VF-4G: Why the astronomical prices?

w8kbrder

yeah, it was a great price even with N-Y ems shipping charges. It was the most expensive Valk I have purchased at the time, and N-Y use the most basic Packaging. (big old box, re-used and cut up to be a smaller one. Bubble wrap valk in newspaper).

Edited by F360

So, basically, most folks believe that nearly $400 is a great price for a toy? This seems rather steep compared to all other releases. And, it didn't even include a gunpod. Don't get me wrong, I love this toy. I don't expect it to ever get a reissue, so had to grab it while it was available.

Also, when you say it's "a steal", I take it you are comparing the price I paid when compared to current market prices.

Edited by funkymonkeyjavajunky

I think the problem is the uncertainty and limited quantity of the inicial production but the power to end with the ridiculous prices once again is arcadia if release a new production is almost sure the old yamato would lower the price like happened with the bandai dx vf25s renewal ozma -_-

So, basically, most folks believe that nearly $400 is a great price for a toy? This seems rather steep compared to all other releases. And, it didn't even include a gunpod. Don't get me wrong, I love this toy. I don't expect it to ever get a reissue, so had to grab it while it was available.

Also, when you say it's "a steal", I take it you are comparing the price I paid when compared to current market prices.

Yup. That's correct. :rolleyes: I mean, look what that Valk is doing on a third market price. Some posted even $800-1000. I know for a moment NY posted their last copy around Y99000. And now it's already gone. But the last price on their page states Y110000. It meas, they probably sold their last copy for that price. Who knows. Even Mommar said the MSRP was between $290-330. So getting it for $388? Yup, that is a steal. ;)

Also to answer your first sentence regarding $400 for a toy. Look at what Hot Toys are doing nowadays on their Diecast Series. It's almost $400. $340 to be exact for their Iron Man diecast releases. And that's without shipping yet. I cannot say it's great really great to have that price. But looking at the details they're producing, I'll probably have to pay just to get it. But yeah, back then, $290-330 for a Valk was kinda steep. And look how much we're paying nowadays... :unsure:

I think the problem is the uncertainty and limited quantity of the inicial production but the power to end with the ridiculous prices once again is arcadia if release a new production is almost sure the old yamato would lower the price like happened with the bandai dx vf25s renewal ozma -_-

I totally agree too. ^_^

Yeah, the way "steal" is used here shouldn't be in contention in regards to the VF-4 :p

It's all relative and you either pay now or you might pay a lot more later :(

It's all relative and you either pay now or you might pay a lot more later :(

indeed it is. Very early on when I restarted my collection I remember seeing Max & Milia's VF-1J still selling for around $300ish each region but that was already double what I had intended to cap each Valk purchase at so I put buying them aside..

Big mistake as it turned out. <_<

yeah it is expensive so it is better to wait for arcadia do v2.0 VF-4 with moveable shoulder :p

tbh, the only reason it went that high is due to the very limited supply, page 1 has lots of feasible theories on why the toy is reaching this price.

Hmm... This got me thinking (not always a good thing lol):

Even if Arcadia released a new VF-4, prices for this particular toy may not decrease significantly. They're different toys, simply put. The new one won't be the last valk from Yamato, won't have the history/notoriety of going for so much, and may even be the flashback version.

I think that this will remain a holy grail item (with prices that reflect that) regardless of whatever vf-4 toy gets produced by any company in the future.

I'd say anything under $400 is below the going low-end market rate, so definitely a steal haha.

Anything over $600 or so and you're probably getting hosed a bit.

I think Arcadia is pretty sloppy at business if they DON'T release a VF-4. It shows they don't keep up with the aftermarket, and they aren't trying to compete in spaces that Bandai can't flex it's muscles. Bandai isn't going to whip out a VF-4 Hi metal because they would have to make a whole new mold. Their current hi-j whatever seems like a resurrection just to steal dollars from Arcadia releases.

Anyway, prices like that SHOULD command re-issues because it means people want it and don't have it.

Edited by Gakken85

I'd say anything under $400 is below the going low-end market rate, so definitely a steal haha.

Anything over $600 or so and you're probably getting hosed a bit.

I think Arcadia is pretty sloppy at business if they DON'T release a VF-4. It shows they don't keep up with the aftermarket, and they aren't trying to compete in spaces that Bandai can't flex it's muscles. Bandai isn't going to whip out a VF-4 Hi metal because they would have to make a whole new mold. Their current hi-j whatever seems like a resurrection just to steal dollars from Arcadia releases.

Anyway, prices like that SHOULD command re-issues because it means people want it and don't have it.

Agreed about the re-release....but maybe if they were commonplace...no one would want them that much. Seems like the majority here only like the fighter mode.

It seems that everyonw here wants at least one of everything whether its ugly or not. Im sure Arcadia wouldnt have issues selling.

Question: Simce Im still new, it seems that a lot of re-issues cause the value of the originals to go down (at least w/ macross 1/60)...Im guessing due to reworking the build and making it better. This is the first thing Ive ever collected that had this effect. Usually a re-issue makes more aware that theres a hard to find original out there...attracts a new audience...which makes the demand for the original higher. I dont see that in this case regarding valks. I see newer versions warranting more cash. It baffles me!

Edited by w8kbrder

Agreed about the re-release....but maybe if they were commonplace...no one would want them that much. Seems like the majority here only like the fighter mode.

It seems that everyonw here wants at least one of everything whether its ugly or not. Im sure Arcadia wouldnt have issues selling.

Question: Simce Im still new, it seems that a lot of re-issues cause the value of the originals to go down (at least w/ macross 1/60)...Im guessing due to reworking the build and making it better. This is the first thing Ive ever collected that had this effect. Usually a re-issue makes more aware that theres a hard to find original out there...attracts a new audience...which makes the demand for the original higher. I dont see that in this case regarding valks. I see newer versions warranting more cash. It baffles me!

In the case of Arcadia re-issues vs Older Yamato's it's because the Arcadia releases usually have less tampo, and/or different plastic covers.

People have pretty much decided that certain late era yamato releases are the "best" version since it has everything a collector wants.

I don't know of any newer versions that are worth more - unless you're talking about the V2 vs the V1, where it's just a better piece overall.

I guess, the best example here is the reissuing of DX VF-25S Renewal and the mentioned Yamato/Arcadia VF-1's and YF-19.

Prior of the reissue for the DX VF-25S Renewal, prices were like $400-800 after market. Then Bandai decided to have a reissue 2-3 years later after the initial release. Now everyone wants to sell theirs for lower price since everyone can avail the recent reissue for $200 less. It's the same product only with tightened joints. But imagine if it were a Renewal-renewal version 2 for VF-25S, then for sure prices from the first Renewal will drop instantly. Same thing applies for the VF-1's and YF-19. ;)

But, if ever Arcadia finally decided to re-release the VF-4G, they can and will jack up the price up compared to the initial released price and collector will still buy even for just one copy. (Just so you know, I will still buy one, if ever. ;) ) Now you're going to ask why are they going to mark up the price since it's just a 'reissue', it's because they can. Example, the reissuing of VF-1S/Roy/Hikaru under Arcadia banner. And look at the prices now for Arcadia's releases, it still going up after market prices. Somehow, I think of Arcadia, the 'Hot Toys of Macross'. They can dictate the price like Hot Toys are doing and people are still buying. Even we complain to less tampo, miscolorization, and what not, we still buy them. ^_^

Well, Arcadia has a monopoly on pretty much everything Macross prior to Frontier, and Bandai monopolizes Frontier toys. They can set the prices wherever they want, since they're the only producers of high grade collectible toys for their respective brands. I'm glad they're priced as low as they are, even though $300 per unit is still pretty steep for a toy. They just need to make the Variable Glaug, maybe a VF-14, and a VF-3000 at current asking prices and then charge whatever they want after that. I'll consider my Macross collecting days about over, unless Bandai cranks out something cool from the next Macross series.

Well, the base mold is the same, with a few swapped pieces, and different colors.

The thing there is that the YF-21 is iconic, nearly the star of it's own show (the entire Macross Plus movie intro was a big YF-21 montage). The VF-22s all showed up for probably less screentime across the entirety of Macross 7 than the YF-21 got in its OAV and movie. That, and I don't think Japan ever liked Max and Miria as much as the western audiences. Their valks always go up in price after the fact, but they've never been hard to acquire when they were new, that I've seen.

True. And what we're discussing here is a reissue or rerelease of the same said Valk. I'm sure if they will reissue or rerelease the same YF-21, price might drop on the first release. With that said, I don't think Arcadia will sell a reissued YF-21 below Y24000 nowadays. And why YF-21 demands greater price is because VF-22, like barurutor and Chronocidal said, is a different valk, and it's from a different show. They have the same mold but with some changed parts. So if I want for example the YF-21 because I like its color, the pilot and Macross Plus compared to Macross7, and still know that VF-22 is a lot cheaper, would you go and buy VF-22 instead? I think the additional factor also why VF-22 is cheaper than YF-21 is because some people know that they like Macross Plus than Macross7. So demand is not as high as Macross Plus valks. ;)

For that matter, I'm willing to pay the same amount as YF-19/VF-0D/0S to a new YF-21 as long that Arcadia will revisit and re-engineer it again. ^_^

Same here; if Arcadia produces a new, more balanced YF-21 on par with their YF-19, then I'll plunk down my $300 without a second thought.

As for the discussion above, I've never seen M7, but the premise of a teen rock band flying shiny gregarious valks with their instruments battling with music in space (how does that work?) doesn't really grab me. Macross Plus had a well written and time relevant story, as the competition between the YF-22 and YF-23 to be the USAF's superiority fighter had just been happening a few years prior. They chose the wrong jet, but that's OT. Anyway, with its military angle and unusual love triangle, Plus resonates, and Kawamori's YF-19 and YF-21 were both beautiful designs. I don't think his M7 upgrades to those original designs really added much, and I still prefer the YF over the VF versions. Given a choice between buying M7 or Plus versions, I'll always buy M+.

Same here; if Arcadia produces a new, more balanced YF-21 on par with their YF-19, then I'll plunk down my $300 without a second thought.

As for the discussion above, I've never seen M7, but the premise of a teen rock band flying shiny gregarious valks with their instruments battling with music in space (how does that work?) doesn't really grab me. Macross Plus had a well written and time relevant story.

This made me laugh. I completely agree with you. I watched about 10min of M7 and thought to myself....."is this a joke? Maybe this is a youtube remix." Its like the writers decided to take something bada$$, join it with something extremely lame, put on some john lennon glasses and throw up the peace sign. They might as well mashup the 80s cartoon Jem and the Holograms with valks. The toy version of M7 valks are awesome. I see why people buy them. I cant see how anyone can make sense of that particular macross series though.

Back to the VF-4 I keep wondering if a new run would be profitable for Acradia. We don't know how many VF-4 where created by Yamato. Maybe it weren't that many produced and the few collectors that want one will pay high price.

Maybe it is similar to the Mona Lisa. There just a handful of people who want to pay for it but if Leonardo made a few thousand they would collect dust in his workshop. ^_^

I would be in for one. Preferably the FB2012 but I'd be also ok with the VF-X one at this point. :)

What if BW is limiting the license for VF-4 and they just let Yamato have it as a farewell gift to a company that is about to leave the scene?

Interesting thought, but what reason would they have to limit a release of that particular valk? I'm thinking that Yamato considered popularity of the valks before sinking money into producing them. The VF-4 had all of about 3 seconds of screen time in FB 2012, and made an appearance in the Macross games. It's certainly no VF-1, YF-19, or YF-21 in terms of general recognition, although in hindsight it was on the want-list of alot of invested Macross fans. Knowing they were nearing the end, Yamato really had nothing to lose by producing it as a web exclusive. I wonder if they even made enough to cover the production expenses. Given the aftermarket on the VF-4, I'd say Arcadia could still make a nice profit from rereleases and repaints if they chose to do so, if the molds are still in good condition. I'd say choice vs risk is Arcadia's only limiting factor. Someone needs to start a global petition and put it on their site; that might be the incentive they need.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Yamato acquired the VF-4 via the PS2 VFX game license. They said the VF-4 FB2012 Hikaru version was too dificult to get hence no FB2012 version.

I doubt Big West gave the license just as a gift. From what I've seen Big West is very strict with their licensing. If I were to ventured a wild guest, Yamato could have leave pending payment for their last production run, could explain why there was a quality (in my opinion) downgrade and slight changes in their production by using a completely different factory avoiding their old.

This is just a wild thought with no real basis, so don't take this as fact.

Has anything ever been licensed as an FB 2012 variant? I kinda wonder if there isn't some crazy rights issue that makes a specific FB 2012 license impossible to come by. BW might have thought "Meh, it will never matter" and then Yamato asked for it and they were like "Sh*t, we honestly have no idea if we'll get sued by someone who participated in the releasing FB 2012 so... no dice."

What quality downgrade are you talking about in regard to Yamato?

I think BW is just demanding more for all licenses across the board as a new series is pending so Arcadia has to go with whatever's cheapest, (Macross Zero).

• 3 weeks later...

What if BW is limiting the license for VF-4 and they just let Yamato have it as a farewell gift to a company that is about to leave the scene?

No, there was no 'limitation' imposed on the license, just two major factors that need to be kept in mind.

(1)The VF-X license was most likely considerably cheaper than the FB2012 one. For a niche valk that isnt a hero valk, going with the cheaper license makes business sense.

(2)(Repeating whats been said previously but) IT WAS MADE TO ORDER. And there was a large window to order as well. The only limitation to the number of valks made was the number that were ordered. It sucks for anyone late to the party but theres no conspiracy theory behind it.