, and that should be expected. To a certain degree you need to leave the book at the door when you walk into the theater. If you can't figure out how this is relevant to what you both said, I cannot help you.

And out of 23 films Scott has helmed as director, he has exactly 2 director's cuts (Blade Runner and Kingdom of Heaven) that differ from the theatrical release. Almost certainly there isn't another hour or two of film waiting to be put back in. Again, this is the movie, not the book.

Edit: I'd like to add that when a movie totally butchers a book and produces mess of a release, I say have at it with guns blazing (I'm looking at you, The Hobbit trilogy).

Edited by Duke Togo

If I could figure the spoiler tag thing, I'd say which parts that weren't in the book that were in the movie that could've been jettisoned so to include at least one part that was in the book.

Still, I'm considering a rewatch this weekend.