To be(kinda, somewhat, not really) fair, in the new canon, the battle of Hoth was the first time that had ever happened and was because one of the pilots in that battle was a high end Imperial Academy dropout. It's in Lost Stars.

I did get the impression the tow-cable attack was a novel tactic in Empire(Luke's lightsaber/grenade strike was likely equally novel). But the things still had numerous apparent flaws, and I don't believe I've seen evidence it could aim guns upward, or very FAR downward.

And the AT-ST was complete rubbish. :p

That trailer makes the movie seem less like an espionage story, and more like Jyn Erso's story, and not in a good way. I don't have any issue with the lead being female, but the archetype they chose for her just feels overdone these days with all the YA novels getting adapted to film.

Considering the point in the series story, and the serious tone of the content, I would have expected the main protagonist to be someone more elite and experienced (e.g. a squadron leader or pro spy), not a rebellious young loner getting thrust into an unfamiliar situation and saving the day. The writing and acting may totally vindicate the choice, but I am concerned the "snarky troublemaker" lead could weaken what's essentially a story about one of the franchise's historic, and very costly, acts of espionage. It was a serious point that many Bothans died to obtain this information.

I realize my criticisms could just as easily be leveled at ANH (farmboy saves galaxy), and I do feel it reflects some simplistic writing from decades ago, but would expect the characterization to be more appropriate to the content in this story. TFA did an excellent job with its characters, but Rogue One is worrying me a little.

Considering the point in the series story, and the serious tone of the content, I would have expected the main protagonist to be someone more elite and experienced (e.g. a squadron leader or pro spy), not a rebellious young loner getting thrust into an unfamiliar situation and saving the day. The writing and acting may totally vindicate the choice, but I am concerned the "snarky troublemaker" lead could weaken what's essentially a story about one of the franchise's historic, and very costly, acts of espionage. It was a serious point that many Bothans died to obtain this information.

What you're saying is... bring back Kyle Katarn?

I am onboard with this message.

Well it worked for The Force Awakens....

I would like to state for the record that many Bothans died obtaining information on the SECOND Death Star, not the first.

All we know now about how the first Death Star's plans came into Leia's possession is that rebel spaceships striking from a hidden base have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. We also know that during the fighting rebel spies managed to steal plans to the space station and then transmitted said plans to the Tantive IV and Princess Leia who was under the cover of a diplomatic mercy mission.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I would like to state for the record that many Bothans died obtaining information on the SECOND Death Star, not the first.

Many bothans died correcting this information.

All we know now about how the first Death Star's plans came into Leia's possession is that rebel spaceships striking from a hidden base have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. We also know that during the fighting rebel spies managed to steal plans to the space station and then transmitted said plans to the Tantive IV and Princess Leia who was under the cover of a diplomatic mercy mission.

We used to know that mercenary Kyle Katarn shot up an entire base in the process of securing those plans. But he isn't real anymore. :(

Well it worked for The Force Awakens....

What in particular are you referencing for TFA? The lead characters in that movie were a mystery Force user with a decade plus of salvage experience (and implied hereditary gifts), an elite pilot acknowledged as the best in the Resistance, and a conscript with years of training/knowledge of the Starkiller base.

The rap sheet in the Rogue One trailer (and the back-talk to Mon Mothma) makes the lead seem like a "punk teenager with authority issues" archetype. The supporting character "could you continue to fight? What will you become?" tagline sets this up like an origin story, but there's only one movie to work with. No chronologically appropriate sequels or spinoffs planned, no character reuse outside of EU content. In keeping with this being a Macross forum, it would be like compressing half of the original Macross series into a single movie about Hikaru's rise from disobedient stunt pilot to squad leader and undertaking a critical mission, a growth story that really needs some time to set up.

I think "captured former spy now working for us" would have been a better fit. Again, good writing may surprise me and bring it all together well, but I'm skeptical.

My bad, I stand corrected. Still serious business, regardless of the casualties not being a future point to conform to.

Many bothans died correcting this information. We used to know that mercenary Kyle Katarn shot up an entire base in the process of securing those plans. But he isn't real anymore. :(

Yeah, the one-person army works for video games, but not really in space opera.

Maybe the sting in the tail (tale?) will be Jyn Erso's death?

I have a bet going with a friend of mine that the vast majority of the team doesn't make it, or they all buy it but manage to get the data out somehow...

He thinks that Disney would never allow the killing of a female lead... he may have a point... but none-the-less I took him up on it.

the cost of admission and snacks to EpisodeVIII is on the line... :ph34r:

Yeah, the one-person army works for video games, but not really in space opera.

Honestly, I assumed the game was a dramatized version of events, and the actual theft involved something less than going toe-to-toe with seven thousand and three stormtroopers.

But I liked Katarn, and I wasn't alone given how he kept turning up in other things.

New trailer this Thursday . NBC Olympic coverage.

I wonder if it may be from Star Wars Celebration ?

Or perhaps an extended version of it?

Edited by troyness

Basically the wings are used for heat dispersion (in Legends):

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/6001/why-do-x-wings-change-wing-configuration

In the canon universe Wookipedia only mentions that they are used on the X-Wing fighters to give them a wider field of firing range:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/S-foils#cite_note-0

To me the U-wing looked like a flying tuning fork, until I saw its wings-deployed mode; now it reminds me of a collapsible clothes hanger... but in a good way, sort of...

The Shuttle is kind of meh; not as craptastic as Kylo Ren's in TFA, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Lambda Class.

The one that I really want to see more of is the TIE Striker. It looks slightly reminiscent of the TIE interceptor and has a passing resemblance to the TIE Phantom.

In the canon universe Wookipedia only mentions that they are used on the X-Wing fighters to give them a wider field of firing range:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/S-foils#cite_note-0

That's all well and good when you are going up against a bigger target (like a capital ship), but in dogfighting you want a narrower range of attack to really get the guy right in front of you. That or X-Wings should have a central blaster down the center line of the ship to help ensure that the pilot does not miss.

How good would it be if they used their variable capabilities the same way as Valks, constantly switching between modes. That would look great.