M+ ghost X-9

Xigfrid

15 hours ago, Jasonc said:

I'm looking to do a metallic finish red on my build. I bought black base coat, then chrome, and then a clear red to go over it. I'll test a part out first to see how that goes, but I can't work on it now until the current project is done.

let the chrome layer FULLY and TOTALLY cure as any blemish shows in the candy top coat. Finger prints included.

Mist the red tint over it, let it dry, repeat until you get a nice deep red. Don't try to do it on just a couple of coats, it may take 4 or 5. The first ones HAVE to be super light mistings to get adhesion without effecting the chrome layer. I thicker coat of red could rewet the chrome layer lifting it and thinning it in spots showing through the black base.

Been there, messed that up.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, Xigfrid said:

That would be an epic Ghost paint scheme!

I hope that's the end result. It's going to take a lot of work and a lot of smooth and tedious prep work to get the parts the way I need them to be.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, derex3592 said:

can't wait to see that! 

Thanks. I really can't wait to start. I know it's a pain in the bottom to do, but the end result, if all goes well, should be that eye popping moment.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:59 AM, NZEOD said:

let the chrome layer FULLY and TOTALLY cure as any blemish shows in the candy top coat. Finger prints included.

Mist the red tint over it, let it dry, repeat until you get a nice deep red. Don't try to do it on just a couple of coats, it may take 4 or 5. The first ones HAVE to be super light mistings to get adhesion without effecting the chrome layer. I thicker coat of red could rewet the chrome layer lifting it and thinning it in spots showing through the black base.

Been there, messed that up.

Thanks for the tips. I know it takes a lot of fine layers, and a lot of time to have all layers fully cure. I'm also going to be using ratio of 1:0.75 for the paint to thinner ratio so that I can get that long cure time for it to sit and really get that gloss look to it. I do need to test it though, as I still want a deep red. I may need to mix a little of the clear smoke color to deepen that. I'll be experimenting for awhile on the color, so that I get it right.

I think you wanted to use Tritium vial on the eye, which I recently inserted into my model. I used a red vial which is not bright enough, a green or the light bleu would be better. 

The installation was straight forward: drilling a 2mm hole depth 4mm inside the clear canopy, gluing the vial in place and done. 

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 22/04/2018 at 12:35 PM, Rogueload said:

@Xigfrid I know this mold has been shut down for some time but if you or anyone else is willing to sell their copy I’m game. 

If you end up making these again in the future I will not miss out this time.  

Hi Rogueload, that honors me unfortunately I have no recast kits anymore. I still have the plastic "Master" I can sell if you think you can sand a few parts and paint the kit yourself. If any interest leave me a MP to discuss it. Otherwise, you can ask on the "WANTED" section, perhaps you will have more feedback there.

4 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

You should really sell that master on to return to kits form to preserve your work...

Thing is that I really plan to make a "renewal version" of the X-9 ghost at some point with better engineering and if I can with some esthetic improvements. I have a few plans for the near future already, but that would be cheating on RTKF if I were to sell them the current Master

I've decided to enroll in a 3D MAx course this summer, which I believe is the same as Sketchup.

And this is my Ghost. I got the awesome retractable gears version!

I still have Isamu's Bike and Sharon to paint one day, when I learn how to get a glossy coat down:ph34r:

5adf2b3539c09_2018-04-2416_54_23.thumb.jpg.adad2dca28b6b66ed84ca039efe50fba.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm still wanting to get to my kit to build it, but I'm in need of finishing two other kits I'm currently working on.

10 minutes ago, Gojira101 said:

Has anyone reproduced one of these kits? I feel like my collection will never be complete without one. 

The designer is Xigfrid, so he'd be the one to do that.  From what I know, it hasn't been redone yet, but perhaps in due time.

Hi guys! 

I have been recently working on it, coincidence? I am slowly updating the model with proportions changes and a few design improvements. That’s a very slow process because I have a lot of things to do in parallel.

For the curious and if you don’t know yet, I have created a FB where I post various things related to my custom prints and paints. I am also posting the less relevant updates there. https://m.facebook.com/Xigfrids-Customs-1935018056798394/?ref=bookmarks

• 2 months later...

Hi! At this point, I am still working on the model. In fact I have recently purchased dedicated inputs for my 3D modeling and I need to get used to them before going back to complex designs such as the Ghost X9.

setup : 3D Spacemouse and keyboard on left hand + MX570 trackball and classic mouse on right hand

• 1 month later...

A few things have changed. Globally the global silhouette is more aggressive and a few details have been updated to better match the lien art.
-global shape changed to be more aggressive
-Sharon computer form can be put inside the X-9
-total rework of the landing gears: larger rubber, they now open in 2 parts, front gear can rotate and no metal printing anymore required!
-new missile traps mechanism
-fewer and larger missiles

Overall the body will be more complex to assemble than the V1 (which used only 4 screws) but the level of details will be increased and the moving parts will be stronger.

0001_47F_V2x9.jpg

0002_47F_V2x9.jpg

0003_47F_V2x9.jpg

0004_47F_V2x9.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Being a proud owner of Ver 1, I really am digging Ver 2 as well!  Great work @Xigfrid!!! 

Same here! The 1st version is really impressive.

But will your version two be “Perfect Finish”?

Xigfrid, keep up the great work!

70CCA119-DABF-49BE-B314-461A041F5357.jpeg

653D9B81-A116-4402-A3AF-4A0BF1406DF6.jpeg

4 hours ago, ChristopherB said:

Amazing collection nB4m, have you posted pictures somewhere showing all the Macross items you own?  Very cool customs too.  :lol:

All in one place? Not really.

My collection is mostly stored in my garage.  I have lots of goodies that I have not seen in years but I know they are there.

I will definitely have to make an effort to bring out the collection and take pictures of it to share.  At the same time I can do the same for my other collections.

Thank you for the kind compliment.

• 4 weeks later...

I have received all the parts today except for the wings! Damn, I don’t understand how I can forget to print the wings... mind you last time it happened was with the VF-9 cutlass! 

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that there was no major error and only 2-3 minor things to fix. 

The ghost X-9 doesn’t look that nice in black, but will you believe me if I tell you that this mech Is amongst the sexiest ones.

5912503A-4766-4D72-9590-84D69D29FED1.jpeg

0E7228FD-9F3F-40EC-94A8-A9A037DAA5D2.jpeg

9C1B97B5-0CEE-40CB-8914-492E5F50D079.jpeg