Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Battaroid Mode!【VF-2SS Valkyrie】Macross II
Finally grabbed at reasonable price, within 1 gold cow...
Not bad for Battaroid mode~
2016-03-17-23.42.34.jpg

Great group shot!...it really holds its own against the other 1/60 VFs....

Love that group picture shot, various generations of Valkyries in one place.

For the faults that it does have the VF-2SS earned a bad reputation right away. If you do the nail polish trick or what I'm going to do (magnets) Fighter mode is fixed, Gerwalk and Battroid are solid, this Valk is fairly poseable, it's no V,2 VF-1 but it's no brick or 1/55 either,

For Evolution Toys first real attempt at a Variable Toy they did a good job. Would a version 2.0 of this toy be a great concept, you bet it would. For now I'm happy with mine, in fact I have Nexx's 2SS and Silvies SAP on PO. If you're still on the fence about getting one I say do it, especially if you're a fan of the 2SS!!

I think that this bird looks better when the legs are bent into the fast pack position like in these pics. It gives it a more aggressive stance and the legs don't extend as far out the back. Otherwise they just seem too long, wide and angle outwards. Mine stays together pretty well without having had to coat any of the tabs. Add some decals and light panel lining and it looks spiffy.

post-168-0-56304400-1458265228_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-82870200-1458265254_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-17671700-1458265280_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-31939300-1458265300_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-22032800-1458265316_thumb.jpg

I think that this bird looks better when the legs are bent into the fast pack position like in these pics. It gives it a more aggressive stance and the legs don't extend as far out the back. Otherwise they just seem too long, wide and angle outwards. Mine stays together pretty well without having had to coat any of the tabs. Add some decals and light panel lining and it looks spiffy.

STP64431.JPG

Loving the last photo. :wub:

Gundam, you got it for less than a gold cow??!! for those outside HK, it is about 120..

Battaroid Mode!【VF-2SS Valkyrie】Macross II

Finally grabbed at reasonable price, within 1 gold cow...

Not bad for Battaroid mode~

http://gundamatefsf.blogspot.hk/2016/03/battaroid-modevf-2ss-valkyriemacross-ii.html

2016-03-17-23.24.04.jpg

2016-03-17-23.42.34.jpg

http://gundamatefsf.blogspot.hk/2016/03/battaroid-modevf-2ss-valkyriemacross-ii.html]2016-03-17-23.37.17.jpg

These photos make it look sooo much better, probably would have kept my pre-order if the pics on HLJ and amiami looked like this. But hearing that it's similar to the old 1/72 yamato (quality wise) is unfortunate. I remember my vf-11b 1/72, Leg snapped off as soon as I took it out of the box.

I'm going to guess 1/55...it's actually made out of wood. It was carved by emodelairplanes on ebay. This was a looooong time ago when still waiting for something bigger than the old 1/100 Bandai kit!

Thanks Bobby! It looks anime accurate somehow than the EvoToys. ;)

Are there any durability concerns with this toy? I've always liked the VF-2SS, but for one thing. The chest piece sticks up and gets in the way of the head's vision. But I do rather like it and kinda want one.

A lot of members here already posted some issues and fixes on this toy. It's not 100% perfect but most so far says they like it in gerwalk and battroid modes. Check a few pages back. As for the chest tabs kinda remind us of those VF-0 tanks in battroid mode. ;)

Edited by no3ljm

Got an new unopened one from Mandarake. Opened it up and the legs were not locked in fighter mode. Played with trying to lock it up until i decided it was virtually impossible. Started transforming it to gerwalk and right away 2 screw covers from the upper thighs fell out. Gerwalk mode wasn't that great either. Continued one to battroid which as others have said is this toys most decent mode. For some reason one leg seems shorter than the other. Both legs seem to extended to the same distance. I can only make him stand by spreading the legs to an a stance. Even though those swing bars are metal, they are attached to long plastic pieces. With the amount of movement and stress those swing bars exert on those pieces, i wouldn't be surprised if they break down the road. Not being able to hold the gun decently is annoying too.

Well, VF-5SS's review of the toy kinda sealed it. It seems like Evolution went about designing this toy in a very ham-fisted way, while some things were clever, others were not. I'm kinda disappointed, since Macross II was my first introduction to a "real" Macross production. Throughout the review I kept hearing my brain say, maybe Bandai could do it better, lets hope they actually do a HMR.

I put some clear nailpolish on the backside of the intake section holes for locking in fighter (like 2 applications). Now the legs stay locked in fighter, sweet. Gerwalk is pretty solid as long as you lock the other uper intake holes with the pull-down tabs on the back of the chest. Ratcheting joints on the swing bars would have done wonders for the toy.

My worry is all the tabs. I still have nightmares of the back tabs from the Yamato VB-6 breaking and the thing becoming a floppy mess. Locking tabs are not a good way to go as there usually ends up being too much stress on the tab. Especially if the tab is inserted into a hole rather than using a small divot and some other mechanism for keeping things rigid.

Overall I still like the toy. I wouldn't pay $200 for it without the SAP.