Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Here is a "venting my disappointment"...video I did last week when I received this lovely Vf-2SS."... For anyone still undecided, might help you make your mind up. ( at least for collector who like the VFs in Fighter mode...). No transformation.

As I had filmed it I though I might as well post it.

Whatever....here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foG-nNQUtUk&feature=em-upload_owner

Only thing that was done to the Vf when it was filmed was the panel lines.... Have since started putting decals etc (not using the crappy stickers included with it...they are huge!!! Made for a 1/55! Not 1/60....). It's already starting to look a bit better.

With a bit of luck though, looks like the price will go down drastically...I'll then pick up 1 or 2 just for 'painting fun'. -_-

Dude.

That was an excellent mini-review critique!

Really enjoyed and appreciated your bluntness and frankness about this ET product in it.

You really oughta do more video toy-critiques...

LOL..small potato i.e. small fry..i.e. grunt...i.e. CF ....and no i dont thk he meant mr potato.. ^_^

Oh. I didn't know that. :blink: Sorry about my ignorance regarding Potato term. :rolleyes:

Now I have a reason to cancel my Faerie SAP preorder. :lol:

Edited by no3ljm

He looks good in Fighter mode with some stickers. Mine was very solid and now is completely solid with the use of some nail polish in the connectors (we haven't future in my country).

Yeah, we don't have Future here either, so I'll probably try nail polish on the connectors too.

Some people have suggested using superglue, but that makes me very nervous.

Yeah, we don't have Future here either, so I'll probably try nail polish on the connectors too.

Super glue can be dangerous because I saw how some plastic types react to the chemicals in the glue (i.e. the glue smelts the plastic). I've now of one accident involving transparent plastic on a Transformers Animated toy but better save than sorry I guess. :)

It's fine with the nail polish, aply it in the sides of the connectors holes and let dry some hours, after this, the connectors will fit very solid.

Edited by tomac66

What really breaks my heart about the quality of the plastic and finishing is when I see what other small companies are putting out these days, like Sentinel.

I MUST have a VF-2SS in my collection, maybe just not this one.

Edited by arbit

Here is a "venting my disappointment"...video I did last week when I received this lovely Vf-2SS."... For anyone still undecided, might help you make your mind up. ( at least for collector who like the VFs in Fighter mode...). No transformation.

As I had filmed it I though I might as well post it.

Whatever....here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foG-nNQUtUk&feature=em-upload_owner

Only thing that was done to the Vf when it was filmed was the panel lines.... Have since started putting decals etc (not using the crappy stickers included with it...they are huge!!! Made for a 1/55! Not 1/60....). It's already starting to look a bit better.

With a bit of luck though, looks like the price will go down drastically...I'll then pick up 1 or 2 just for 'painting fun'. -_-

Thanks for the review. Your Macross Factory looks great. Is it a custom of the Kotobukiya base, or just painted? Could you provide a link to more images?

Edited by arbit

What really breaks my heart about the quality of the plastic and finishing is when I see what other small companies are putting out these days, like Sentinel.

I MUST have a VF-2SS in my collection, maybe just not this one.

The tragedy there is that their ZOE toys are brilliant, more so than the Revoltechs, but sadly, less zoomable. I'm always nervous taking my Jehuty from the stand, and didn't take the plunge on an Anubis.

For those that have this, is the plastic the same as the Arcadia VF-4G, Yamato 1/60 ver 2 or Yamato 1/48? If not, any comparable toys out there?

None of the above, feels almost like an unfinished model kit. Some clear (flat or Matte) coat would give this a more professional look. If the other companies plastic rates 3 or 4 stars, the VF-2SS gets a 2.5 star rating IMO. Not crappy just not as nice as were used to with Yamato-Arcadia & Bandai.

None of the above, feels almost like an unfinished model kit. Some clear (flat or Matte) coat would give this a more professional look. If the other companies plastic rates 3 or 4 stars, the VF-2SS gets a 2.5 star rating IMO. Not crappy just not as nice as were used to with Yamato-Arcadia & Bandai.

When you say unfinished 'model kit', can you say which brand of model kit to compare? I know Bandai's GunPla plastic is different from Revell's plastic. Revell's plastic is different also from Tamiya plastic. Tamiya plastic is also different from Hasegawa plastic, and so on and so forth. Can you confirm if it's a little bit of a thicker side or brittle side for plastics? Thanks in advance. ^_^

When you say unfinished 'model kit', can you say which brand of model kit to compare? I know Bandai's GunPla plastic is different from Revell's plastic. Revell's plastic is different also from Tamiya plastic. Tamiya plastic is also different from Hasegawa plastic, and so on and so forth. Can you confirm if it's a little bit of a thicker side or brittle side for plastics? Thanks in advance. ^_^

When I touch the wings and legs of my VF-2SS my first though is the old Revell F-14 Tomcats or F-15 kits I've had... Testors F-5 comes to mind too, the plastic just has that smooth shiny appearance... not exactly perfect, Some primer, good paint and clearcoat and everything looks finished. That's the best way I describe it short of making a Video.

The plastic ET used is by no means Brittle but it does feel thinner than what Bandai has used on its Frontier DX (renewals) toys and what Arcadia uses. It's just thin enough you'll notice when you touch it. Again this is all my opinion.

All the above said I've already transformed Silvie 6 times and no issues at all!! B))

Edited by 505thAirborne

Or better yet...you're an old school guy......remember Joon's KO VF-1 plastic?

Good gawd.... those were generically hideous! Even some of Hasbro Transformers classics line where somewhat better. I was hoping the plastic would feel and look like the Arcadia VF-4G 1/60 or Yamato/Arcadia VF-1s V2 1/60.

I'm tempted to get the VF-2SS Nexx but with this plastic quality and finish I just can't justify their MSRP

For me it's not the plastic quality or finish that is the deal breaker, its the poor locking of the tabs in fighter mode.

I'll try clear nail polish on this at the weekend and see if it helps.

I have some Nail polish in front of me, fingers crossed!!

^ Scratch that ^, Nail polish seems to work quite well. Just swooshed Silvie around and nothing popped out! Fighter Mode is all good now!! :D

Edited by 505thAirborne

For me it's not the plastic quality or finish that is the deal breaker, its the poor locking of the tabs in fighter mode.

I'll try clear nail polish on this at the weekend and see if it helps.

Makes sure you let the polish harden for 24 hours.

In any case I find that the polish ends up crumbling.

The best long term solution is a clear gloss paint on those tabs.

What was total USD if purchased at amiami, or definitive lowest price from one of the Japanese outlets.. because i am about to pull the trigger on $190 amiami via ebay.

Thanks.

Right now AmiAmi has it for 20,500 which converts at $180.40 USD. Estimate EMS as 4,000 or $35.20. That's a little high but good enough for an estimate. So, $215.60. Then there's the currency conversion fee which is about 3% on everything I use. So add, $6.47. So guesstimate at about $220 total.

Good gawd.... those were generically hideous! Even some of Hasbro Transformers classics line where somewhat better. I was hoping the plastic would feel and look like the Arcadia VF-4G 1/60 or Yamato/Arcadia VF-1s V2 1/60.

I'm tempted to get the VF-2SS Nexx but with this plastic quality and finish I just can't justify their MSRP

The shiny finish of the VF-2SS is what basically makes it look more toy-like, then model-like.....so it does not have the look of a Yamato or recent Bandai....

I think the price is unfortunately based on how few of these are being made and the fact that not too many people feel they really need a VF-2SS in their 1/60 collection....for what it is and based on the high probability that no one else will make another one at this scale...I think the price is fair.....(there is the teased HMR VF-2SS, but that is going to be in the 1/100-ish scale, plus we still don't know if it will be sold....probably not until the last SDFM/DYRL mecha is released in that line)....

As many have now verified, the VF-2SS is extremely solid in Battroid and Gerwalk....there is no way the SAP is going to be an issue in either of those two modes......plus it is going to look intimidating in Battroid.......

I really do not think it will be an issue in fighter mode either, but due to Evolution Toys most likely not doing much to improve the fit in fighter mode....at this point I can only hope that the armor itself will provide some better fitting connection points that the bare naked fighter did not.....and hopefully make it one big solid piece.....a fool's hope, but a hope nonetheless....

If you are on the fence, you can probably wait until it is released.....there will be plenty of commentary on it when it gets into our collective hands....and it seems that there will be no mass rush to get it at this point, so you should be safe from not being able to get one during the couple of weeks post-release...

Stay tuned I guess....

Edited by jvmacross

I think the price is unfortunately based on how few of these are being made and the fact that not too many people feel they really need a VF-2SS in their 1/60 collection....for what it is and based on the high probability that no one else will make another one at this scale...I think the price is fair.....(there is the teased HMR VF-2SS, but that is going to be in the 1/100-ish scale, plus we still don't know if it will be sold....probably not until the last SDFM/DYRL mecha is released in that line)....

From what I gather in RJ-forum about ET's reputation, all of their toys ar overpriced with always suspect qualities regardless if it's niche robots or popular robots like Go Nagai's,,,

From what I gather in RJ-forum about ET's reputation, all of their toys ar overpriced with always suspect qualities regardless if it's niche robots or popular robots like Go Nagai's,,,

Yes, I think others here have also said the same things....however, it also seems that ET has built itself as the purveyor of mecha/robot designs/characters that other players don't touch/produce.....so for better or worse, the VF-2SS certainly falls into that category....Macross II has always been the black sheep of the Macross franchise...and unless Bandai or Arcadia change their views on it, in terms of return on investment, the DX scale license will probably remain in the hands of the ET's of the world...