Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

I dunno how much bearing this will have on the VF-2SS toy, but here is my review of Evolution Toy's Big Dai X figure. It's from their Dynamite Action line and features some degree of transformation. Hopefully this will give everyone an idea of what their toys are like.

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2014/big_dai_x

Josh also reviewed their Albegas (Gladiator Voltron) which also converts a little bit.

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2014/albegas

I'm not much of anything resembling a serious collector, so to me, as long as it doesn't break when you transform it (or look at it too hard...or right out of the box) and looks fairly decent compared to the lineart (this isn't great but it could be worse), I'd consider it. As we all seem to universally agree though, for the price they're asking it's a hard sell for some of us, and I'm one of those who've actually hoped for the VF-2SS. My first reaction was excitement to see someone bothering with this bird at all.

Basically, lineart issues aside, it's this post from VF5SS that concerns me. The Albegas review sounds like Evolution Toy did a great job with it, but the Big Dai X is worrying. Middling detail work, small but numerous painting mistakes, ugly prominent seams and -- ouch -- three different figures suffering completely different breakages; that doesn't bode terribly well. Checking out the rest of the reviews of Evolution Toy's products on there is somewhat reassuring: they mostly sound very spot-on and include numerous option parts, attack effects, and so on, so I wonder if that suggests a good likelihood for the SAP with this one. But that just makes it all the more worrying that the Big Dai X is so lackluster for being one of their more recent releases. It could just be the one design/production run that had really bad QC, which can certainly happen. It's still enough of a concern that I doubt I'd muster a preorder no matter how much I want the VF-2SS. I'll wait until someone's actually gotten their hands on the finished product to be able to tell us about it first.

It's just an enlarged version of the Bandai/B-Club VF-2SS model.

You're right, look at those big ugly blocks holding up the smaller intakes/stabilizers. And they don't even fit down against the fighter body.

As long as it locks together well, is not a froppy mess, and doesn't self-destruct ala the 171, I'll be happy just to finally get a transforming VF-2SS toy after 23 years of waiting. Even though the sculpt is not perfect. I'm not gonna nit pick too much.

• 2 weeks later...

i bet those ankles have ball joints.

I doubt that it will have by looking at the pictures on Page 1. The ankle area is too tight to have a ball joint. I'm guessing same approach as VF-1's. Pull and open.

After some further consideration i might hold off a purchase on this thing until others have theirs in hand and post up their thoughts. I do like it but at this stage im not loving it. I know its only been shown in prototype stages but it still looks incomplete and or inaccurate to me. Even though the VF2 has had a good chunk of air time I still think a VF3000 or VF5000 would have been a better product path to have chosen. But i guess we'll just see how this things pans out..

Edited by spanner76

Evolution Toys mainly release diecast toys, quality is quite good. I have their Zero Tester. They are quite small for the price tag though.

From the pics this ain't a model kit. Most likely comes with diecast parts.

Regarding the tab on the top, you can always cut it if it bothers you so much.

Evolution Toys mainly release diecast toys, quality is quite good. I have their Zero Tester. They are quite small for the price tag though.

Sure, I'd cut a tab off of a $50 toy....maybe. This guy is way too expensive to suggest cutting off tabs.

My jaw dropped in front of Evolution Toy's rep at the show.

The rep also informed me it will have die-cast elements. I believe they were trying to say Variable Type and not "Valiable Model", they also spelled Battroid wrong. Two other things to consider. 1, Evolution Toys have never made a model kit and 2, nobody is ever going to charge 25,000 yen for a plastic kit.

I will have allot more to say once we record the next podcast.

So uh, when are we gonna get that report? It's been a while...

Guess the tab is there for a 'purpose'. And you can't just cut it unless you want the parts to be loose upon transformation. The way I see it on the picture, the tab is somehow or will be connected to the back part area in Fighter mode. It's just a bother to some since it's exposed. Hope they find a way to fix that or redesign the tabs for transformation.

Or in this case - just SAP : /

+1 :rolleyes:

Edited by no3ljm

I have to say, I haven't been as excited about a Valk toy in a long, long time.

I passed on the Ozma YF-29, the Percival, the VF-0D, the Arcadia VF-1J w/GBP, the greenie VF-27, the RVF-171 and the 171 girly markings version.

Only recent Valk I've been mildly excited about and preordered is the VF-19 Advanced.

However, I'm hugely excited about the VF-2SS. Really wanted someone to make a transforming toy of this for so long.

Anyway, this thread needs some new pictures.

Graham

I have to say, I haven't been as excited about a Valk toy in a long, long time.

I passed on the Ozma YF-29, the Percival, the VF-0D, the Arcadia VF-1J w/GBP, the greenie VF-27, the RVF-171 and the 171 girly markings version.

Only recent Valk I've been mildly excited about and preordered is the VF-19 Advanced.

However, I'm hugely excited about the VF-2SS. Really wanted someone to make a transforming toy of this for so long.

Anyway, this thread needs some new pictures.

For all the Valk's you passed on, the VF-0D surprises me. That one seemed like it was right up your alley. Any yes, Evolution Toys needs to tease us with some new pics quickly!!

Edited by 505thAirborne

I feel the same way. With only so much room, I'm only likely to buy a few variations of any one valk at most, and my willingness to double dip on 2.0/3.0/4.0 whatever is a little limited unless there's just no comparison (I only own 2.0 VF-1s, but I'm perfectly happy with the 1.0 Bandai VF-25s and the original 1/60 YF-19, etc) but this is an instant pre-order for me the second I'm able to, and I honestly don't care how flawed the design might be, simply because it exists, and it's the one valkyrie I had legitimately began to think would never, ever happen.

But MII was what got me into Macross and mecha anime (as opposed to robotech or transformers) in the first place, and it will always have a special place in my heart. Any chogokin-quality large scale transforming toy of it at all is enough to give me vapors. I want more pics, I want to own this, and it's hard for me to even contain that excitement for it.