Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

If these ever go 75% off clearance, I might just do that. :D

I'd say at least 50% by Black Friday....unless the retailers can't wait that long....no idea how they could release the green stripe version...I doubt it....probably just a custom for display only....

Not sure how they think they could pull off the Legioss....

^^^ 50% off for Silvie and I'll think about it. As for the green stripe 2SS that is a shame as it may not see the light of day if this keeps up quality wise. As for their Legioss, we can only hope someone from Bandai or Arcadia stopped by to offer some skilled advice.

^^^ As for their Legioss, we can only hope someone from Bandai or Arcadia stopped by to offer some skilled advice.

Arcadia and Bandai reps:

Wait...after the VF-2SS debacle...you guys can't possibly think collectors will buy more of your crap!?

ET rep: Why yes...yes we do...and yes they will!!!

Arcadia and Bandai reps:

Wait...after the VF-2SS debacle...you guys can't possibly think collectors will buy more of your crap!?

ET rep: Why yes...yes we do...and yes they will!!!

And they are right! XD

They are not great, but as long as they do not implode out of the box, they are good enough to display next to any Bandai DX or Yamato 1/60. ^_^

Those pics posted earlier probably were the aftermath of someone dropping it on the ground.....and in all fairness, that could happen to a Bandai or Yamato. ;)

They are not great, but as long as they do not implode out of the box, they are good enough to display next to any Bandai DX or Yamato 1/60. ^_^

Those pics posted earlier probably were the aftermath of someone dropping it on the ground.....and in all fairness, that could happen to a Bandai or Yamato. ;)

Um...A quick search for the images sh9000 posted will get you to the twitter feed source. The user got a defective copy. It was NOT an accident. Yeah, it can happen with any manufacturer (see Arcadia for recent evidence), but no one has to put up with it. <_<

https://twitter.com/MACROSS00000072/status/759678917842128896

For me, Silvie has gone on a journey to w4573.bin, never to return. This was one of the few toys that I was that disappointed with after receiving it in hand.

No sarcasm or anything intended, the Evolution VF-2's must look much better in person and the pictures (everyone of them that I've ever seen here, or elsewhere) and must not do the toy any justice.

Understood aesthetics are a matter of preference, but I would not display them based on what I've seen.

No comment on the breakages, because yes that could have been from an accident or user error or whatever, but the pictures give the impression that's straight out of the box - which is early-ish (up to the first run of 1/60 v2) Yamato level of quality.

*edit - techoblue got to the bottom of that

Count me in the camp of hoping for a much improved version or another company to pick the design up. I'm not a huge fan of Mac II but I can and often am easily convinced to buy more toys. B))

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

This I agree with, I've had at least 4 Yamato's break on me and 2 Bandai's. Even my VF-0D from Arcadia has a loose Knee joint. None of these companies are exempt from QC issues.

I'd still give ET a chance before anything Toynami (Minus there Beta fighter).

It's fine if people like what ET has done. Don't get me wrong. But, I think there is room for something much better and I don't want to spend anymore money on this rendition as it is. As i was reminded recently by our very own ChaoticYeti, opinion can't really trump experience in these discussions. Some people will have bad experiences and get turned off to a toy and others like what they have in hand and want to see more of it. That's okay.

But I really can't compare this to Toynami. ;) My only experience with Toynami is the Masterpiece Shadow Fighter. It was loose, but not as loose and janky as my VF-2SS. I would rank the Shadow Fighter much higher. :p

Um...A quick search for the images sh9000 posted will get you to the twitter feed source. The user got a defective copy. It was NOT an accident. Yeah, it can happen with any manufacturer (see Arcadia for recent evidence), but no one has to put up with it. <_<

https://twitter.com/MACROSS00000072/status/759678917842128896

For me, Silvie has gone on a journey to w4573.bin, never to return. This was one of the few toys that I was that disappointed with after receiving it in hand.

I cannot say the entire new batch is doomed on the basis of one twit post....if it becomes a pattern, then that is another story.....maybe the guy isn't lying....maybe he is....All I know is I have never seen any collectible in that state of QC failure straight out of the box without even being handled, transformed, played with, etc...

No sarcasm or anything intended, the Evolution VF-2's must look much better in person and the pictures (everyone of them that I've ever seen here, or elsewhere) and must not do the toy any justice.

Understood aesthetics are a matter of preference, but I would not display them based on what I've seen.

No comment on the breakages, because yes that could have been from an accident or user error or whatever, but the pictures give the impression that's straight out of the box - which is early-ish (up to the first run of 1/60 v2) Yamato level of quality.

*edit - techoblue got to the bottom of that

Count me in the camp of hoping for a much improved version or another company to pick the design up. I'm not a huge fan of Mac II but I can and often am easily convinced to buy more toys. B))

-b.

there have been plenty of pics showing the VF-2SS next to a variety of other VFs from Bandai and Yamato/Arcadia....appearance-wise it holds it's own and fits right in....it is basically a "set it and forget it" display piece......do not even think about transforming it too many times or you are asking for trouble.....I wanted a VF-2SS in my collection, and until a better one comes along....this ET version does a good enough job for me....

gallery_12176_633_1571452.jpg

....that, however, has nothing to do with it's quality, which obviously cannot hold up to anything other than maybe a toynami.....it is what it is....I cannot make any arguments in its defense for the QC, build, or engineering that went into it...or didn't.....but I give credit to ET for having the ballz for even attempting to make it.....A+ for dreaming it.......F- for execution...

And I do hope the HMR version doesn't turn into more Bandai vaporware...we all could use more Macross II in our collections .... ^_^

I cannot say the entire new batch is doomed on the basis of one twit post....if it becomes a pattern, then that is another story.....maybe the guy isn't lying....maybe he is....All I know is I have never seen any collectible in that state of QC failure straight out of the box without even being handled, transformed, played with, etc...

Hey, that's fine. I don't think anyone is trying to force you in any one direction. Me, the reason I'm being so hard on the VF-2SS is because it is a Valkyrie that I had high hopes for. I tried to live with the little disappointments, but I just couldn't. I then waited for news of the subsequent releases. Seeing the early photos of the improvements in this thread is not giving me much hope. I don't see any improvements that call me back to the design.

I guess it's time for me to move on to the next thing. Luckily, I'm patient.

As for the author of the twitter post, it doesn't really matter to me what his intentions are or if he is being devious. I was simply pointing out what he posted.

Edited by technoblue

I love how the USPS has left $600 packages at my sidewalk without even knocking. Or they've dropped $300 packages requiring signature confirmation off at the office without a signature.

But when someone is home and ready to accept the package. They say "no authorized recipient available" without even knocking OR even leaving a note and tell me I have until August 8 to pick up the item or it will be shipped back. The only way I even know a delivery was allegedly attempted is to look at the tracking information on the web. And since the online instructions say the place to arrange a pickup is listed on my notice slip, I have no way of knowing which office I need to contact.

Oh, and they don't even update it until after the local post offices are closed, and then claim the delivery attempt was made at 3 and a half hours ago.

Oh, but the other USPS package that arrived today? That was delivered fine. No problem delivering that one to my door.

I love how the USPS has left $600 packages at my sidewalk without even knocking. Or they've dropped $300 packages requiring signature confirmation off at the office without a signature.

But when someone is home and ready to accept the package. They say "no authorized recipient available" without even knocking OR even leaving a note and tell me I have until August 8 to pick up the item or it will be shipped back. The only way I even know a delivery was allegedly attempted is to look at the tracking information on the web. And since the online instructions say the place to arrange a pickup is listed on my notice slip, I have no way of knowing which office I need to contact.

Oh, and they don't even update it until after the local post offices are closed, and then claim the delivery attempt was made at 3 and a half hours ago.

Oh, but the other USPS package that arrived today? That was delivered fine. No problem delivering that one to my door.

That means it's time to put those security cam outside that gives you notification in your smart phone. That way, you'll know what they're doing outside your front door. If not, you can just use your work address since they can leave the packages in the reception area or something.

No good news I'm afraid....

gallery_12176_633_280965.jpg

More pics and commentary to follow.....

Honest commentaries are always welcome, jvmacross. ;)

I'm expecting my SAP stand-alone set probably tomorrow since it already left SFO Customs based on the USPS tracking app.

I think i am a sucker for the vf-2ss, though after getting the sylvie version with all its flaws, i still got the sap for it, as i felt the valk needed it, the quality of the plastic is really something like a model kit and one of my missile covers even broke off when i tried to open them.

post-5131-0-56084000-1470275895_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Guyffon

Good to know about the missiles, my SAP should be here tomorrow.

Oh. That's my comment on Guyffon's post. Mine should be here tomorrow too. Or Friday. But hopefully tomorrow it will arrive at work since I'm taking a time off on Friday.

Part 1:

Basically, nothing really has been improved on the VF-2SS Faerie Squadron Type over the Silvie Gena version previously released.

With two exceptions. Two insignificant exceptions really. And one of them blows up anyways just as the last one did without the "improvement".

The first change was the ability for the valk to hold onto it's gun. It seems there may have been some tweaking to the hand mold as it does a better job that the hands of the Silvie version....

gallery_12176_633_11805.jpg

...it is still not perfect, but it holds the gun better than before....

The second "improvement" is in the tailfins.....to everyone who has the Silvie, you were most likely frustrated (probably the least of the concerns) with how the tailfins would barely "lock" in place with the poor fitting tabs.....

On the Faerie version, they added a groove into the tab that holds the position somewhat "better".....however, what little improvement this offers on this Faerie Squadron VF-2SS is quickly....and by that I mean after just a few handlings....offset by the fact that the tailwings will easily come apart from the ball joint connection.....mine was so bad that I just gave up and removed them entirely....they are pointless and barely noticable when in gerwalk or battroid...and definitely unneccesary once the SAP is mounted.....sorry if the groove is not easy to see in the pic...but it is there....and not there in the Silvie.....

gallery_12176_633_152986.jpg

As with the Silvie VF-2SS....the biggest failure in the design is the complete lack of any tabs or locking mechanism strong enough to keep the arms/legs connected while in fighter mode.....

Sadly, this failure is continued with the SAP armor parts used in this same area...the connection between the arms and the legs.....

There is NOTHING......NADA.....that holds the arms and legs together in SAP mode......why? to those that will eventually get your SAP or SAP combos....you can easily see how this could have easily been achived...this bird is not going for any prizes in lineart accuracy...so adding some kind of brace that would connect the legs armor to the arm armor would have been greatly appreciated.....I am sure someone could easily come up with something via shapeways to "fix" this problem....

No tabs....not even crappy ones!

gallery_12176_633_312605.jpg

gallery_12176_633_406005.jpg

gallery_12176_633_438691.jpg

gallery_12176_633_110462.jpg

...Perhaps I missed something and there are some tabs there.....some magical tabs that will hold everything together! :rolleyes:

So basically, the hope that maybe ET would have at least figured out a way to make the fighter mode more solid via the SAP armor has been squandered.

Woo-hoo! My VF-2SS NEXX is on the way..

But I'm filled with both trepidation and excitment. I have the Silvia VF-2SS but I've not opened it yet but will open this one. But reading JVmacross' comment is not making me feel good about this....

Wait. Only jvmacross' comment gave you that feeling? Did you check back atleast 10 pages? Almost people who bought it Silvie including me were not satisfied the moment we opened the box. Hehehe. :lol:

Part 2:

So, lets just move on.....

Like the Silvie plain valk....it looks good dressed up in the SAP armor in certain display positions. The SAP is decent enough...it does lack detail, but it matches the amount of detail of the valk it is being mounted on.....basically it looks like a non-detailed model kit....

The SAP has some cool features, like opening missile bays, arm armor gun storage gimmick, rotating bits and pieces, etc......

gallery_12176_633_184675.jpg

gallery_12176_633_57057.jpg

gallery_12176_633_315770.jpg

gallery_12176_633_474124.jpg

gallery_12176_633_418463.jpg

I would suggest to use an x-acto knife blade to open all of the small hatches and missile bays.....they are kind of tight and seem very fragile.....

Part 3:

I basically just transformed it into gerwalk mode from fighter and added the SAP armor....like the previous Silvie version.....the transformation process was an excercise in patience and frustation.....keep at it....you'll eventually get it all put together...just be very careful with it.....

I have to say...it looks very menacing with the SAP armor on it.....even the gerwalk, which was IMO the worst mode, looks pretty good with the SAP mounted.....

gallery_12176_633_141978.jpg

gallery_12176_633_160607.jpg

gallery_12176_633_470345.jpg

gallery_12176_633_242372.jpg

gallery_12176_633_26209.jpg

I am really liking gerwalk mode with the SAP armor......I guess I can consider this an improvement over the non-SAP equipped version.....maybe I am trying too hard to come up with something nice to say....but no....gerwalk mode really does look better to me with the SAP......

Part 4:

As before, the fighter look good only in certain angles....mainly any angle that does not expose the underside mess......

gallery_12176_633_341426.jpg

gallery_12176_633_99774.jpg

gallery_12176_633_219009.jpg

gallery_12176_633_303290.jpg

gallery_12176_633_270367.jpg

gallery_12176_633_355671.jpg

gallery_12176_633_469023.jpg

If you have the Silvie....this one is basically the same thing....the failures are in the same locations.....there are no significant improvements in the fit.....but the SAP does make it look better....it will make a nice display piece in the mode that you finally decide to leave it in.....but make sure you decide quickly and do not transform it too many times because I do not think it will hold up to too many transformations......

Based on the Silvie, I am sure the battroid mode will be the most solid mode once again.....I will take some pics of it in battroid once I have taken some time to get over the disappointment of this release....the SAP Armor could have been designed so that it would work in holding the fighter mode much tighter....but for whatever reason ET opted to do nothing.......

Final assessment......looks great with the SAP in gerwalk and fighter......pick a mode and then "set it and forget it".....still looks good among other 1/60-ish valks.....

Until the ultimate 1/60 DX is released......this is still the only game in town if you want to "display" one among the rest of the 1/60 valks in your collection.....