How much do you have invested in your Macross collection?

w8kbrder

Macross Collection Total Investment Survey  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How much total do you have invested in your Macross toy collection?

• $0 - $500
    • $500 - $1000
    • $1000 - $2500
    • $2500 - $5000
    • $5000 - $7500
    • $7500 - $10,000
    • $10,000+

so yeah unless you're buying super rare or exotic item which can more or less guarantee you a worthy return in the future then no.. I haven't bought anything as an investment.. I only bought what I have because I wanted it!

the only investment that I expect to get a return on is the satisfaction of owning and enjoying the items I have spent money on.

I think Macross is a little different, as it's a niche with very avid, loyal and fairly rich collectors by most standards.

Will 1/60 yamato's be worth a lot of money in 20 years? Who knows. There will most definitely be a better version released in that time - but maybe there will be something about the Yamato's that collectors desire. People still buy original chunky monkeys and Tokatoku stuff for pretty high dollar.

I think they will age well, but you can always cash out some of your collection while prices are high if you're worried.

If I really needed cash in the next few years I'd sell a lot of Yammies and probably make a nice profit, but I don't plan on it or need to as I have plenty in the bank. You never know though.

I doubt that my money in the bank would earn as much as if I sold them all in a year or two.

As far as return on investments for collectibles, a lot of it depends on whether the franchise continues to be relevant. A lot of comic book and science fiction franchises have had remarkable staying power over the years. Star Wars is nearly 40 years, Star Trek is approaching 50, most of the Marvel Silver Age characters around 50, Superman and Batman are both 75 years old. If some of the 80s franchises can continue to produce material and gain new audiences, collectibles from older generations may still retain some value for newer fans that become die-hard collectors.

As for Macross, so long as Big West and Kawamori produce new TV shows and films, I think it'll do fine... in Japan. In the U.S. Macross will probably lose relevancy as kids from the 80s age. Robotech was a big factor in getting Macross popular in the U.S., and since Robotech is basically a dead franchise, and since it's impossible for most post-SDF Macross productions to be legally aired or distributed in the states, it's going to have a hard time gaining new fans younger than us.