Macross Master File

Galaxy_Stranger

AMM0112SQ.  Apparently they're an upgrade to the AMM-102.

Pg 091 has a bit more on them, with a clearer image (not quite square, but I like the thrust vectoring paddles on the nozzle).

15 hours ago, Andras said:

Thanks guys, any word on missile count in the -31s wing mounted Super packs?

None that I recall, no... but Master File has been kind of cheating on that front ever since Variable Fighter Master File: VF-19 Excalibur.  

Master File's writers have been pretty vague on the subject of FAST Pack missile counts in all but the VF-1 Valkyrie books, really.  The VF-1 books were the only ones to really get specific on that front, since the writers were using the book as a fix fic for the different missile counts in the line art and the various toys and model kits.  Their take was that the missile count shown on the FAST Pack in official art (12 per booster, 3 per arm) is representative of the version used during the war, and the variant with twenty missiles per booster used in many kits and toys was developed after the war and uses a newer and slightly smaller micro-missile.  The VF-4 and VF-22 books kind of ignore the subject altogether, while the VF-19 and VF-25 books dodged that question entirely by presenting a modular FAST Pack concept where the internal space of the booster had a bunch of partitions that could be used for either missiles or additional fuel tanks... allowing the propellant capacity and ordnance load to be dialed up or down according to the needs of the moment.  The VF-25 book just cited a typical count, though the count didn't match a eyes-on count of the missiles in the art.

Thanks, however, the problem with a 12 count in the FAST packs is Max and Miriya fired 16 missiles each in the final battle. Two volleys of 8. And the SDFM arm packs are clearly shown firing 12 missiles in 6 pairs.

So if anything, the older packs should have smaller missiles, and the new packs (as filmed in DYRL) have larger missiles.

Edited by Andras

15 hours ago, Andras said:

Thanks, however, the problem with a 12 count in the FAST packs is Max and Miriya fired 16 missiles each in the final battle. Two volleys of 8. And the SDFM arm packs are clearly shown firing 12 missiles in 6 pairs.

So if anything, the older packs should have smaller missiles, and the new packs (as filmed in DYRL) have larger missiles.

Yeah, I know... the animation is never infallible, and the animation of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series was off-model almost as much as it was on because of how it was done so cheaply.  The animation model sheets, official art materials, and published specs are much more reliable and consistent, which is why they're the resource the Macross Compendium and Macross Mecha Manual use as reference instead of the animation.  The animation inconsistencies diminish as budget and production quality increase, but they still crop up in unexpected places (like Klan Klan's mysteriously variable height of anywhere from 10m to 16m in Macross Frontier).  So the Master File writers were left with a choice between the official spec that says 12 per booster and 3 per arm, and the toys which have 20 per booster and 3 per arm, and decided to turn it into a fix fic to explain why both should be a thing... which is fine, since in '94 Macross's creators totally did the same thing for the TV and Movie VF-1's.

(If you look at it from Kawamori's perspective, Max and Milia's impossible missile stunt from the series is dramatic license on the part of whatever schmuck was handling special effects for that Space War 1 docu-drama... like how Hellsing's Alucard tends to fire well upwards of a dozen rounds from the Jackal before reloading, even though the gun only holds six shots.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Completed my Variable Fighter Master File Books including the Episode Archives Vol.1. Sorry it's the same pic I posted on the Toy Haul Section. ^_^

XWLmxt2.jpg

Congrats on the achievement! You caught them all! :D

6 hours ago, hachi said:

Technically he's missing one: ISBN 9784797368093

Here's a site with piccies of the book's contents: http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_SA編集部_000000000517990/item_ヴァリアブルファイター・マスターファイル-VFモデリングマニュアル_5339626

More of a how-to modelling book...but if you feel compelled to get it....there are some gently used ones on Mandarake....

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1027537835&ref=list

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1064800866&ref=list

If you just wanted to get a reference guide covering the various VF series...you caught them all....so far....lots more VFs to cover

I would need to compare the VF modelling manual book to the individual VF MF books...it is possible that the Modelling book is just rehashing what is found on the VF MF books....with the added content being the How-to guides....

If you want a similar book....I suggest the recently released one covering the model kits featured on Model Graphix over the years...but then again, I think you already have it No3Ljm...:rolleyes:

large.20170514_233605.jpg.0d0690115ca072

Edited by jvmacross

8 hours ago, sketchley said:

So he missed one. I take back those congratulations :p

But look it's available at CDJapan for 200 yen less! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALLLLLLLLLLLL COME ON NO3LJM :D

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1351706

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, jvmacross said:

You caught them all!!!  :drinks:

Thanks JVM!!! :drinks:

22 hours ago, hachi said:

For now... I say thank you, Hachi! :D 

16 hours ago, sketchley said:

Yeah, during the time that I'm getting all the Variable Fighter Books, I saw this one and when I noticed that it's just some kit photos and how-to's, I said, nah I think I'm good with just the reference books since I don't do model kit that much. ^_^ 

13 hours ago, jvmacross said:

More of a how-to modelling book...but if you feel compelled to get it....there are some gently used ones on Mandarake....

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1027537835&ref=list

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1064800866&ref=list

If you just wanted to get a reference guide covering the various VF series...you caught them all....so far....lots more VFs to cover

I would need to compare the VF modelling manual book to the individual VF MF books...it is possible that the Modelling book is just rehashing what is found on the VF MF books....with the added content being the How-to guides....

If you want a similar book....I suggest the recently released one covering the model kits featured on Model Graphix over the years...but then again, I think you already have it No3Ljm...:rolleyes:

*snip*

Yes sir! I have that one too. ^_^

IMG_9466.thumb.JPG.416398cb280a9bc8917803a1abca9b9c.JPG

7 hours ago, hachi said:

So he missed one. I take back those congratulations :p

But look it's available at CDJapan for 200 yen less! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALLLLLLLLLLLL COME ON NO3LJM :D

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1351706

And now... I still say THANK YOU!!! :lol: 

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, DWN013 said:

Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Battroid Valkyrie

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2244066

I'll get one, but dang it man, I was hoping for VF-11 thunderbolt or VF-3000 crusader.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1402762

Looking forward to it....already had PO'd at HLJ

710xFah07qL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by jvmacross

Got my preorder in... but after the dismal quality of the last few volumes (Squadrons, VF-4, VF-22, VF-31), my hopes are not high.

SoftBank seems to be slipping a bit, the last few Master Archive Mobile Suit books were pretty bad as well.  The MS-06 Zaku II one was more a Zaku variant gallery than an actual book, and there's almost no actual material in the Victory Gundam one.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:25 AM, DWN013 said:

Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Battroid Valkyrie

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2244066

I'll get one, but dang it man, I was hoping for VF-11 thunderbolt or VF-3000 crusader.

Pre-ordered.  Same here, I was holding high hopes for a VF-11 or VF-17(1).

1 hour ago, ivorysniper said:

Same here, I was holding high hopes for a VF-11 or VF-17(1).

The VF-11 definitely deserves one to itself... especially after Macross the Ride not only put the VF-11 front and center, but made a fair amount of noise out of the New UN Forces still having loads of 'em being phased out of service more than a decade after their replacement was introduced.

With the VF-17's in-universe production volume not even breaking quadruple digits, I'd expect they would combine the VF-17 and VF-171 into a single book and focus mainly on the 171 (which is just freaking EVERYWHERE).

38 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

The next book may focus on the new show's VF....assuming there is one....if Bandai is sponsoring it....there will probably be at least one new VF...

Nah, they usually turn out a book or two a year... and they'll need something to fill the first 2/3 of 2019, since it's looking like the new series will follow the established pattern of having the teaser version of Ep1 air the last week in December and then start its broadcast run the following April.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The VF-11 definitely deserves one to itself... especially after Macross the Ride not only put the VF-11 front and center, but made a fair amount of noise out of the New UN Forces still having loads of 'em being phased out of service more than a decade after their replacement was introduced.

With the VF-17's in-universe production volume not even breaking quadruple digits, I'd expect they would combine the VF-17 and VF-171 into a single book and focus mainly on the 171 (which is just freaking EVERYWHERE).

I agree with you on the VF-17 not yielding enough material for the main character consideration, so the VF-171 should definitely take over. Softbank has already portraited its -11s and -171s on various VFMF books (even an RVF-171 !!). At least the 3D CAD work should be almost done (if not completely).