How much do you have invested in your Macross collection?

w8kbrder

Macross Collection Total Investment Survey  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How much total do you have invested in your Macross toy collection?

• $0 - $500
    • $500 - $1000
    • $1000 - $2500
    • $2500 - $5000
    • $5000 - $7500
    • $7500 - $10,000
    • $10,000+

Did my wife put you up to this? I got everything on super sale super cheap! I can sell it all for what I bought it for... if not more! I don't ask you about how much you spend on your shih-tzus. [/defensive rant against imaginary wife inquiry]

Edited by jenius

Around $3k, Started late in the game. But.. but.. look honey, if I ever sell it I can get this much (proceeds to show evilbay listings to wife) Buwahaha! smileys-devil-719275.gif

Edited by wmkjr

I have 60 Valks at the moment and they have ranged from $150 all the way up to $600 each so that averages out to a considerable sum.. maybe one day I'll go through and properly value them all just for the shock value! :p:D

Edited by spanner76

If you average that out, it's still less than 20k and I'd say your collection is massive! Sure, that's a lot of money but it's nothing compared to some hobbies I know of.

I have 8 toys, and probably that many model kits. A tiny number compared to some of you guys here. They've cost me much to procure but I'm proud (and glad) to have them.

If I collected guns, cars, played sport often enough to consider it a hobby (golf costs, anyone), or did any number of other things many of my friends do, you can bet I'd have 10 times as much money invested.

Nice thread!

yeah its pretty crazy how quickly your hobbies and collections can tally up! Between the stuff I have collected so far, my motorbikes, computers etc etc its certainly right up there!

And its only been relatively recently that I re-jigged my home contents insurance so that everything is more than covered for. Makes me feel physically ill how I had it setup before and for so long..

Edited by spanner76

This is something I don't want to talk about... it makes me realize how much I spent even though I just have a few VF-1's and each of the Red and Black stripes Valks. And realizing also that most of my Valks were purchased after the initial releases. Meaning 'after market' prices. :unsure:

I find it funny how people state a price [or a ballpark] and then just go on to rationalize it [eg selling them all profit, how much you'd spend on other things etc]...

I'm estimating somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000-2500 USD? Realistically closer to 2000 I think. That includes shipping costs and [thankfully not that much] customs charges.

Then again, I had about 10-12 macross toys in total, never more than 7 at any given point, have since sold them all either for profit or for the same price.

Only ones I still have are a VF19Kai and a VF19S from Yamato.

Yeah - Mods - LOCK this thread.

I hate seeing it in the New Content listings even.

This question leads to LESS Macross collecting and support (if we had our heads on straight)

(and I think we know the answer there)

Edited by DarrinG

I have $0 dollars invested in my collection. I invest my money in financial or real estate products. Collecting and hobbies count as money spent without expectation of earning it back. If my toys went up in smoke, I'd be unhappy but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I have $0 dollars invested in my collection. I invest my money in financial or real estate products. Collecting and hobbies count as money spent without expectation of earning it back. If my toys went up in smoke, I'd be unhappy but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Yes you are right. It's money spent not invested. Well at least the stuff I have. I restarted collecting without the expectation of gaining a return on anything other than the satisfaction of physically owning the pieces. And if I ever went to sell any of it I'd lose money on a good 95% or more of it! There are a few items which I could probably sell for more than I initially paid for but I have never geared my purchasing that way. And besides I have no intention of selling anything off anyways! But if everything did go up in smoke I would definitely be heart broken as a great deal of passion and energy went into making the collection I have now but seeing its all fully insured the payout would definitely soften the blow! ;)

Edited by spanner76

This is a hard question, if you want you can click on the link in my sig and try to total it up LOL. I bought most of my collection at the more sane prices from web shops. Are you my wife? Kinda suspect with only 8 posts :p

My wife has tried to total up my collection of stuff that is on display, but I told her to just stop. There is no way I could tell her the true amount that I have spent over the years. Her value got pretty damn high just by estimating them at 100 a piece, but I know a lot of them were more than that plus all the shipping costs.

This is a hard question, if you want you can click on the link in my sig and try to total it up LOL. I bought most of my collection at the more sane prices from web shops. Are you my wife? Kinda suspect with only 8 posts :p

My wife has tried to total up my collection of stuff that is on display, but I told her to just stop. There is no way I could tell her the true amount that I have spent over the years. Her value got pretty damn high just by estimating them at 100 a piece, but I know a lot of them were more than that plus all the shipping costs.

I just had a quick look at your collection and its mighty impressive Loop! You have a good few doubles, triples and quadruples in there too! I'd love to get a few more doubles and triples myself too actually! But no room to display..

My former (long term ex, my sons mother) was always very critical of my spending on my hobbies and other interests in particular. Even though we were earning more than enough combined to live quite comfortably and worry free, she always felt it necessary to make an issue out of my hobbies which to be honest is nothing like it is now days! But if she wanted to spend some crazy money on say a Beatles vinyl album or some other music industry memorabilia for example then that was ok and I sure as hell couldn't make a fuss about that. I very much disliked the double standards which were at play during those times.

Im sure your wife has her own thing she is into and I assume you don't make a fuss about it towards her yes? If its your hobby and you enjoy doing it whilst all else is covered for then why make a fuss!? You only live once after all!

Hey Spanner, my wife is actually cool about it. I am not in debt in any way and all my matters are in good order. She never gives me any crap about it at all, we have watched every Macross show/movie together and she loves it. I just get nervous when she starts counting stuff up lol. I guess I am weird about people trying to put a value on my collection heh.

Hey Spanner, my wife is actually cool about it. I am not in debt in any way and all my matters are in good order. She never gives me any crap about it at all, we have watched every Macross show/movie together and she loves it. I just get nervous when she starts counting stuff up lol. I guess I am weird about people trying to put a value on my collection heh.

hehe! hmmm she might be cool about it but it also might be something in the back of her mind that gets stirred up from time to time! :p:D

Did a quick add-up, factoring in distributed shipping to the price of each piece and I've probably spent close to $4,600 including shipping/stands/extras.

That's for 16 VF-1's, 4 Destroids, 1 1/48, 1 vf-25, and 2 VF-11's.

Paid pretty close to MSRP or market value for all but the Super Ostrich and the Super Milia. BUT, I've also gotten some pretty amazing deals, like a Super Hik for $50 bucks, so it helps distribute the price of more expensive buys.

I'd like to go back and check all my figures in my emails at some point as I did it all off memory, but it should be fairly accurate.

Personally I think this is a healthy thread to have.

Everybody should take stock of costs and evaluate their spending habits.

I'm def. to a point where my Toy Collecting spending is on the back burner. Instead of spending 400-500 a month I'm only spending that about every 3 months - and I pretty much have my macross collection where I want it with space for a few new releases a year.

I love buying, selling, collecting, reviewing, searching, and discussing. It's a very active hobby for me, and I'm pretty confident if I had to cash it all in right now - I'd make a decent profit.

You should def. be comfortable with your Hobby.

Edited by Gakken85

There is one possible benefit to adding up the cost of collectibles/valuables and keeping a private record like dapro: if you intend to get insurance coverage this information will be important for a claim. It will be especially important in the unhappy event that some or all of a collection is stolen.

That aside, I'm with those who are uncomfortable with posting their spending habits in public. Frankly, it's no one's business.

There is one possible benefit to adding up the cost of collectibles/valuables and keeping a private record like dapro: if you intend to get insurance coverage this information will be important for a claim. It will be especially important in the unhappy event that some or all of a collection is stolen.

That aside, I'm with those who are uncomfortable with posting their spending habits in public. Frankly, it's no one's business.

Ditto! The reason I kept a spread sheet is for insurance purpose. I don't just collect macross, I also collect Masterpiece Transformers and sport cards\sport memorabilia. I am cover in case theft or fire.

I have to vote in the "I don't even want to know myself" category. :p

Though it does help that a significant portion of what I have was bought on clearance. I got a good number of my valks for under $100. Of course.. the stack of VF-19s I have kinda negates any savings from that. :lol:

Agree about the insurance total though, if you start picking up enough stuff, it can be important to pin down a value. And with some of the pieces becoming more rare, you might not be able to use the retail price anymore.

Edited by Chronocidal