Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Fighter mode is my fav, Just how floppy is it? are talking Vf-25F bandai chogokin (which is pretty tight), or we talking about that Vf2-ss Bandai Model Kit that falls apart just holding it?

It is not "floppy" per say....the fit is just very poor and weak in FIGHTER MODE....some areas I would expect to get worse over time....it will hold it's poses and configurations in gerwalk and battroid........

The poor fit in fighter mode is due to two areas and 4 attachment points.....

The first area is where the arms attach to the legs....see pic

gallery_12176_633_50630.jpg

This would normally not be an issue...it attaches very similar to how the arms and legs attach on a VF-1.....the issue is that on the VF-1...the design allows a further attachment point between both arms...the VF-2SS as designed by ET...can only connect between the arm and the leg...the arms cannot connect to each other....

To make matters worse, the flip-out style arm tabs as designed by ET are too thin and do not stay secured to the legs when they are inserted into the leg slots or you can argue the slots in the legs are to big for the arm tabs.....

gallery_12176_633_13012.jpg

......this can be resolved by either making the arm tabs thicker or narrowing the leg slots....

The second problem area in fighter mode is the where the leg assembly attaches to the fighter body.....

gallery_12176_633_52501.jpg

....See where the arrow is pointing?....That is the only area where the leg assembly attaches to the body in fighter mode....and it is moderately tight out of the box, but I can definitely see this getting loose over time if you transform it often.....the tab is located on the body and slides into a slot located on the leg...it does not click or lock in place....

I would not trust swooshing the VF-2SS without holding onto both of it's legs......and afterwards, due to the poor fitting connection where the arms and legs connect....you will surely need to "adjust" it.....

So again, not really floppy...just not very secure in fitment in FIGHTER MODE....it is not something you will want to handle too much in fighter mode as its attachment points will only get worse for wear over time.....and probably not that much time...

Edited by jvmacross

Thanks for the review, jvmacross! I'm pretty sure the MWF will post/feature it up on the front and FB-page when they wake up.

I think the discoloration issue is pretty minor. The "joons" plastic-quality is prolly livable.

However, it is quite unfortunate about the tabs not locking properly in place.

"Swooshability" is pretty important to some, if not most, of us.

We can only hope that ET will get wind of your review and apply the necessary improvements for the Nexx version. Can't have their Nexx's SAP flopping all over like the old Bandai kit.

Should we give them a B or a C for effort?

If this was a $100-$120 valk, prolly at least a solid B+...

After having it for a few days...a solid B+ overall.....it loses points due to the poor fit in fighter mode and ugly Gerwalk mode, but makes up for it with a very solid Battroid and Gerwalk (although worst looking mode). This score is just based on the toy, as everything else, such as packaging, etc would do little to affect the purchasing decision for many but the most die-hard collectors.

However, I think the biggest impediment for the Silvie VF-2SS was all ET's doing....they should have sold it with the SAP...it would have been perceived as a better purchase packaged as a valk + armor combo.....I think many customers skipped the Silvie when ET announced the bundle sets and will be purchasing at least one of the upcoming SAP bundles...I have no reason to believe that the VF-2SS will not be able to accommodate the SAP armor in at least the Battroid and Gerwalk modes....I'm thinking the current weak attachment points in fighter mode will be "fixed" by either improvements from ET or better attachment points via the armor itself. Well....at least I am hoping that will be the case! ^_^

As far as the price....it is a very niche product with most likely a small run, so the price is probably as low as it can get for ET to still make a profit...with that said.....if my thoughts are correct regarding dropped pre-sales after the SAP bundles were announced...it may be possible to get one at.... "gulp".... clearance at some later point in time.....but that is if they do not announce a stand-alone SAP.....just some personal speculation on the market for this toy....I guess it all depends on how few they actually produced...

Will be getting mine, on the 24th...(according to EMS.). Finally.... Was getting tired of reading about it. Would like to know if I'm gonna hate it or love it.....or give it away to someone who might enjoy it more than me....( as if....lol..)

But good ting is there are other stuff with it.....So if it's really that bad, I'll have some 'consolation' mechas and gokins to look 'play' with....

Did a quick shake video for my VF-2

https://youtu.be/ZyxAzGrUYmA

Thanks for posting that....I could actually hear the the tightness of the arm pegs as you pulled them out of the leg slots...great job.....so really...just some application of future eh?

So just a quick question....where your tabs loose fitting before you applied the future? Just wondering if maybe I have a defective one....

I wonder if that fix will also work for the tailwings....those are even worse IMO.....

BTW...did you also apply future to the tabs that slide into the legs above the intakes?

Edited by jvmacross

I'm mostly not saying anything that hasn't been said, but I'm throwing my $0.02 in here for further confirmation, etc.

I finally got mine today from HLJ, and just finished transforming it directly to battroid mode... A harrowing experience to say the least... But wow... I really have to agree with what other forum members who have the thing have said... It really has a presence in battroid mode... And it definitely looks better in person. Even the tabs on top of the chest are slightly less annoying/grating :p . I think a lot of the presence of this thing comes from the fact that the VF-2SS has always been striking to me, especially in battroid.

Fighter is definitely a floppy mess, but it's less floppy than the CM Legioss (at least as far as I can remember, my Legioss toys have been in storage for years). The legioss is overall a better built toy with higher quality plastic. Some pledge could go some way toward fixing the floppiness issues in fighter mode, but I don't see it being eliminated entirely (I'll try pledge some time over the next few days and post how it goes if anyone is interested). Given the slots on this thing that are clearly meant for the SAP, it's possible the SAP could also alleviate some of the fighter mode floppiness as some others had suggested. Time will tell.

Now that I have it in battroid, I'm definitely thinking about the Nexx... But I haven't made up my mind. I REALLY hope enough interest is shown here to prompt Arcadia or Bandai to give us a proper 1/60 VF-2SS... But for now... this Evolution Toy version makes a nice decoration that I'll probably rarely touch.

Thanks for posting that....I could actually hear the the tightness of the arm pegs as you pulled them out of the leg slots...great job.....so really...just some application of future eh?

So just a quick question....where your tabs loose fitting before you applied the future? Just wondering if maybe I have a defective one....

I wonder if that fix will also work for the tailwings....those are even worse IMO.....

BTW...did you also apply future to the tabs that slide into the legs above the intakes?

1 arm and 1 leg tab were each loose out the box, and I didn't use Future on mine, I used super glue since it works better. I only recommend Future for those who don't have experience with super glue.

I applied the glue to each of the tabs you have circled on your pics a couple of posts up.

1 arm and 1 leg tab were each loose out the box, and I didn't use Future on mine, I used super glue since it works better. I only recommend Future for those who don't have experience with super glue.

I applied the glue to each of the tabs you have circled on your pics a couple of posts up.

Wait, what?

Super glue?

:huh:

i see stickers. are they even worth putting on. will they make any difference.

I was probably going to add the VF sticker to mine...it should have been tampo printed...I don't think the manual tells you where the stickers go other than the VF sticker...but they shouldn't be hard to figure out their placement....they are standard aircraft warnings, etc...

I'd like to see someone do some panel lining and light weathering on it though.....

The more I read about what people have to say, the better I feel about this valk. I mean I don't have expectations of this piece to begin with. I'm just so happy I have a physical representation of the toy to hold in my hand after all these years!

Also I will definitely be panel lining it. It's looks so much better!!!!

That's more the result I was picturing people describing.

I want to love this toy, I love the old Bandit kit but for the price they're selling this at, and this is a toy not a garage kit, I shouldn't need to do much fixing to get it to work/look right.

My wing problem looks like they took it out of the mold too early and it curled. That should never have gotten through QC. Maybe I got a fighter mode lemon. Battroid is great but I want all the modes to be decent. Sent a message to Anime Export. Hopefully they can fix the wing issue or something.

Frack. Now I've gotta wait for their response before using Futures or super glue to thicken up those tabs.

From here on out....All VF toys must be subjected to the flop test! Can someone post video results of an Arcadia VF-4 flop test....ASAP! :rolleyes:

+1 for flop test :D

Here's my flop test of a stock vf2ss. No future or superglue.

Also just found out my wing is malformed so it can't stick out straight without flopping. Grrrr

B))B))B))B))B)) for the flop test video

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: for the result

Yes super glue, it serves the same purpose as Future, but is quicker and better in my experience. Though I advise caution for anyone who hasnt used it to build up the tabs as they might permanently fuse the parts accidentally.

Some quick and crappy pics

That's looking pretty dang good there. The panel lining really makes a difference. Very nice!

Just received mine from HLJ at my office.

Can't really play with it here though as gotta work :(

But I did briefly take it out of the box for a minute. Initial comments:

1) It's bigger than I thought it would be. I've always thought the VF-2SS was quite a small Valk, so the size suprized me.

2) Plastic does look cheap.

3) Not much detail or panel lines, but that's not really Evolution's fault, the original lineart doesn't have a great deal of detail either.

4) Box art is pretty spiffy.

More comments later after I have time to actually handle and transform it.

Yes super glue, it serves the same purpose as Future, but is quicker and better in my experience. Though I advise caution for anyone who hasnt used it to build up the tabs as they might permanently fuse the parts accidentally.

Some quick and crappy pics

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1548/25131389461_016fa44a01_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1513/25106331552_df61f10107_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1709/25131389241_0883ae68cc_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1588/24597780263_0784198880_c.jpg

Them paneling are VERY NICE indeed!

ET should've really gone above and beyond and panel-lined their Sylvie.

People might be a bit more tolerant of the other faults and damn more excited if their VF-2SS is paneled as pretty as that.

As such, for all the faults so far (including the one busted hinge), at least we haven't gotten a sporadic $300 self-destructing bum hip/leg issue report, as of yet...