Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Finally get to enjoy my VF-2SS in fighter mode! B))

Last picture wasn't as nice but shows how either some Future or Nail polish keeps everything in place.

very nice!

Any pic tutorial you could offer? Or know of any online? Need pics of where to actually apply the future/nail polish...is it applied to the tab or to the slot? does it make a difference? Also, how much do you apply?

Did you add anything to the tailwing tabs? if so, did it help?

...where to actually apply the future/nail polish...is it applied to the tab or to the slot? does it make a difference? Also, how much do you apply?

It's actually not that difficult to explain. In general, you will only want to apply it to the edges of the respective holes/openings and not to the tabs and I'll explain the logic behind my opinion.

To Secure Arms

To keep the arms more secure, apply your preferred thickening agent onto the edges of the holes in the legs (inside of the calves area). If you apply it to the tabs on the arms, you will make it more difficult to open/extract them since they already have a tight fit (at least on mine) and you don't want it to be any more difficult to pull them out from the forearms for fighter mode. Please See Post 1766 for further info regarding the arms.

To Secure Legs

To keep the legs (referencing the top of the intake) more secure, only apply your preferred thickener onto the edges of the holes in the top of the intake. If you apply it to the tabs coming from the chest area, you will thicken them up making inserting the arms into them (for battroid mode) unnecessarily more difficult since it is already pretty solid and secure as is (again, at least on mine it was).

Summary

Only the legs end up getting any thickening agent.

Another tip: Since thickening agents vary in their "thickening" effectiveness you can consider applying in stages. Since each hole opening has 4 sides that you can each individually thicken, you don't have to do them all at once. Doing just 2 sides might be enough to satisfy how secure you want it.

Now on the contrary, if anyones tabs are not thick enough and needing to be built up, then apply it to the tabs, but it would be better to start with the openings in my opinion. Also, if you do need to build up the tabs that come out of the forearms, if they ever become tight/harder to pull out you can always just open the forearms and push them out.

Edited by Bobby

Finally get to enjoy my VF-2SS in fighter mode! B))

Last picture wasn't as nice but shows how either some Future or Nail polish keeps everything in place.

Nice. Are you leaving the tailwing pivot covers off? Unfortunately one of the tailwing's on mine didn't agree with being where it was so decided to leave the hinge. Nothing a little CA won't fix. Thanks for the tips on how to stiffen it up. Mines is a floppy mess.

It's actually not that difficult to explain. In general, you will only want to apply it to the edges of the respective holes/openings and not to the tabs and I'll explain the logic behind my opinion.

To Secure Arms

To keep the arms more secure, apply your preferred thickening agent onto the edges of the holes in the legs (inside of the calves area). If you apply it to the tabs on the arms, you will make it more difficult to open/extract them since they already have a tight fit and you don't want it to be any more difficult to pull them out from the forearms for fighter mode.

To Secure Legs

To keep the legs (referencing the top of the intake) more secure, only apply your preferred thickener onto the edges of the holes in the top of the intake. If you apply it to the tabs coming from the chest area, you will thicken them up making inserting the arms into them (for battroid mode) unnecessarily more difficult since it is already pretty solid and secure as is.

Summary

Only the legs end up getting any thickening agent.

Another tip: Since thickening agents vary in their "thickening" effectiveness you can consider applying in stages. Since each hole opening has 4 sides that you can each individually thicken, you don't have to do them all at once. Doing just 2 sides might be enough to satisfy how secure you want it.

Now on the contrary, if anyones tabs are not thick enough and needing to be built up, then apply it to the tabs, but it would be better to start with the openings in my opinion.

Thanks! So for some one that is trying this for the first time...what is more "goof-proof" future or clear nail polish? I'm thinking nail polish would be easier since it already has the "brush"...but what works best for the newbies....especially in terms of the VF-2SS?

And what of the tailwing tabs...is there any hope?

Edited by jvmacross

Future can be removed with Windex or Ammonia if I'm not mistaken. I think even acrylic nail polish works the same way. Don't take my word on the nail polish though I have tried using Windex on a Future substitute.

Thanks! So for some one that is trying this for the first time...what is more "goof-proof" future or clear nail polish? I'm thinking nail polish would be easier since it already has the "brush"...but what works best for the newbies....especially in terms of the VF-2SS?

And what of the tailwing tabs...is there any hope?

For me personally, you wanna do something like this as few times as possible and you want to be able to make sure you have good control when applying whatever it is. So I always have a couple bottles of this lying around because it can actually be applied just like nail polish :D

loctite.png

It's not gonna be at every store...I usually see it at office supply stores or Walmart more often than I do something like a Home Depot. But like others have said, once you apply it, it is night-and-day difference! I only did the 2 long edges of the openings on mine.

Edited by Bobby

For me personally, you wanna do something like this as few times as possible and you want to be able to make sure you have good control when applying whatever it is. So I always have a couple bottles of this lying around because it can actually be applied just like nail polish :D

It's not gonna be at every store...I usually see it at office supply stores or Walmart more often than I do something like a Home Depot. But like others have said, once you apply it, it is night-and-day difference! It actually makes a 'click' sound when it goes in and I only did the long edges (2 per hole) of the openings on mine.

Thanks! So that is what you used to "tighten" the leg slots where the arm tabs slide into? I'll look for it this weekend. Thanks again for the tips!

Thanks! So that is what you used to "tighten" the leg slots where the arm tabs slide into? I'll look for it this weekend. Thanks again for the tips!

Yes, this is what I used and did it to both the slots for the arms and the hips. Your brain will go from thinking, "Man, I don't wanna even touch that thing!" to "Man I can't wait to pick it up n' hold it!"

BTW...on another note, is everyone aware that the feet do retract in and out from the legs (if so I didn't see any comment about it sorry)? Makes it even TALLER in battroid mode :wub:

Yes, this is what I used and did it to both the slots for the arms and the hips. Your brain will go from thinking, "Man, I don't wanna even touch that thing!" to "Man I can't wait to pick it up n' hold it!"

BTW...on another note, is everyone aware that the feet do retract in and out from the legs (if so I didn't see any comment about it sorry)? Makes it even TALLER in battroid mode :wub:

Yep. I think I saw that in the manual posted by GBMSHop. Pciture No. 20. ;)

003.jpg

For all Sylvie owners....stand alone SAP preorders are open! 5,190 yen. Coming August!

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-017430&page=top

EDIT: looks like it's coming with a display stand...oh joy.

Edited by UN Spacy

« CAUTION » ARM TAB HINGES « CAUTION »

I disassembled the arm in prep to modify and came across something you definitely should be aware of if when transforming into fighter mode. Even more so if you plan on or have used superglue/nail polish/future, etc. to make it more sturdy.

Quick Overview: In fighter mode ET's uses 4 contact points that hold it together: 2 for the legs and 2 for the arms. I am referring only the ones for holding the arms.

Description: The tabs that extend out of the forearms to connect the arms to the lower legs have an INCREDIBLY under engineered hinge. There is a substantial risk of breaking this hinge if you thicken either the tabs and/or the holes and are not careful when pushing the forearm tabs into the legs because of the need to apply more pressure.

Explanation: This diagram represents the hinge internals. The large folding forearm panel and the tiny connecting tab have a metal rod running through them which is very sturdy. However, supporting this entire assembly are tiny, molded pin-sized pegs.

hinge.png

Below is the metal hinge for the tab and the forearm coverplate. You can see the tiny hinge pegs are on the actual arm itself. To contrast, Transformers usually use a dimple for the hinge so if too much force is applied it snaps out. This peg being longer has the potential to bend, stress, or break. When inserting the tab into the leg for fighter mode, almost all support gets placed on the bottom peg-hinge.

hinges.png

Conclusion: Whether you thicken the tabs/holes or not, while inserting the forearm tabs into the legs to convert to fighter mode, always be careful and not press too hard or you will eventually snap one of these tiny pegs because all the force is focused on these 2 points...they are only 1mm thick.

An EDIT to Post #1754, consider not even applying any thickening agent on the arm tabs. You may find that you are quite satisfied with just improving the leg tabs (which are waaaay more sturdy). I will go so far as to suggest that if you want to preserve these hinges in the forearm tabs from ever stressing or breaking, just forego even using the tabs while in fighter mode as it still holds together extremely well imo by just improving the leg/hip tab.

Edited by Bobby

very nice!

Any pic tutorial you could offer? Or know of any online? Need pics of where to actually apply the future/nail polish...is it applied to the tab or to the slot? does it make a difference? Also, how much do you apply?

Thank you!! I'll take a pic or two later if you like. Literally if you have a bottle of regular Nail polish handy, simply take the brush and apply really light brush strokes-coats to the tabs on the arms and the pegs that legs lock into in fighter mode.

For the Arm pegs I just coated the top. (4-5 coats)

For the legs I did both I applied the polish to all four sides, again about 4-5 coats.

Let it dry fully and then everything should pop into place nice & snug. If still just slightly loose, apply one more coat! As for the Tailwing/stabilizers I haven't played with those yet, going take some creativity to make that work properly. But I have a few ideas.

Also, as for the separate SAP armor for Silive..... Pre-ordered!! :D

« CAUTION » ARM TAB HINGES « CAUTION »

I disassembled the arm in prep to modify and came across something you definitely should be aware of if when transforming into fighter mode. Even more so if you plan on or have used superglue/nail polish/future, etc. to make it more sturdy.

Quick Overview: In fighter mode ET's uses 4 contact points that hold it together: 2 for the legs and 2 for the arms. I am referring only the ones for holding the arms.

Description: The tabs that extend out of the forearms to connect the arms to the lower legs have an INCREDIBLY under engineered hinge. There is a substantial risk of breaking this hinge if you thicken either the tabs and/or the holes and are not careful when pushing the forearm tabs into the legs because of the need to apply more pressure.

Explanation: This diagram represents the hinge internals. The large folding forearm panel and the tiny connecting tab have a metal rod running through them which is very sturdy. However, supporting this entire assembly are tiny, molded pin-sized pegs.

Conclusion: Whether you thicken the tabs/holes or not, while inserting the forearm tabs into the legs to convert to fighter mode, always be careful and not press too hard or you will eventually snap one of these tiny pegs because all the force is focused on these 2 points...they are only 1mm thick.

An EDIT to Post #1754, consider not even applying any thickening agent on the arm tabs. You may find that you are quite satisfied with just improving the leg tabs (which are waaaay more sturdy). I will go so far as to suggest that if you want to preserve these hinges in the forearm tabs from ever stressing or breaking, just forego even using the tabs while in fighter mode as it still holds together extremely well imo by just improving the leg/hip tab.

Thanks for this update, Bobby. Really appreciate it. It will be helpful once I got mine. ;)

Thank you!! I'll take a pic or two later if you like. Literally if you have a bottle of regular Nail polish handy, simply take the brush and apply really light brush strokes-coats to the tabs on the arms and the pegs that legs lock into in fighter mode.

For the Arm pegs I just coated the top. (4-5 coats)

For the legs I did both I applied the polish to all four sides, again about 4-5 coats.

Let it dry fully and then everything should pop into place nice & snug. If still just slightly loose, apply one more coat! As for the Tailwing/stabilizers I haven't played with those yet, going take some creativity to make that work properly. But I have a few ideas.

Also, as for the separate SAP armor for Silive..... Pre-ordered!! :D

You too, 505! Really appreciate sharing your fixes to the forum. ;)

For all Sylvie owners....stand alone SAP preorders are open! 5,190 yen. Coming August!

Just noticed that the Nexx bundle also comes with a display base...but not the Faerie bundle....

I have a feeling that the display stand that comes with the Nexx bundle and the SAP stand alone set are actually for the Squire Bits. The Faerie one doesn't come with Squire Bits.

Is nexx's leg armor different? The stand alone versions leg armor looks like a solid piece without the cooler gun pod.

Yes. Nexx's leg armor is different. He's the only who carries the Heavy Rail Gun which he mounts it on the leg armor. ;) That's why I'm having second thoughts on which SAP should I go too since I don't want to spend too much. :unsure:

Edited by no3ljm

Not sure if I want the SAP anymore.

BTW. Where's Save?! I'd like to hear his opinion about this.

+1

I'm curious as well after I heard their podcast before. Any thoughts or new podcast episode focusing on this toy after it got released? ;)

Yep, lots of regret on this one for me. I rushed in when I should have adopted a wait and see attitude.

I knew I was going to feel burned on this one. I thought I might get away with just first degree burns, but it looks like things are finally moving into the second degree territory.

Yep, lots of regret on this one for me. I rushed in when I should have adopted a wait and see attitude.

I knew I was going to feel burned on this one. I thought I might get away with just first degree burns, but it looks like things are finally moving into the second degree territory.

Why's that? The MSRP of the VF-2SS and the separate SAP is pretty similar to the MSRP of the VF-2SS + SAP. Shipping being the big difference.

Well, for one thing, I could have had a red stripe instead of a yellow stripe.

Plus, the more I look at pics of the SAP, the more I think it looks really, really bad.

Don't mind me. Just having some AmiAmi pre-order remorse is all. I just gotta wait till May to see what the final verdict is going to be.

Does this mean there will not be any Silvie 2.0 release with fixes that possibly come with Nexx?

I'm thinking there is no fix coming with the Nexx version at all.

I'm really highly doubtful that ET will bother to apply any improvements to fix the issues found, so I've cancelled my hlj-po for Nexx.

I might still get the Nexx or Sylvie+SAP if it ever goes to the bargain-bin.

Well, for one thing, I could have had a red stripe instead of a yellow stripe.

Plus, the more I look at pics of the SAP, the more I think it looks really, really bad.

Don't mind me. Just having some AmiAmi pre-order remorse is all. I just gotta wait till May to see what the final verdict is going to be.

That's why most of us always suggest to use HLJ so you still have a chance to cancel if ever you have second thoughts. And no customer banning for making cancelations prior of release date. (And by saying this, I meant cancelling weeks before the release date.)

Hey guys, for those of you who have not tried this yet with your VF-2SS, here are a few pics of what I did so you can actually hold Silvie in Fighter mode and not have the legs constantly popping off.

Just as it says in the pictures, make sure to apply the polish in light even coats and you're good to go.

I also ordered in some Mini-Magnets as the Gunpod is still an issue (Polish helps... a little), as the Rifle is hollow, maybe that and some metal with solve the issue. Also I'm thinking some reinforcing wouldn't hurt when I get the SAP.

Hope this helps out!

Also, Silvies SAP armor looks great and also comes with the Squires... Awesome! B))

post-6180-0-30181900-1457146698_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-42406000-1457146716_thumb.jpg

Edited by 505thAirborne

I've got some second doubts about my Fairy VF-2SS. My plan was to put its SAP on my Sylvie and display the Fairy naked in GERWALK. With Sylvie in fighter mode and then Nexx in battroid, I could display one in each mode as well as having one naked and one of each armor variant. The problems are that so far, the pics I've seen of GERWALK is not looking that good... And the extra Squire Bits with the stand alone SAP would have been really nice and it could have been a better and more affordable choice if I just cancelled the Fairy and skipped on displaying GERWALK altogether. I have been able to cancel NY orders a few times before, but I know it's a risk... Decisions, decisions. :S

It would help if someone showed some pics of really cool GERWALK poses. ;) Then I might not mind keeping my Fairy preorder after all. :p

in the review of collectiondx says that in the line art never appears the landing gear (also in the anime or manga) its a relative truth because in the line art of the vf xs the predecessor you can see the landing gear so I assume it must have the same

post-3872-0-20662900-1457189607_thumb.gif

Thank you, 505thAirborne and Bobby. Those were great tutorials. I had some future floor polish in the house and used that on the tabs. After letting the VF-2SS set overnight, both legs and arms on my copy no longer pop off randomly in fighter mode. I was dubious at first, given the engineering of the toy, but ended up being impressed with the result. B))

The other issue that I had to fix on my VF-2SS was an arm ratchet (I'm guessing bad QC). The right arm wasn't clicking out of the box like the left when moving the bicep joint. Unfortunately, the "shoulder pads" do not pop off easily as they do on Yamato/Arcadia's VF-1. The good news is that there wasn't a lot of adhesive fixing the two halves of the right shoulder pad together. The bad news is that there was just enough that I had to snap it apart to get at the ratcheting mechanism. Once that was done, it was a simple job of removing screws, resetting the ratchet and spring and then putting everything back together. I also added a metal pin to support the shoulder pad while fixing the break.

Here's a photo of the piece after I finished. You can see that it's now janky/rough compared to the good piece in the background, but I don't mind.

post-5492-0-28953300-1457204685_thumb.png

I don't know what it is about ET's VF-2SS, but I'm more inclined to mess with it and customize it than I am to dive in and customize my VF-1 Valkyries.

Anyway, add me to the list of those trying out panel lining for the first time. I'm a complete newbie, though, and I decided to stick to a 0.5mm mechanical pencil (Zebra, if it matters). I thought the effect was very pleasing, albeit subtle. Here's a classic top down shot with the cell phone: gear down in fighter mode. Just natural afternoon sunlight coming in from the windows.

post-5492-0-12911800-1457205018_thumb.png

And another shot, from the rear.

post-5492-0-27581000-1457205078_thumb.png

Edit: Grammar.

Edited by technoblue

after looking at some reviews, pics, the bad, the good, and the prices from different stores I might actually want to pre-order one.

Looking at the price, Anime-export seem to have the lowest at 22484 yen ($197.58) Shipping shouldn't be more than nippon-yasan so it should be 5400 yen or below.

their deadline is 04-08-2016 so I have have a bit more time to decide.