Rough Cell phone video of the Teaser for Rogue One at Celebration. Watch while you can!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8i579d_JI

Highlights from the panel include:

- Rogue One is an Anthology

- Shooting begins this summer

- Film is going to be a realistic war film

- Takes place between episode 3 & 4

- Absence of Jedi will be felt through out the film

- People involved also worked on popular war films such as Saving Private Ryan & BlackHawk Down

From here: http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Star_Wars_Rogue_One_Teaser_From_Star_Wars_Celebration_Anaheim_163779.asp

Chris

A little more info here including a sample of concept art:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/headlines/rogue-one-teaser-debuts-at-star-wars-celebration-details-of-first-star-wars-spin-off-film-revealed/

And here: http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2015/04/19/6-things-we-learned-about-rogue-one-today-at-star-wars-celebration/

So it is NOT a Rogue Squadron movie It's about stealing the DeathStar plans as was originally rumored.

Yeah the video sucks but it is supposedly going to be released in better quality soon according to that videos description.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I like the look of that vehicle in the concept art. Kind of like an A-wing crossed with a snowspeeder on steroids.

I do like the idea of the more serious tone that they want to take this movie. The Prquels went the other direction to be more kid friendly...the new trilogy hopefully, as it seems, to have captured the feel and tone of the Original trilogy. Now this will go in the other direction from Geoge's and be more grizzled. Sounds good to me. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Alright, I'm out of the loop, what is this? A game? A movie? I thought this was going to be the first spin-off movie, it's not?

Edit, found a news article, read... suspicions confirmed. Curious about the anthology vs standalone but I doubt it will matter.

Edited by jenius

Alright, I'm out of the loop, what is this? A game? A movie? I thought this was going to be the first spin-off movie, it's not?

Jenius, did you not read a single thing in this thread? :rolleyes:

Edited by Duke Togo

Jenius, did you not read a single thing in this thread? :rolleyes:

I was wondering the same thing lol! I posted 3 different links to news and info. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Rogue One isn't as interesting to me now that we know this.

I find that utterly baffling, but whatever.

That it's a team going after the Death Star plans isn't exactly new news. That's been heavily rumored for months.

New bit of news: Greig Fraser, who shot Zero Dark Thirty, is the cinematographer.

From /Film:

Rogue One is set in a time when the Jedi are basically extinct — there are no warriors with “magical powers” to save the day. “It’s about the fact that God’s not coming to save us,” said Edwards. “The absence of the Jedi hangs over the movie.”

Very interesting, I like it.

Also news of note, John Knoll, 30-year ILM veteran and Chief Creative Officer of the company originally came up with this idea and pitched it before the switch-over happened. After Kathleen Kennedy took over, she made this film's production a priority, and thus the spin-off films were born.

Edited by Duke Togo

Sounds good...

One question for the more knowledgeable SW fans....

When the the Rebels cartoon was announced....I was sort of annoyed that Yoda's famous last words to Luke about being the last of the Jedi were no longer true....

However, I'm guessing that just means that any Jedi we see portrayed onscreen now means they will die or be killed by the time Yoda utters those famous words....

Make sense?

That it's a team going after the Death Star plans isn't exactly new news. That's been heavily rumored for months.

New bit of news: Greig Fraser, who shot Zero Dark Thirty, is the cinematographer.

Basically what most of use hoped for was a Rogue Squadron film aka Top Gun/Iron Eagle in space. What we are getting instead is a story that has basically been done at least 4 different times between the video games, books, and comics.

Basically what most of use hoped for was a Rogue Squadron film aka Top Gun/Iron Eagle in space. What we are getting instead is a story that has basically been done at least 4 different times between the video games, books, and comics.

Actually, no I wouldn't want anything resembling either of those movies happening in the SW universe. If anything, I'd want to see nods to the X-Wing books, which were themselves based on the X-Wing computer game.

Partly what renegade said, this story has been done. They could focus on other things. Also poor decision to reuse the term Rogue when that has been long established to be about fighter jocks. But in addition there's these two things:

2. During this time the Jedi are all but extinct. A rogue band of resistance fighters unite to steal the Death Star plans and bring new hope to the galaxy.

3. Star Wars Rebels also takes place during this timeline. As the stories evolve they will be able to nod to each other.

You know, and, there's the Rebels show with all of those Jedi running about working with the Rebellion. How nice to establish one thing and then completely contradict it... with the potential for cross-overs! Somebody is really not tending this garden well.

I'm not quite sure how they contradict it. And I couldn't care less whether it was covered in the EU or not. Most it was was hardly at the level of fan fiction, and a goddamned embarrassment. And better yet, none of it means anything anymore. People of talent are tackling this story, and I'm jazzed for it.

And, btw, the original trilogy pretty much followed the exploits of a group of pilots. So yeah, Star Wars has done that before, too.

For the record, I also owned and loved Tie Fighter, and golded the hell out of Rogue Squadron. Lots of love there.

Edited by Duke Togo

Actually, no I wouldn't want anything resembling either of those movies happening in the SW universe. If anything, I'd want to see nods to the X-Wing books, which were themselves based on the X-Wing computer game.

I was doing that for Duke Togo's benefit so he could relate. Lets face it if I mentioned anything to do with the novels or expanded universe he would immediately claim they're garbage.

One thing I've been wondering about (the narration in the trailer brought it up):

Exactly how long was the Empire in power? 20 years? It started right before Luke was born, and he couldn't have been that old when he destroyed the Emperor.

One thing I've been wondering about (the narration in the trailer brought it up):

Exactly how long was the Empire in power? 20 years? It started right before Luke was born, and he couldn't have been that old when he destroyed the Emperor.

The Empire had ruled for 23 years at the time of the Battle of Endor.

And it was Manny Both-hands. :lol:

Who knows, this entire story might be establishing that the entire "Rogue" callsign might be in memoriam of someone or something.

As far as the remaining jedi are concerned, we've still got a while to see the bit about how Vader "helped the emperor hunt down and destroy the jedi knights." Rebels probably isnt going to have any kind of happy ending, but everyone should know that already. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

That wasn't hunting down, that was lightsabering fish in a barrel. :p

I'm thinking that in the years between episodes III and IV, there were probably a lot of individuals that had tried to hide, and got picked off slowly, by whatever means the Emperor thought prudent.

Good point. I'm sure not ALL of the Jedi were killed in the hour or so after Anakin made his completely implausible turn to the Dark side.

IIRC, Obi-Wan altered the recall signal to tell whoever was left to scatter. So there should be sime Jedi remaining, just in hiding.

Getting us right back where we were before the sequels, when we'd simply assumed there was a years-long hunt to ferret out and eliminate the jedi, because how could you possibly get an elite club of mind readers with telekinesis all pinned down long enough for a mass assassination attempt to go through?

That's why Yoda was hiding in a swamp untouched by civilization and Obi-Wan was hiding in a cave (with a box of scrap!) in the middle of the desert, just barely visible to what passed for civilization on Tatooine. Because while a jedi COULD kick back in the nicest clubs known to Coruscant, it wouldn't be long before Lord Vader came to have a few words with you.