Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Bobby got the design pretty much spot on! A non- obtrusive 'bit' that just clips in. That's exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned a part that could slot into the already present 'tab-holes'. Makes a hell of a difference. At that stage, I'd rather have an 'add-on' part than a mess.

As it is now, there's no way I'd ever display it in flight...I would just leave it resting on its *cough* amazingly detailed landing gears. ( not even little moulded shock absorbers...*sigh*.)

Again, great job Bobby, at least now there is more of continuity between the front undercarriage part and the back, not such an eyesore 👍.

I really wonder what people truly thought of the final Ver they saw at the various presentations/conventions? Issue here is probably the Japanese way of face to face criticising (lack of rather). Even if a majority thought it looked crap, they most probably were 'uber polite', saying it was the 'dog's bollocks'...🐩

Had it been presented at western toy/hobby fair, pretty sure the reception would've been somehow different. More along the lines of "not bad for a prototype "....."What? Really! That's the final version!? ", "My 1992 Bandai kit looks better than this" ( had to put it in there...kidding though...it looks more like a 1/60 V2 of the Bandai kit 😏).

All this said, I'm still looking forward to receiving it ! :-p

post-27197-0-92181500-1455889337.jpg

The downfall of this thing is that it is priced comparably to other high-end Macross toys whislt lacking anything resembling a high-end figure. If it was hovering around $100 I probably would not have canceled my pre-order months ago. For me, the money is spent better elsewhere. As cool as it is that someone came out with a Macross II valk, I can wait for bargin bins, or another companies take on it. Too expensive for how lackluster it is.

I am hoping enough initial buyers are able to forgive the faults of this VF-2SS to follow through with purchases for the rest of the already announced line-up.

If we can get past the VF-2SS "hump"....I think ET may have an easier time with the development of the VF-2J Icarus....assuming they do the Icarus next.

The transformation of the Icarus is not as "exotic" as that of the VF-2SS...it is more inline with that of the original VF-1....so even if they were to go full-on 80's swingbar technology...it still would look much better than the transformation mechanism they opted for the VF-2SS...

vf-2ja-lineart.gif

I definitely want a VF-2J so I'm still all in on the rest of the VF-2SS line, warts and all....looking forward to the SAP versions next! ^_^

All I've seen and everything I've read (anguished English and all) sounds and looks exactly like what I've been expecting, So I'll not be disappointed. The leg bars on underneath are fugly yes. But so are the bars on all my Bandai 1/55 Chunky Monkies. I still love those for what they are. And I'll love this too for what it is. The VF-2SS that has been teased and promised by other companies but never delivered and that I've always wanted. I remember watching Macross 2 via U.S Renditions looooong ago when it first hit VHS and being wowed by episode 1. That wow gradually turned to disappointed up until the last episode where I was just shaking my head in disbelief at the train wreck my eyes had just bore witness to. Yet afterwards I still though that all the mecha designs from that show HAD to be made into toys and HAD to be added to my collection. They're still some of my favorites.. Kudos to Evo Toys for having the salt to make this bad boy so I could finally add it to my shelf!

Here's a review of a production copy:

http://ameblo.jp/digitamin/entry-12130602328.html

Nice pics, but I reckon they're more marketing-pics than review pics. All the shots and choice of angles show only the nice sides. Some of the unavoidable questionable ones are ingeniously shadowed ( http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20160219/23/digitamin/e5/43/j/o0700052513571739325.jpg )

As such, I think we can all agree that this ET is a big improvement compared to the old Bandai 1/100 kit. Unfortunately, just about anything is an improvement on that old Bandai kit since it's a very crappy kit..

I agree with Yeti that the major downfall on this ET version is really the high-end pricing they did just to level with Bandai and Arcadia pricing. However the engineering and materials are already suspect on this ET.

As I've been looking at this, I've had this feeling that it looks similar to something else. The other day I finally figured out what it was. This reminds me of the semi-recent Transformers Leader class Jetfire.

The plastic looks about the same quality. And both have some considerable levels of unsightliness when flipped over to look at their undercarriage. At least the VF-2 doesn't seem to have giant, gaping, glaring empty spots on the arms, but it does remind me of the Leader Jetfire toy in a very vague sense.

Of course, Leader Jetfire is a $50 toy (which should probably be $30). This is a smidgen more in price.

All that said, I can't wait to get mine. Even though the pictures are disappointing, they still, oddly enough, have me excited to finally get the Faerie Squadron version I ordered whenever it finally ships.

In a way, I now kind of wish I had stuck with my Sylvie pre-order and foregone the SAP. I mean, the fighter itself doesn't look fantastic, but it looks sorta OK. I can see myself enjoying all three of it's modes without the SAP. And from all the pics it looks like the SAP is a total disaster unless all I want to do is display the fighter in Battroid mode forever.

If someone decides to create that snap on cover part and offer it on Shapeways, then I'll probably pick one of those up. I'm wondering why the designers didn't do that to begin with, or make the intakes hinged and flip forward to reveal the swingbars or something.

The crazy thing is NEXX seems so much better, the faerie squadron one looks like this one, but nexx is way more detailed.

Based on the photos we've seen so far, I think they're all the same mold. Only Silvie was noted that it looks like the first prototype they did. There's no news or info yet from Japanese group saying that the final product they received kinda looks like the one in display.

I think to make the long story short on this one is that if this is priced as a $100 toy, everyone will dive in in spite of the design and quality of the toy. For sure everyone wants to have their own 1/60 VF-2SS. The only and I believe the sole reason why this is being picked upon is because of the price. And since it has that kind of price it will always be being compared with Bandai and Arcadia Valkyrie releases. Or worst it will always be called the scaled-up updated version of 1/100 Bandai kit.

Edited by no3ljm

Sorry to go OT but with all he Evo Toys talk it caused me to bust out some of my Dynamite Action toys of theirs last night. Sorry for the cruddy pics. This is why I love them..

post-363-0-47110300-1455910232_thumb.jpg

post-363-0-85981300-1455910273_thumb.jpg

According to my tracking info from AmiAmi mine was shipped at 8:15PM last night and cleared Chicago customs at 10:46am this morning. Looks like they're using fold boosters for international mail now.

Not if it's SAL.

I'm still waiting for my DYRL-BD from ami. Been over the usual two-week SAL already... :angry:

Sorry, Dave.

Nice pics, but ET's VF-2SS is not part of their Dynamite Action line.

I know it's not but I have no doubt it will be similar in build quality (or lack thereof). Their Dynamite Action line always share a few qualities. They feel like a hybrid of a Model kit and toy, they feel fragile and fiddly but look great and employ questionable design or assembly choices. The VF-2SS is no doubt going to check all of those boxes. But until the V2 comes along or another company grows a set and attempts to one-up Evo Toy's effort, I'll get it and love it. And also hope that Bandai announces their attempt at a VF-2SS soon. Even though it would be a Tamashi Exclusive limited to 300 preorders and cost $350...

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

I know it's not but I have no doubt it will be similar in build quality (or lack thereof). Their Dynamite Action line always share a few qualities. They feel like a hybrid of a Model kit and toy, they feel fragile and fiddly but look great and employ questionable design or assembly choices. The VF-2SS is no doubt going to check all of those boxes. But until the V2 comes along or another company grows a set and attempts to one-up Evo Toy's effort, I'll get it and love it. And also hope that Bandai announces their attempt at a VF-2SS soon. Even though it would be a Tamashi Exclusive limited to 300 preorders and cost $350...

I'd pay $350 for a Bandai quality VF-2SS, I'd pay even more for a VF-2JA.

I am hoping enough initial buyers are able to forgive the faults of this VF-2SS to follow through with purchases for the rest of the already announced line-up.

If we can get past the VF-2SS "hump"....I think ET may have an easier time with the development of the VF-2J Icarus....assuming they do the Icarus next.

The transformation of the Icarus is not as "exotic" as that of the VF-2SS...it is more inline with that of the original VF-1....so even if they were to go full-on 80's swingbar technology...it still would look much better than the transformation mechanism they opted for the VF-2SS...

vf-2ja-lineart.gif

I definitely want a VF-2J so I'm still all in on the rest of the VF-2SS line, warts and all....looking forward to the SAP versions next! ^_^

That is cool! The SS is not but the 2J definitely is! B)) I definitely much prefer the VF-2J over the SS.. If they were to ever learn from the SS and make the 2J then depending on how good it turned out I'd definitely buy one!

I'd pay $350 for a Bandai quality VF-2SS, I'd pay even more for a VF-2JA.

I didn't want to bring religion into it but amen to that!

Seconded.

third'd, fouth'd and fith'd! hehe! :p:lol:

Edited by spanner76

Then the added complaint would have been that they chipped upon the first transformation... :rolleyes:

yeah but I agree they would have been a bit more discrete

OK....let's not exaggerate....well, maybe just a little... ^_^

1455852507861.jpg

gallery_12176_633_1397973.jpg

yeah that was a bit hard for the first transforming toy of ET lets keep in mind nobody wanted to pick this license, and I think there is a lot of anime magic on the transformation of the VF-2