Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Too bad they couldn't figure out a way to make the inner intakes a bit larger to hide the swing bars somehow. Those inner intakes are tiny but I guess that's how it is in the lineart.

Link to underside pic.Click only if you really wanna see it

Gonna see how it looks panel lined when it comes in.

Edited by wmkjr

I don't care what the reviews (or reality) say, I got my shipping notice this morning and I'm excited!

My expectations aren't too high, all it has to do is exist and I'll be happy. Finally, a VF-2SS in my collection? At least one valkyrie from every animated Macross released to date? That's all I ever needed.

...Well, unless they decide to make a marduk figure somehow...

Too bad they couldn't figure out a way to make the inner intakes a bit larger to hide the swing bars somehow. Those inner intakes are tiny but I guess that's how it is in the lineart.

Nice. We just need something to cover that metal bars. ;)

giphy.gif

To be honest, I can live with the underside swing bars, they are not pretty, but I'm seldom gonna look at the fighter mode from the underside and will just have to avoid loooking at it from the front......hahaha.

Apart from either having 3 different swapable hip joint parts like the Bandai kit had, or having a removable white plastic cover piece to hide the hip bars in Fighter mode, I can't think what else Evolution could have done.

Underside is messy....especially the front portion.

But it shouldn't be too hard to find a solution to hide the bars. Even if only partially.

A 3D printed 'cover' or even hand crafted part would do the trick, there's holes already there on each sides right above the bars that could be used for tabs to attach the "part" whilst in fighter mode. Have a rough idea for the shape of the part to so that it won't make it worse than it already is...

Only thing, this would make it parts forming well sort of.... ( not that it matters too much as it's not exactly the most anime accurate VF to start with)

Seeing all these issues, I can't wait to get it to start the 'beautifying job'

Nice. We just need something to cover that metal bars. ;)

Photoshop? :p

But really....someone should post a pic with the "diecast" photoshop'd out....to see what it could have looked like

Seems there should be a way to recess those parts and then be able to cover them up with panels...like Yamato did with the VF-4 legs....

AHHHHH!!!! :blink:

Anyone got pics to see how it compares to the anime?

Notice how the legs of the VF-2SS in fighter mode should be more parallel, not at a "V" angle...Every pics show the legs spread apart ( that sounds so wrong....).

The top view one of the VF-2SS in Its box is a good one.

Hopefully, it looks like the diecast hip joints will allow the top of the legs to swivel out to create that "parallel" look with the intakes. When they are tucked in and make that "V" you described it loses that cool look that's kinda reminiscent of wing-mounted Frontier Super Parts B))

Photoshop? :p

But really....someone should post a pic with the "diecast" photoshop'd out....to see what it could have looked like

Seems there should be a way to recess those parts and then be able to cover them up with panels...like Yamato did with the VF-4 legs....

I totally agree. Here's an experiment photochop below...the intakes on the underside of the chest plate should have a higher profile (not to mention more pronounced intakes) so that the shoulders can line up/tuck under them better to hide them. This piece could clip on (parts-former...booooo :o ) or, ideally be hinged (possibly sharing the underbody front canard hinge) so that it can open and close (swings open towards nose) to allow the diecast hip swivels a chance to get in and out of the way for transformation!!! ^_^ (one can dream, right?)
(underbody photoshop possibility...)
underbody_idea.png
(click below only if you wanna see the bare underbody overlayed w/idea)
Edited by Bobby

That'd be a good compromise for fighter mode. Maybe rework the fin area to make it more wedged shaped and start from there. It could unclip so that the stock intakes could be used for gerwalk to keep them inline with the wing section.

Edited by wmkjr

Another set of photos found on Twitter. Probably the same one who posted photos earlier. Just hoping to see someone will post what's 'under' there.

attachicon.gifCbgWs7IUEAAtqA9.jpg-large.jpeg

attachicon.gifCbgWswJUMAIsBz3.jpg-large.jpeg

attachicon.gifCbgiynAUsAA4PpX.jpg-large.jpeg

attachicon.gifCbgWt-8UcAA50_Z.jpg-large.jpeg

attachicon.gifCbgWul7W4AAGEDd.jpg-large.jpeg

I, uhh, I dunno.

Maybe it's just the way the dude is posing it, but that thing just seems to be not quite flattering to the old lineart...

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross2/vf-2ss.htm

in almost all modes, too.

Looks quite loose in that rear-view fighter-mode shot, too.

Maybe some of you here can tab it together better (if it even offers tabbing) when you finally receive your copy.

post-263-0-49143200-1455855608_thumb.gif

Edited by treatment

Hopefully, it looks like the diecast hip joints will allow the top of the legs to swivel out to create that "parallel" look with the intakes. When they are tucked in and make that "V" you described it loses that cool look that's kinda reminiscent of wing-mounted Frontier Super Parts B))

I totally agree. Here's an experiment photochop below...the intakes on the underside of the chest plate should have a higher profile (not to mention more pronounced intakes) so that the shoulders can line up/tuck under them better to hide them. This piece could clip on (parts-former...booooo :o ) or, ideally be hinged (possibly sharing the underbody front canard hinge) so that it can open and close (swings open towards nose) to allow the diecast hip swivels a chance to get in and out of the way for transformation!!! ^_^ (one can dream, right?)
(underbody photoshop possibility...)
underbody_idea.png
(click below only if you wanna see the bare underbody paired w/idea)

That would be nicer.

As such, do you guys think they should've left them swingbars painted like in the old promo-shot instead of unpainted (or is it actually painted gunmetal black?) like that?

post-263-0-47986400-1455857553_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

Exactly... thank you. Same pictures, one I would definitely buy, one I'll probably pass....

After seeing the unboxed pic...it looks like at the very least the proportioning from top down got better. Check out this overlay of the B-Club drawing on the final.

vf-2ss_comparo.gif

That iconic (recolored) rendering from the DEC 91 issue in three dimensions would almost fit ;)

The more I look at pictures, the more convinced I am that Evolution toys didn't even bother to look at any of the transformation or detail line art when they were making this toy. It really sucks because if you look at the line art, all the mechanicals to make a working, transforming toy are there. If a company with the engineering acumen of Arcadia or Bandai were to tackle this, it would work perfectly. Evolution just short-cutted the hell out of this thing though. they looked at where parts needed to be in each mode and used the simplest mechanism they could design to make it work regardless of how it actually looked.

OK....let's not exaggerate....well, maybe just a little... ^_^

1455852507861.jpg

I mean, what in the actual hell? why? just... why?

I don't get the whole construction of the toy. Why have a half inch gap between the arms and the fuselage and also not hiding the arms and shoulders behind the secondary intakes. One of the biggest problems of the toy is that it is so wonky. All the proportion problems that the toy has in Fighter-Mode stem from the thick fuselage and I don't get why it is there.

I have a request. Can someone who has this toy in hand tell my why the gap between the arms and the fuselage is there?

[edit:] Regarding Mikes comment. I don't think that the VF-2SS design is very hard to replicate on a physical model. Battroid-Mode proportions surely would have suffered from a sleek Fighter-Mode. However I agree with you that the engineering is lacking on this toy from the images posted. Just look at the hinges for the nacelles. Why are they so thick?

Edited by Scyla

:mellow: looks... moderately ok I guess but in the close up shots it certainly does give the impression its very cheaply made.. <_<

if it was around half the price i'd probably pick one up just for the sh!ts and giggles but not at the price they wanting for it.. -_-

pass